• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Anti-OC Movement

since9

Campaign Veteran
When I started OCing a year and a half ago, the field seemed wide open. Since then, however, several locations in and around town have posted signs prohibiting open carry:

- No Open Carry of Firearms
- No Public Display of Firearms
- No Firearms

I'd been OCing for two months at this one mom and pop store, when out of the blue, the night clerk who's usually there said, 'Next time, could you leave that thing in the car? Ok by you?"

My answer: 'Nope. Next time I'll shop somewhere that respects my Constitutional right to defend myself. Ok by you?'

He just stood there with his jaw dropped, so I added, "When you keep honest, law-abiding citizens from carrying firearms in your store, you know who takes their place?"

He said, "No..."

I smiled and said, "Criminals. That's who. Good luck with that..." On the way out I checked to see if the place was even posted, and it was not, so I'm wondering what was behind their change of heart.

I've been diligently adding these lobotomites to Friend or Foe, but I'm getting perturbed that this seems to be a growing trend. I've written short and sweet letters to each and every one of them, but none have reversed their policy.

Repeat: This seems to be a growing trend. It's almost as if no one would waste money on a sign when no one was carrying, and now that more people are carrying, the signage is increasing. I'm beginning to suspect word is being floated around certain civic groups routinely attended by various business owners, and that's having an effect. If so, how might we preemptively counter this?

Here's my latest letter, this one to the store I visited half an hour ago. Please help me make it better i.e. more likely to get them to change their mind:

Dear Store:

I'm writing you with respect to a comment made by your store clerk this evening around 10pm. I've been a regular customer in your store since I moved to the area a little more than 2 months ago, and estimate I spend an average of $140 in your store each month.

I served my country as an officer in the United States Military for over 20 years. One of the requirements of that office is an oath, nearly identical to that taken by the President, members of Congress, and various other high-ranking government officials. It states, in part: "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..." This refers to the complete amended text of our Constitution, including all 27 amendments, beginning with our Bill of Rights.

Many of your customers are or were in the military. Colorado Springs is full of active duty, guard, reserves, retirees, and veterans, all of whom have taken the same oath (for officers) or a very similar oath (for enlisted).

I was therefore quite taken aback this evening when your store clerk said, "Hey, bud. Next time, do you think you can leave that thing in the car?" He was referring to my properly-holstered firearm.

Colorado is one of the 43 of our 50 United States where open carry is legal. As an honest, law-abiding citizen, I sometimes carry my firearm concealed commensurate with my permit. However, I usually opt for open carry in accordance with our U.S. and Colorado State Constitutions for the same reason as law enforcement: It deters crime.

A sizable number of honest, law-abiding citizens in Colorado Springs open carry. We are well trained, often current or former law enforcement or military. Dozens of us get together several times a year for meals, to help one another with a project, or for range practice.

Criminals, on the other hand, almost never open carry. Thus, when you see someone open carry a properly-holstered firearm, that individual is far less likely to be a criminal than your average citizen off the street.

I've carried a firearm for more than 22 years, both on duty as well as off. I carried both open and concealed. Only once have I ever encountered a situation which required me to draw my firearm. That situation instantly resolved itself the moment my assailant saw that I was carrying. It resolved itself before I actually drew my firearm! That's the deterrent effect of open carry. Had I been carrying concealed, my assailant would have carried through with his attack. I'd much rather deter such events before they happen! Wouldn't you?

When a store or business prohibits open carry, it denies their customers their Constitutional right of self-defense. Few, if any of those stores or businesses are providing their own security. As for law enforcement, you know what they say: "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away." Criminals know this, and take advantage of it every time they rob a store. Law enforcement officers are not first responders against crime. We are, and by we I mean every citizen, whether they're carry firearms or not.

I do not take lightly the sanctity of my Constitutional rights. I and millions of others like me have fought for them since before our country began 235 years ago. In fact, they're why we became a country in the first place. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have died to secure these rights.

Closer to home... Are you aware of what happens with businesses and communities that prohibit the deterrent effect of open carry? Crime goes up. Criminals view gun-free zones as targets of opportunity. When a criminal enters a store where firearms are prohibited, they know no honest, law-abiding citizens carrying firearms are nearby, so they feel much freer to rob such stores than those where they observe honest, law-abiding citizens routinely conducting business.

