• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone into H&K?

swampcrawler

just currious, seems they arnt real big in louisiana. my first handgun was a little .22 revolver, then a .44 cap and ball, followed by another .44 cap and ball, followed by a .41 flintlock, followed by a s&w sigma (ew) followed by the HK 45. this thing is perfect for me. on the big side, heavy, built like a bulldozer and very, very accuate.

anyone els like the german girls? :p

cbpeck

I like H&K quite a bit, though I must admit that I don't own any. I do, however, look forward to owning one in the future.

It seems like their high(er) price point & limited distribution have kept them in the shadows of the competition for some time now.

Dreamer

If the H&K USP were to be built with an alloy frame and a stainless slide and barrel (no polymer) it would be, in my opinion, a candidate for a "nearly perfect handgun". The grips are comfy, the capacity is awesome for a .45acp, and the aesthetics are unique and attractive...

As it is it, it is a fine gun, but I think tremendously overpriced for what amounts to a bulky, heavy, and oddly-designed polymer pistol. For the same price you can get 2 Glocks, and they are more reliable and easier to get 3rd party accessories (sights, mags, holsters, etc) for...

Last edited:

Ma}{imus

The USP is one of my favorite handguns. While in don't personally item one, I have a friend who shares his HK assortment when I go shooting with him.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk

tim12232

I as well like the HK's; the USP is a very nice gun, many friends own it and I have shot it in 9mm .40 and .45. I have also shot the new p30 and I love the grip, but prefer to shoot the USP. Now with all that said, I will never buy one new, as I believe for the money the Glock is just as good of gun. If you get one, you wont be disappointed, your wallet might be though lol!

Tim

swampcrawler

they are not cheap, thats for sure. you deffinitly pay a few hundred for the name.

but, my HK45, which is the 45acp version of the p30, is just, in my own opinion, the closest to perfect i have seen. i love the grip, the ballance, it points well, recoil is....well id describe it as fluffy. kinda like gettin hit with a big pillow. its very accurate, and from what iv heard its realy hard to damage.

my complaints about it, mostly the little issue of the price tag. 1120 bucks. :eek: trigger pull is les than perfect. single action is good, not great, but double action is HORRIBLE. and its impossible to detail strip without a degree in engineering. as another owner said, "its like a chinese rubix cube in there". :p

but all in all i love it. but, for the money, glock is the way to go. i just liked the hk better and had a little money at the time.

The Wolfhound

H&K USP for me

Fell in love with it and was blessed with the resources to buy one. It is the only pistol that I know of that reliably will shoot shot shells to +P loads and not care. It eats anything and rolls right on. Points well, disassembles easily, reliable as hell. My only problem is that they want to multiply in the gunsafe so I keep mine on my hip.:lol: Had a P7PSP for a while too. What a strange but wonderful pistol that is. I do like much of what H & K has produced.

45acpForMe

There was a thread a while ago, something like what is your favorite gun and why. It had several H&K fans as well as all others.

My two favorite guns are Sig P220 and H&K USP. I shoot the sig better but the H&K is a close second and has a higher capacity at 12+1.

The USP is near perfect in my opinion and one of my reasons for getting one was the higher capacity. Other than being on the large side the price is the only issue. When I was shopping for mine the HK45 came out so everyone was trying to get one of those which made the USP price drop a bit. I got a brand new USP for $565 at gunbroker.com. I haven't seen another one below $700 since then. I also added a USP tactical to my stable but the higher sites don't allow it to fit my SERPA holster so it stays in the safe most of the time.

I agree that the DA trigger pull is high but not as high as some like the S&W Sigma. I understand that first trigger pull is supposed to be harder to avoid accidentally/premature pulling but I still think IMHO it could be brought down to 7-8lbs rather than the 10-11 they advertise.

Last edited:

Jack House

I don't own and never have fired any HK weston, but I'd love to be able to play with a USP.

I do, however, own a Walther P99 which is German made. I love it, very happy with my purchase.

Posted using my HTC Evo

SovereignAxe

I too own and carry a P99, and I love my German gal. But I got her, brand spanking new, for less than half the price of a USP!

I like H&K quite a bit, though I must admit that I don't own any. I do, however, look forward to owning one in the future.

It seems like their high(er) price point & limited distribution have kept them in the shadows of the competition for some time now.

this. An HK45 or USP .45 are on my wish list, but it will be a purchase of opportunity, as I won't be buying one new unless I come into a nice sum of cash.

J_Oliver

I must say I've always been a fan of glocks (also german made... well, close enough to germany). They have a wonderful track record. However, my next purchase is going to be an H&K P30. Ib love the feel of the customizable grip panels. A bit heavy on the pull in double, but otherwise smooth as can be. I have a slight issue with the placement and akward movement of the magazine release. Its just not something I'm used to. Nothing that can't be remedied with ample practice

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

45acpForMe

I must say I've always been a fan of glocks (also german made... well, close enough to germany). They have a wonderful track record. However, my next purchase is going to be an H&K P30. Ib love the feel of the customizable grip panels. A bit heavy on the pull in double, but otherwise smooth as can be. I have a slight issue with the placement and akward movement of the magazine release. Its just not something I'm used to. Nothing that can't be remedied with ample practice

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

While many dislike the mag release since it is so different than many other designs it is ambidextrous. I have talked to people that love Sig's but being left handed would never buy one. Also if your right hand is injured being able to activated it with your left is a plus granted at that point a mag change may be difficult.

I find that once I got used to the mag release mechanism it doesn't bother me. I have used the USP in practical pistol courses and noticed no additional difficulty activating it over my Sig Sauer P220.

tcmech

I have to admit that I like HK handguns, but I don't own one. If were to buy another 45 it would be FN or 1911 depending on how much discretionary funding I had at the time of the purchase.

As far as quality of the guns go I believe that you will not find a better gun than a glock, you may find guns that you like better, shoot better, or think look better, but glocks have a reputation for working every time. There are several guns that are every bit as good, just about anything from HK, Sig, S&W, Walther, Springfield, FN, and others are all fine guns that some may prefer.

As a disclaimer I do have a glock 36 in an IWB holster as I type this, and while I do not believe it is the finest handgun in the world, I don't know of any others that meet my needs any better than this one.

SovereignAxe

Just thought I'd chime in with a new experience from today.

In a previous post I said I would probably end up buying an HK45 or USP .45 one day. Well today I went to Mahoney's and got to handle an HK45 and I am in love. I really only liked it from what I'd read about it, and comparing that with the USP. And wow, that was the the most comfortable handgun I've ever held next to my Walther. They really got the grips right with that gun.

And then there's the weight of the thing. When my fiancee saw what I was going to point out to the clerk she said don't even bother handing it to her, as she knew it was going to be too big and heavy. Even I was surprised at the weight. I looked it up and it only weighs about 5oz more than my Walther. I told my fiancee she had to check out the weight and she was very surrpised. I got one last surprise when I was looking for the Eagle over N mark, and instead found "Made in USA" on the frame.

The best part of the experience was as the clerk was pulling the gun out of the cabinet he said to me, "you have good taste" and gave me a big smile.

They had it priced at $1000, and knowing what I know about this gun, and how much people pay for Kimbers, I would gladly buy the HK45 at that price if I had the money.

45acpForMe

Just thought I'd chime in with a new experience from today.

In a previous post I said I would probably end up buying an HK45 or USP .45 one day. Well today I went to Mahoney's and got to handle an HK45 and I am in love. I really only liked it from what I'd read about it, and comparing that with the USP. And wow, that was the the most comfortable handgun I've ever held next to my Walther. They really got the grips right with that gun.

And then there's the weight of the thing. When my fiancee saw what I was going to point out to the clerk she said don't even bother handing it to her, as she knew it was going to be too big and heavy. Even I was surprised at the weight. I looked it up and it only weighs about 5oz more than my Walther. I told my fiancee she had to check out the weight and she was very surrpised. I got one last surprise when I was looking for the Eagle over N mark, and instead found "Made in USA" on the frame.

