• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UW-Milwaukee Post : 9mm is faster than 9-1-1

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Not sure if this was shared, but as an Alum., it gained my attention.

http://www.uwmpost.com/2011/09/19/9mm-is-faster-than-9-1-1/

Wisconsin has finally adopted concealed carry into law is great news, indeed – and long over-due. The Right to Carry movement has made great strides in the last two decades. In 1986, only Vermont offered restriction-free concealed carry while fifteen states prohibited concealed carry entirely. By the end of 2011, Illinois will be the only remaining state with a total ban on concealed carry, while 37 states (including Wisconsin) are defined as “shall-issue,” meaning their government must issue permits to anyone who meets the requirements.

As each state declared its intentions to allow concealed carry, the decision was met with criticism, concern and more than a little fear-mongering. A common argument has been that allowing citizens to arm themselves with guns would turn a simple dispute over a parking spot into a Wild West shootout. Not only has that fear proven groundless, a study conducted by the Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed that a concealed carry permit-holder is fourteen times less likely to commit a crime than any other citizen.

Similar arguments have been made in regards to allowing guns on and around university grounds. Concerns have been raised that allowing guns on our campus would turn debates into a gunfight or put a stopper in open discussions altogether. At schools across the country where guns have long been permitted, this has proven to be a non-issue – even in Utah where students and faculty may openly carry a weapon without need of a permit.

While Wisconsin’s ban on concealed carry has long denied law-abiding citizens the right to defend themselves, it does not impose restrictions on criminals who illegally possess weapons to inflict harm. Laws do not prevent crime – they only serve as a deterrent and an outline for punishment after the crime has already been committed. The same is true on our campus and in the classroom. Restricting guns from Virginia Tech classrooms did not and cannot prevent a massacre, but one legally-armed student could have made a difference, if only the law were altered.

While Wisconsin’s new concealed carry law will allow permit-holders to carry on campus grounds and in any building that is not otherwise posted, we at UW-Milwaukee may face restrictions owing to Hartford University’s presence within our campus. Current federal law prohibits the possession of firearms within 1,000 feet of school grounds, succinctly encompassing all, or most of, our campus. As such, even if weapons are allowed within our buildings, most students would be unable to legally carry them while walking to and from their homes to campus.

In the event of either a school zone or building restriction remaining in effect beyond November 1, I believe it entirely reasonable and prudent that UWM provide controlled lockers for students who wish to carry prior to reaching campus grounds. Such lockers are already in place at six UW schools, including Madison and Stevens Point, where they are monitored by campus police.

If I had one critique to make of Wisconsin’s new law, it would be that individuals are not required to demonstrate competency with a firearm prior to being issued a permit – only proof that they attended classroom instruction. To those who intend to carry a weapon, whether it’s a handgun, a Taser or mace, I strongly encourage you to practice with it regularly and be well acquainted with its safe and proper use. It’s the responsible thing to do and an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

My experience from having been a student there, is that it, as well as the bulk of its students, is very liberal and anti-gun. I find the comments to the article to follow my opinion. As it is a new article, I would love for this board to post comments, to educate those who read the article.

jpm84092

I am not a lawyer, but this is my opinion.

This article contains a mis-impression made by many media reporters who simply repeat the mistakes of other reporters regarding the Federal Gun Free School Zones. After 11-1-2011, Wisconsin residents with a Wisconsin Concealed Weapon Permit MAY go armed within 1000 feet of a school and its property, but may not actually be on school property while armed. Right of way such as a sidewalk or road is typically not "school property", but the walks between multiple elementary or secondary school buildings that are not part of a public thoroughfare and have no other purpose than to connect school buildings might be so interpreted by an overzealous prosecutor that would lead to clarification by a court of competent jurisdiction. So, the determining factor at UW Milwaukee will be what geography is part of the school grounds proper of an elementary school (no carry there) and what is not (carry OK with a permit, even if within 1000 feet of an elementary or secondary school). UW Milwaukee cannot prohibit any citizens from going armed on any geography that is exclusively UW Milwaukee property, but they can post signs prohibiting weapons in UW buildings. I do not know the campus well enough to know if any buildings are shared by UW and Hartford, but I did take a close look using Google Map.

Looking at a google map, it is clear that Hartford University Preparatory Elementary School is bounded by Hartford Ave to the North and Maryland Ave to the West. The walkway just north of Lubor Hall is the southern boundary and the American Geographical society to the east. Hartford University prep school is comprised of a single building. Thus, it would appear that the prohibited areas, as defined by the school grounds proper, are very small indeed and DO NOT EXTEND FOR 1000 feet beyond that limited area for Wisconsin residents who hold a Wisconsin Concealed Weapon Permit. (Although it was the intent of the Wisconsin legislature to treat out-of-state permits as being equivalent to WI permits, an overzealous prosecutor may cause this to be tested in the Courts. Having said that, it is not beyond comprehension for a Milwaukee Assistant District Attorney to refer any case involving an out-of-state permit to the US Attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.)

I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV. These are the considered opinion of a lay person who has read the law carefully and thoroughly. Those wishing to rely on this layman's opinion are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney licensed to practice law in Wisconsin.

MKEgal

XD40-OD said:
The Student Association unanimously passed two resolutions on Sunday night in their second meeting of the semester: one urging UW-Milwaukee’s administration to ban firearms from campus buildings and another urging the administration to support stickers that will allow student IDs to be used for voting.
So they're liking one right but not the other?
Idiots.
All of them just failed.
Move out of the dorms, apply at McDonald's.

If they want to vote while away at college, they can order up an absentee ballot. That's lots cheaper than making the school do something.

hermannr

The big problem with most universities is: The people that are active in student Government are the ones that care more for controlling their environment and everything and everyone within that environment than obtaining an education. They generally think they know it all alraedy. They are generally pushy, my way or the highway, types.

The people that think, are interested in an education, generally do not take time out of the pursuit of that education to try make sure their ideas are represented. You don't think so? How many physics or math majors have you found that are also on the student body council?

Last edited: