• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggestions for my stubborn mother?

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
LCK,

It seems you have answered the question about where your mother's mind is on this subject. I'll add her to the list of folks I hope never find themselves in harm's way. Rubber bullets and pepper spray are only going to annoy someone intent on hurting her.

I encourage you to reconsider getting a pocket handgun for carry inside your mother's house. It is disrespectful to her and to yourself. A better solution would be to either move out if you don't have your own place already, or to explain to her why you will no longer visit her at her home. Show respect for her beliefs, and ask her to show respect for yours.

stay safe.

Skidmark,

I respect my mother by honoring her wishes in every way that I reasonably can. I live with my parents because I am disabled by heart complications from birth. As I am unable to hold a job I have no option to move out and due to my physical problems am unable to protect myself through any hand to hand SD methods. Since I sleep downstairs, the dog and I are the first line of defense after the door, my brother could sleep through a hurricane, and my father would lay down his life for any of us, but he has no defensive tools at his disposal because of her beliefs and fears. However, my father is not opposed to my ownership and/or carry of firearms and has told me regarding that "What Mom doesn't know won't hurt her and might save her. Go for it." Since he paid for the house, cars, clothes, food....etc, his ruling is the one I'll be going by. Mom finding out I've been carrying in the house will be a small price to pay should the unthinkable ever happen.

It may still help if you suggest to her this. When someone breaks in to rape kill or steal, asking God to interveen will be a waste of time during the event. It will be the same as asking God to provide food, shelter, transportation, and protection when he has already given her the very means to do so.

Christ told the disciples to sell their cloaks and buy a sword. Why, why for self protection! "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." (Luke 22:36).

If that failes, suggest to her that defending ones self will not send her to Hell, because any Scriptural mention of hell are merely "spiritual statements."

haz.

Haz,

The reason she gave me for her actions (or rather inactions) is that when she passes she knows she's going to rest with God. By allowing a person who might kill her to live, then she is giving that person a chance to see the error of their ways and repent from their sins. I argued the point that she would also be giving that person a chance to kill again. They could kill a total stranger to her, or they might kill her husband, her youngest son, her brother, or me. She didn't seem to care, saying it's not her job to be judge, jury, and exocutioner. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited:

carry for myself

get her a 12 guage shotgun. then get her some beanbag rounds. done.

or get her a handgun, and search the internet for some of those rubber bullets them fancy people make.....done lol :)

Haz.

I dont hink God would be pleased withyour mother?

Hi L.C. Kick.

"The reason she gave me for her actions (or rather inactions) is that when she passes she knows she's going to rest with God. By allowing a person who might kill her to live, then she is giving that person a chance to see the error of their ways and repent from their sins. I argued the point that she would also be giving that person a chance to kill again. They could kill a total stranger to her, or they might kill her husband, her youngest son, her brother, or me. She didn't seem to care, saying it's not her job to be judge, jury, and exocutioner."

You did well mate. With deep respect for your mother and her own discisions, between you and me, she is actually disobeying God. God says not to fall before the wicked. God says arm your self, defend yourself, etc. God will also have angels immediately put down any criminal or rebellion during the milennial rule of Christ; "Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, BY MAN shall HIS BLOOD BE SHED (Gen. 9:5-6)." This law will continue as an eternal law, and as is revealed in (Isiah 11:4-9; 65:20-25) it will be in force even during the Millennium."
I provided the Scriptures. I pray this will never happen but, Ibelieve if your mother was killed by a criminal and was able to but failed to defend her life, God would not be pleased. She has decided to do lsee than God has revealed. She has decided that she knows better than God Himself. Cheers my friend, Haz.

okboomer

I also keep thinking about the discourse in Sgt. York when he wanted to be a moral objector to being drafted into the war and forced to kill. When he came back from his sojourn on the mountain and signed up ... it was a very powerful and moving searching for God's purpose in sending him into war.

Either way, if your mother will not defend herself with deadly force, I hope and pray that you are there to do it for her. You are a wonderful son in that you are ready and willing to bear that burden for her if it ever becomes necessary. Continue to love and honor your mother.

Perhaps you can get some of those household items (clock cases, books, etc) that will hold a hidden gun and place them around the house where you can stash some weapons for easy access. You would probably not want a gun in them until you are sure your mother isn't going to accidently find it :cool: