• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI CHL in TX?

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Anyone know if it might be allowed, or too soon to tell?

I meet all the reqs for the WI one, but may be taking relocating for a job in TX.

Everything about the TX one sounds like a big pain, in terms of money and time.

$100s, 12hr course, 6 week wait....

In WI I meet all the reqs, in multiple ways, so it just would make life much easier.

Here I thought that TX was going to be the motherrland for the 2nd Am. supporter, but the more I read, the more I cringe.

Appreciate any comments.

If anyone comes in here to be a negative Nancy, don't waste your time posting. Lately there's been a lot of posters just trying to start crap. I'm not interested in the fact that your life sucks and you have to start crap on here to make you feel better about yourself.

Outdoorsman1

If anyone comes in here to be a negative Nancy, don't waste your time posting. Lately there's been a lot of posters just trying to start crap. I'm not interested in the fact that your life sucks and you have to start crap on here to make you feel better about yourself.

"Negative Nancy".....:lol: That just cracks me up.... As far as the rest of the paragraph..... + 1000

On point... I have not looked at Texas laws so I cannot offer an reply to the question except I am thinking a little too soon to tell...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

protias

Officially, too soon to tell. If I were a betting man, I'd say any state that accepts a FL permit, will accept a WI one.

BROKENSPROKET

Anyone know if it might be allowed, or too soon to tell?

I meet all the reqs for the WI one, but may be taking relocating for a job in TX.

Everything about the TX one sounds like a big pain, in terms of money and time.

$100s, 12hr course, 6 week wait....

In WI I meet all the reqs, in multiple ways, so it just would make life much easier.

Here I thought that TX was going to be the motherrland for the 2nd Am. supporter, but the more I read, the more I cringe.

Appreciate any comments.

The moment you establish residency in TX, your WI permit, if you did get one, would be invalid, because only WI residents may possess a WI permit.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
The moment you establish residency in TX, your WI permit, if you did get one, would be invalid, because only WI residents may possess a WI permit.

Good point. I suppose I could ask in the TX forum if an accepted state's CHL can qualify for a TX CHL. $200 and 9-12hrs of classes is worth looking for a way around if a DD214 isn't good enough for them.

jpm84092

Texas accepts a Utah permit. If you apply for a Utah permit before the WI takes effect, you do not need a WI permit to apply for a UT permit. If you apply after 01 November 2011, UT will require a WI permit. However, you will not be able to reapply for the UT permit until you have a TX permit if you live in TX.

An alternate strategy would involved getting a WI permit and then an AZ permit. TX accepts the AZ permit. There is always also the Florida option.

To better plan your strategy and become more acquainted with individual state laws, visit www.handgunlaw.us

Yellow Cat Out -

Last edited:
M

McX

i got the sneaky feeling, knowing the state of state revenue and all, Texas, and LEO Texans would like best to see a Texas permit if your a bonafide resident down there. kinda like Wis LEO's will expect to see a Wisconsin DL follow a Wisconsin permit. Proof that you spent your money, as in them you trust, so to speak. Getting around things may not be worth the extra effort. i'd say once you get there, if Wis permit carries any weight there, stroll around on your Wis DL and permit, until you got a bill with your Texas residence on it, then make the switch. let me know what their permit cards look like. i hear everything is bigger in Texas.