I hope you do not errantly believe I will take the advice of your store clerk and simply leave my firearm in my vehicle. Our city had nearly three dozen murders, 200 armed robberies in the last 12 months. Many of those robberies occurred in liquor stores! I will not allow myself or my family to be put in harm's by such ignorant practices as denying our right to keep and bear arms. If my firearm is not welcome in your store, then neither am I, nor are the $140 I've spent in your store each month. I've additionally taken the liberty of grading your store's anti-firearms policy in an online database that graphically depicts all such business. Those of us who love our country and the freedoms for which she stands review the database and steer clear of businesses which do not support those freedoms.

If you feel the store clerk's request was in error, or you would simply like more information about how you as a store owner can help decrease crime in our area, please let me know by e-mailing me at abcdefg@hijk.com. I would be glad to discuss the matter with you further.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

okboomer

Found a couple small typos/edits that you might want to change :D (OK, copywriter here, so there might be one or two more :D) Great job! Very polite, yet firm and on point! Are there any other OC that you might know who also patronize the store? I would suggest that they might also benefit from reading a copy of this letter, just to let them know what transpired.

Dear Store:

I'm writing you with respect to a comment made by your store clerk this evening around 10pm. I've been a regular customer in your store since I moved to the area a little more than 2 months ago, and estimate I spend an average of $140 in your store each month.

I served my country as an officer in the United States Military for over 20 years. One of the requirements of that office is an oath, nearly identical to that taken by the President, members of Congress, and various other high-ranking government officials. It states, in part: "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..." This refers to the complete, amended text of our Constitution, including all 27 amendments, beginning with our Bill of Rights.

Many of your customers are or were in the military. Colorado Springs is full of active duty, guard, reserves, retirees, and veterans, all of whom have taken the same oath (for officers) or a very similar oath (for enlisted).

I was therefore quite taken aback this evening when your store clerk said, "Hey, bud. Next time, do you think you can leave that thing in the car?" He was referring to my properly-holstered firearm.

Colorado is one of the 43 of our 50 United States where open carry is legal. As an honest, law-abiding citizen, I sometimes carry my firearm concealed commensurate with my permit. However, I usually opt for open carry in accordance with our U.S. and Colorado State Constitutions for the same reason as law enforcement: It deters crime.

A sizable number of honest, law-abiding citizens in Colorado Springs open carry. We are well trained, often current or former law enforcement or military. Dozens of us get together several times a year for meals, to help one another with a project, or for range practice. (This is relevant at this point, how?)

Criminals, on the other hand, almost never open carry. Thus, when you see someone open carry a properly-holstered firearm, that individual is far less likely to be a criminal than your average citizen off the street.

I've carried a firearm for more than 22 years, both on duty as well as off. I carried both open and concealed. Only once have I ever encountered a situation which required me to draw my firearm. That situation instantly resolved itself the moment my assailant saw that I was carrying. It resolved itself before I actually drew my firearm! That's the deterrent effect of open carry. Had I been carrying concealed, my assailant would have carried through with his attack. I'd much rather deter such events before they happen! Wouldn't you?

When a store or business prohibits open carry, it denies their customers their Constitutional right of self-defense. Few, if any of those stores or businesses are providing their own security. (Perhaps a comment as to the business guaranteeing your safety if they require you to be unarmed on their premises?) As for law enforcement (response time), you know what they say: "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away." Criminals know this, and take advantage of it every time they rob a store. Law enforcement officers are not first responders against crime. We are, and by we I mean every citizen, whether (or not, otherwise, you end the sentence with a preposition) they're (they are, the contraction is denied by the first two words "We are") carry (carrying, or drop the "are" in the previous edit, you need to bring "they're" "they are" "carry" and "carrying" into agreement) firearms or not.(Delete "or not" here.)

I do not take lightly the sanctity of my Constitutional rights. I and millions of others like me have fought for them since before our country began 235 years ago. In fact, they're why we became a country in the first place. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have died to secure these rights.

Closer to home... Are you aware of what happens with businesses and communities that prohibit the deterrent effect of open carry? Crime goes up. Criminals view gun-free zones as targets of opportunity. When a criminal enters a store where firearms are prohibited, they know no honest, law-abiding citizens carrying firearms are nearby, so they feel much freer to rob such stores than those where they observe honest, law-abiding citizens (carrying firearms, or "armed LAC") routinely conducting business.