The best part of the experience was as the clerk was pulling the gun out of the cabinet he said to me, "you have good taste" and gave me a big smile.

They had it priced at $1000, and knowing what I know about this gun, and how much people pay for Kimbers, I would gladly buy the HK45 at that price if I had the money.

While I like the HK45 I chose the USP over it. The HK45 has some advantages, slightly smaller, standard rail, contour grip but the USP has a couple of its own, extra capacity 12+1 vs 10+1 and lower cost around $700. Since the HK45 came out right at the time I got my USP I got a great price and felt more confident in the tried and true design.

Any salesperson will say you have good taste if you pick a $1000 gun out of his display. :) Although I agree with his assessment. ;-)

SovereignAxe

While I like the HK45 I chose the USP over it. The HK45 has some advantages, slightly smaller, standard rail, contour grip but the USP has a couple of its own, extra capacity 12+1 vs 10+1 and lower cost around $700. Since the HK45 came out right at the time I got my USP I got a great price and felt more confident in the tried and true design.

Any salesperson will say you have good taste if you pick a $1000 gun out of his display. :) Although I agree with his assessment. ;-)

by the time I can afford either, I doubt the $300 difference will matter that much. besides, I've looked around online and they apparently go for sub $900 if you can find them, so the difference isn't that much.

btw, they had a whole section of their cabinet full of Kimber 1911s, but I have no interest in those. Although I do wonder if he would have said the same thing if I had asked to see one.

Last edited:

Wolfgang1952

I’m not a big fan of the plastic guns. The only one I have is a S&W Sigma 40cal. A friend of mine needed the money, so I bought it to help hem out. Now I love the older and much older German Ladies though. WWI issue Lugers, and WWII issue P38s and PP’s.
For my OC weapon I prefer my 1911, but since it is a 1918 model I carry my S&W model 59 in 9mm. 15+1 in the gun plus two spare 15 rd mags.

Eeyore

Drooling

It's true, H&Ks are hard to find, because I've been looking. My local dealer says they don't keep many in stock because of their high price point and the fact that they don't sell quickly, so they tie up a lot of inventory dollars. I make it a point to shoot something new every time I go to the range, and I've had the opportunity to put a box of ammo each thru a USP and a P30.

I got interested in the USPc 40 after learning that it was the official DHS-approved flight crew weapon. The range at Camp Allen happened to have one, so I tried one out and didn't like it at all. Recoil was really snappy and the grip was too square. It was actually painful to shoot it. (Much later I shot an M&P40, which managed the recoil better and didn't hurt my thumb, so it was definitely the ergonomics and not the caliber.)

Later I saw a P30, which I initially wrote off as a sexed-up (and over-priced) P2000. Eventually I handled one in the shop and fell in love. This past summer I finally got to shoot one (in 9mm) and now I'm in lust. Incredibly smooth, perfect ergonomics, feels like it's molded to my hand. I even like the mag release; since my wife is a lefty, I've been looking for ambi handguns and this one truly is. I usually prefer striker-fired guns for their lighter, consistent trigger pull, but this wasn't bad. The trigger on the P30 was not as nice as a Sig, but certainly better than the CZs I've tried and no worse than a Beretta M9 or Px4. It was also notably more accurate than my M&P9.

The new Sig E2s might give the P30 a run for the money, but they're every bit as expensive and even harder to find than H&Ks. Probably heavier, too. I wanted to like the Walther P99. The ergo's were good (though not truly ambi), but the trigger felt like my Taurus. (That's not a compliment.) So I'm hooked on the P30.

Now I'm in a quandary. I really, really want a P30. But can I justify spending $850 for a gun that basically does the same job as my $450 M&P? I'm a practical guy. If a $20,000 Corolla gets me to work reliably, it's hard to justify buying a $50,000 Mercedes. Unless I really, really want one. ;-)

matt2636

german junk. go head try to detail strip it. way to many parts and spring. that just mean more parts to break