• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cold Medicine Registry

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Here we go again. I understand limiting ho much cold medicine you buy, but now they are going to scan your drivers license.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/130675328.html
After Oct 15th I plan (while OC'ing to keep on topic) to load up carts at various stores in my area with the last item being pseuda fed.When the cashier asks for my ID I will claim I walked and have no drivers license on me, and leave everything on the conveyor belt.

Last edited:

Ruby

JT, don't do that. It's not the cashier's fault, so please don't take it out on her. I work as a cashier at Lowe's, part time, and believe me, we put up with enough sh*t as it is.

This is the result of more meddling by the government. They want to track who buys what. I understand it can be misused, but I object to having my purchases tied to my driver's license. They've already decided what kind of light bulbs we can buy and are gradually phasing out the incandescent ones. Never mind that the new ones contain many more times mercury than what's in the incandescents. And if you break one, you get to call Hazmat. As someone else said, it's just a thousand little "cuts" that eventually bleeds away freedom and liberty.

Just my .02.

Metalhead47

JT, don't do that. It's not the cashier's fault, so please don't take it out on her. I work as a cashier at Lowe's, part time, and believe me, we put up with enough sh*t as it is.

This is the result of more meddling by the government. They want to track who buys what. I understand it can be misused, but I object to having my purchases tied to my driver's license. They've already decided what kind of light bulbs we can buy and are gradually phasing out the incandescent ones. Never mind that the new ones contain many more times mercury than what's in the incandescents. And if you break one, you get to call Hazmat. As someone else said, it's just a thousand little "cuts" that eventually bleeds away freedom and liberty.

Just my .02.

+1

IT's not the checker's fault, the store's fault, or the company's. They're merely complying with a fascist law cooked up by statists who think they can stop a tweaker from tweaking who really wants to tweak. Y'know, cuz such mentality worked out sooooo well during the 1920's. The drug war crowd has obviously done their research and humbly learned from the lessons of history. :banghead:

PS: RE: CFL's. Love these things. Break them regularly. Sweep them up into the trash. I've also been known to giggle maniacally while cracking open a fitting and releasing automotive A/C refrigerant into the air. And letting the oil drain out onto the dirt. :lol:

BobR

CFL's. Love these things. Break them regularly. Sweep them up into the trash. I've also been known to giggle maniacally while cracking open a fitting and releasing automotive A/C refrigerant into the air. And letting the oil drain out onto the dirt.

Sweet, a man after my own heart. You will need to come over the next time I bag a whooping crane, they taste kind of like a cross between a bald eagle and a spotted owl!

j/k :)

bob

amzbrady

just say no...

dont give them your ID, if they still insist, ask for a store manager, if they still insist, ask for a number for the district manager. I have not seen a screen that has an option to overide or bypass a scan with manager approval. You are correct it is not the cashiers fault that they have to scan ID's, but should have been trained to bypass this.

I have only found large corporate operated stores scan ID's, not mom and pop shops. They would probably appreciate the business.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Talk about stretching for an open carry issue, and the concept is not one of going about your normal business in promoting open carry.
If anything one was to do as suggested and was noticed open carrying would likely put a negative impression up those involved and is that what you really want, I think not.

Cough Medicine, Really, Come on.... Go and by what you normally would do and when requested ID then refuse and go from there.

END_THE_FED

Here we go again. I understand limiting ho much cold medicine you buy, but now they are going to scan your drivers license.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/130675328.html
After Oct 15th I plan (while OC'ing to keep on topic) to load up carts at various stores in my area with the last item being pseuda fed.When the cashier asks for my ID I will claim I walked and have no drivers license on me, and leave everything on the conveyor belt.

You have had to show ID to purchase pseudoephedrine since 2006, and all purchases have been recorded in a federal database.

They also started strict purchase limits. There have been people put in prison for the "crime" of buying enough medicine for their sick family.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Thanks for the cite though I do not see where he went to prison but did go to jail for a period of time which is still b.s.
First arrest

In September 2006, Tim Naveau was arrested and charged with a Class-B misdemeanor for purchasing Claritin D.[3] Naveau takes one tablet of Claritin D each day to combat allergies, and he "had stocked up on the allergy medication because his teenage son, who was also an allergy sufferer, needed several packages because he was headed off to a church camp."[2] Minors are not permitted to purchase pseudoephedrine under the law. Naveau had gone over the legal limit for pseudoephedrine when he purchased extra Claritin D to give to his son before he attended church camp.[4]

Here is the article that is referenced above.
http://reason.com/blog/2006/12/24/man-arrested-for-allergies

END_THE_FED

I also remember reading a case of a woman who bought some for her sick kids, (she had like four) and then two weeks later her and her husband were sick so she bought more. That put her over the limit and she was charged.

"prison" may have been the wrong term.

.45ACPaddy

If I were a cashier and someone did this, I'd be more than happy to put it all away. After my shift, I'd write my representative and let them know my position on things.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Really, being a criminal for taking care of the sick?

amlevin

You have had to show ID to purchase pseudoephedrine since 2006, and all purchases have been recorded in a federal database.

They also started strict purchase limits. There have been people put in prison for the "crime" of buying enough medicine for their sick family.

Not only that, "goldigger's" plan to load up his cart and just leave the stuff on the belt when asked for ID won't work. The real Pseudoephedrine containing cold med's are kept behind the pharmacy counter. That stuff on the shelves out in the store isn't what the meth cooks are looking for.

As for the last statement, those people put in prison for buying enough for their sick families must have been traditional Catholics or devout Mormon's with huge families. I usually find one box enough for my family and often have leftovers when the cold season leaves.

Jeff Hayes

Not only that, "goldigger's" plan to load up his cart and just leave the stuff on the belt when asked for ID won't work. The real Pseudoephedrine containing cold med's are kept behind the pharmacy counter. That stuff on the shelves out in the store isn't what the meth cooks are looking for.

As for the last statement, those people put in prison for buying enough for their sick families must have been traditional Catholics or devout Mormon's with huge families. I usually find one box enough for my family and often have leftovers when the cold season leaves.

Why not be smart and purchase some ahead of time and have it on hand it will last forever. I am not talking about more than a package or 2.

Badger Johnson

I'm confused. Since everyone gets sick, what good is a database/registry with nearly everyone in it?

I pity the poor gubmint employee charged with keeping track of this. OTOH, there's certainly not enough REAL crime going on, so LEOs have to 'keep busy'. /sarcasm

Lovenox

I guess neither of you have purchased or received a gun from an FFL? Do you do the same thing when it comes time to record your driver's license on the form 4473? Leave the gun on the counter and walk out? Or do you ask the manager or the district manager to bypass statutory requirements for you?

+10 Or the fact that they are already in the gubberment data base BECAUSE of the driver's license.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

This is another genius idea brought to us by the war on drugs.

Push meth production to the Mexican cartels. Help fund narco-terrorists and increase violence along the border. Then use that as an excuse to pass more draconian, ineffective, anti-freedom 'war on drug' laws.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
My apologies to Ruby, I probably won't do that. My sarcasm and the outrage of this stupidity got the best of me. For those that don't know me, my sense of humor is of the sarcastic nature. I just think that some govt control is getting out of hand.