I hope you do not errantly believe I will take the advice of your store clerk and simply leave my firearm in my vehicle. Our city had nearly three dozen murders, 200 armed robberies in the last 12 months. Many of those robberies occurred in liquor stores! I will not allow myself or my family to be put in harm's by such ignorant practices as denying our right to keep and bear arms. If my firearm is not welcome in your store, then neither am I, nor are (delete, redundant) the $140 I've spent in your store each month. I've additionally taken the liberty of grading your store's anti-firearms policy in an online database that graphically depicts all such business. Those of us who love our country and the freedoms for which she stands review the database and steer clear of businesses which do not support those freedoms.

If you feel the store clerk's request was in error, or you would simply like more information about how you as a store owner can help decrease crime in our area, please let me know by e-mailing me at abcdefg@hijk.com. I would be glad to discuss the matter with you further.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

okboomer

There is one way to "fight back" against signage and Anti-OC that I thought of the other night ... hire a highschool student to stand outside an establishment for $5/ph with a clipboard and a petition soliciting signatures, naming the company and the owner/president :D

Now, the problem you have is that some states wrote their "posting" laws so that signage is not necessary, and an "agent of the owner" can request anyone at any time to leave the premises.

You need a change in the legislation to require businesses to post clear and obvious signage, otherwise, no discrimination.

Oramac

Being a small business owner myself, and having quite a bit of experience networking with other small business owners, I can say with relative certainty that the owner won't read past the second paragraph. Why? Very simply, it's too long. The owner has a LOT of things to do, and reading your dissertation, no matter how well worded and full of facts, probably isn't even on the list. And if it is, it's very near the bottom.

My opinion: keep it very short, simple and to the point. I would say 2-3 paragraphs max.

EDIT: OC for ME beat me to it. Different words, but the gist is the same.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Being a small business owner myself, and having quite a bit of experience networking with other small business owners, I can say with relative certainty that the owner won't read past the second paragraph. Why? Very simply, it's too long. The owner has a LOT of things to do, and reading your dissertation, no matter how well worded and full of facts, probably isn't even on the list. And if it is, it's very near the bottom.

My opinion: keep it very short, simple and to the point. I would say 2-3 paragraphs max.

How about:

"Your clerk asked me to leave, so I left and will do business elsewhere. I am a retired military officer. I served my country, protecting and defending our Constitution. I am appalled that when I return home and exercise my Constitutional rights in a peaceful, law-abiding manner, your clerk asks me to leave! Walmart hasn't. McDonald's hasn't. In fact, this is the first time I've ever been asked to leave a store. Until you reverse your anti-American practices, I will never return, and will advise all others to stay away from your store."

EDIT: OC for ME beat me to it. Different words, but the gist is the same.

I'll check on it.

OkBoomer - thanks for the copyediting! You're right - it's not a discrimination issue. It should be, at the federal level, but the 2A was written before the 1960s.

Kirbinator: appropriate away, my friend? My letter is henceforth to be considered in the public domain. All who use it are free to use it anyway they see fit, with the sole requirement the moment they do so it becomes their work, not mine, and they are thus responsible for any and all repercussions of such use.

OC for ME: Thanks for the edit! I agree the tone of the letter should hold no condescension. It's maddening, but professionalism should reign.

Last edited:

Oramac

How about:

"Your clerk asked me to leave, so I left and will do business elsewhere. I am a retired military officer. I served my country, protecting and defending our Constitution. I am appalled that when I return home and exercise my Constitutional rights in a peaceful, law-abiding manner, your clerk asks me to leave! Walmart hasn't. McDonald's hasn't. In fact, this is the first time I've ever been asked to leave a store. Until you reverse your anti-American practices, I will never return, and will advise all others to stay away from your store."

That would work, though it still sounds a bit condescending. To be completely honest, I think your best bet is going to be the "No Guns = No Money" cards. They have all the relevant information on them, and are incredibly easy to read and hand to someone.

If you feel compelled to write a letter, the one quoted here would be more effective than the long one, in my opinion.

MilProGuy

,Just a suggestion, but I would recommend that any contact with business owners dispense with a lecturing tone. Or any personal historical commentary. The longer it takes to read the less likely they are to be persuaded. Simply state the facts of the situation and what exactly you will do as a result of their decision to not respect your right.

This is a good sound suggestion.

In writing circles, the old adage is "lighten and brighten".

Many times the reader will get bogged down if the correspondence is too wordy or burdensome.

Last edited:

DocWalker

I think a sign posted saying "NO GUNS" should be required to read.

"CRIMINAL FRIENDLY STORE, SHOPPING HERE WILL INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF BEING KILLED, RAPED, OR ROBBED."

or

"NO GUNS ALLOWED....THIS OF COURSE ONLY APPLIES TO LAW ABIDING CITIZENS....CRIMINALS WELCOME ANYTIME."

or

"NO GUNS ALLOWED = THIS BUISNESS DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR SAFETY WE ONLY CARE ABOUT MAKING IT EASIER FOR CRIMINALS."

Not the sarcasm.

Baked on Grease

To the OP:

Keep it short and simple in your first correspondonce to the business. State the facts of the event that took place, and your feelings on them. Ask for clarification on policies and that you wish this issue resolved in a timely manner.

For your second letter, after you've gotten their attention, you can use something similar to what you've already posted and go into detail. Also, I don't think stating exactly how much or how often you spend money matters, only that you do spend money and wish to spend more. Otherwise they may look at their bottom line and decide they can live without your money. (i know, others here won't shop there either but this won't register in the owners head at this time.)

Sent using tapatalk

Baked on Grease

I also would not state how long I have been shopping there. Keep it truthful but ambiguious, like "Since I started shopping at your store I have gone in numerous times, always carried and never had an issue before."

Then go on to ask for clarification on their policies and so forth.

Sent using tapatalk

Baked on Grease

Also (yes I am triple posting) that second letter you did, the revision, is too condensed and sounds extremely condescending to me. Like I posted before, states the facts of the event, in your first letter the only thing the owner should be concerned about is that you are a paying customer and won't shop there until you know you are allowed. This means he doesn't care that you are/were military, not at first at least. Be polite and professional, probably 2 paragraphs of info depending on how long it takes to relate the event.

Do some digging in the archives, I seem to rememder others posting requests to have a letter critiqued. This may mean manually going into sub-forums and reading the topic titles page by page... You know, the analog search function before google came along.

Also, don't be discouraged by a form letter printed off thanking you for your letter. Just write another stating how eager you are to spend money at the store but can't/won't.

Sent using tapatalk

Jack House

Something that always bothers me is the use of "respect my rights" it tends to sound aggressive while also ignoring their rights. Try not to use it, if they are posting then they probably don't care about your rights anyway.

Posted using my HTC Evo

DocWalker

Something that always bothers me is the use of "respect my rights" it tends to sound aggressive while also ignoring their rights. Try not to use it, if they are posting then they probably don't care about your rights anyway.

Posted using my HTC Evo

SOOOO telling the company they are ANTI-AMERICAN, HATE THE USA, and other phrases as such is wrong....lol (Sarcasm don't flame me)

since9

Campaign Veteran
SOOOO telling the company they are ANTI-AMERICAN, HATE THE USA, and other phrases as such is wrong....lol (Sarcasm don't flame me)

It's not incorrect. It's merely ineffective.

I think a sign posted saying "NO GUNS" should be required to read.

"CRIMINAL FRIENDLY STORE, SHOPPING HERE WILL INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF BEING KILLED, RAPED, OR ROBBED."

or

"NO GUNS ALLOWED....THIS OF COURSE ONLY APPLIES TO LAW ABIDING CITIZENS....CRIMINALS WELCOME ANYTIME."

or

"NO GUNS ALLOWED = THIS BUISNESS DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR SAFETY WE ONLY CARE ABOUT MAKING IT EASIER FOR CRIMINALS."

Sounds like some really good lines for the backs of the NO GUNS = NO $$$ cards.

Brimstone Baritone

I thought the original was really well written. As others have said, however, it was too long. One part I think you should keep, though, is telling them how much you spend (spent?) there. Let them see the numbers they will be using, and let them do the math when you tell them you will tell all your friends who (used to) shop there.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This is what I modify and use. It deals with Michigan but with changes could be used anywhere.

It has come to my attention that you no longer allow firearms in your store. In lieu of the two recent Supreme Court Decisions and the increasing practice of citizens carrying firearms for defense I wonder if this is a sound business decision. Many corporations including restaurant chains follow state law in regards to firearm possession. Below are a few examples.

In this tough economic time I would think your business would embrace all potential customers. In Michigan alone there are over 280,000 concealed carry permit holders and thousands more that open carry with and without permits. You can see that the potential customer lose is significant.

Starbucks recently announced that they will honor all state laws in regards to firearm carry and their business sales increased 7%. Why, because those that believe in firearm rights shop at businesses that support their civil rights.

Please reconsider your decision to ban firearms, until then this recent policy change will be announced on hundreds of pro-gun websites, which will leave the decision to patronize your business up to the citizens.

Cabelas:
Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.
Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location. Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided. We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.
If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know
Thanks again
Becky, Lead Associate
Cabela's Retail Information
1-800-905-2731 retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com
Bass Pro. Inc. Open Carry Welcome!
OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed. Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.
Walmart
Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611
Email contact link: http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx
LOWE'S
Thank you for giving Lowe's the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores. Lowe's currently does, and will continue to abide by federal, state and local laws regarding firearms, and we do not prohibit customers from carrying firearms into our stores. Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers, however; we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and will remain neutral regarding the right to carry firearms. We will respect federal, state and local laws regarding this.
If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or email execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to P.O. Box 1111, Mail Code CON8, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28659.
Thank you,
Julie Holloway, Lowe's Executive Customer Service
Home Depot.
http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law_regs/postedletters/homedepo.pdf
Customer care number. 1-800-430-3376
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:13:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "HD Consumer Affairs" <hdconsumeraffairs@homedepot.com>
BEST BUY'S:
from Customer Contact CustomerContact@bestbuy.com
date Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM
subject Best Buy Gun policy - X
mailed-by bestbuy.com
Best Buy strives to comply with all applicable law and statues. Best Buy also strives to provide a safe and comfortable shopping environment for all our customers. Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail locations. As a general rule, Best Buy does not post “no guns allowed” signs in our stores and we are not aware of any individual stores that might have posted such a sign.
BOB EVANS:
Bob Evans - Reference # 536155
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to e-mail regarding our Bob Evans Restaurants. Bob Evans follows all local, state, and federal laws pertaining to firearms. Please contact your local Bob Evans restaurants for the specific regulations. Again, Mr. Spice, we appreciate your comments. We value your patronage and appreciate your interest in Bob Evans Farms Inc.
Barnes & Noble
To: X
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:42 PM
Subject: Barnes & Noble
Thank you for your email.
...Barnes & Noble complies with the law and, except where prohibited by law, does not prohibit its customers from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.
Sincerely, Mary Ausman MJAusman@bn.com
Supervisor, Customer Retention
Barnes & Noble, Inc. 122 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10011
tel: (800) 422-7717 fax: (212)352.3660 http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com

Alliance Foods, Inc. (Save-A-Lot):
Policy is to follow state law.
Loren Doty
Director of Retail Operations
Alliance Foods Inc.
517-278-2396 ext 1267
Golden Coral
White Castle
Dear Mr. Xxxxxxxx:
Thank you for your complimentary response concerning your recent
visit to our Lansing White Castle.
Please be advised that our policy regarding firearms is that we follow
all State and Federal guidelines/laws and we would expect our customers
to do the same.
We hope that you will continue to be a loyal White Castle Craver.
Thank you,
White Castle Management
Sears/K-mart
Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy
Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.
Emerald Sloan
Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
Sears Holdings Corporation
Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com
Dicks
Sporting Goods
Mr. XXXX,
Thank you for contacting Dick's Sporting Goods.
Our stores comply with state laws and, in some cases, where we are a tenant as an anchor store, those mall restrictions if any exists.
Jean Taggart,Manager of Customer Engagement

jbone

I'd been OCing for two months at this one mom and pop store, when out of the blue, the night clerk who's usually there said, 'Next time, could you leave that thing in the car? Ok by you?"

My answer: 'Nope. Next time I'll shop somewhere that respects my Constitutional right to defend myself. Ok by you?'

He just stood there with his jaw dropped, so I added, "When you keep honest, law-abiding citizens from carrying firearms in your store, you know who takes their place?"

He said, "No..."

I smiled and said, "Criminals. That's who. Good luck with that

Posted for humor only:
Kind of reminds me of the whole LE gratuities thing. What do you mean we are no longer welcome to a free cup of coffee, and bagel, well guess I’ll take my business elsewhere, and guess who won’t have cops coming around anymore, and guess who’ll notice, criminals, that's who!

dcmdon

That is a really very nicely written letter.

But it's too long. Make your point within the first few sentences and limit the entire thing to two paragraphs.

It's too bad because it's some nice writing. But because of the length it's better for a letter to the editor or something like that.

I'm afraid you will lose the target reader before you really make your point.

It needs to be less scholarly and more like something written for a local news program.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I thought the original was really well written.

Thank you, BB.

As others have said, however, it was too long. Stick to the generic effects,

I agree, as well as the part about leaving out personal stuff.

One part I think you should keep, though, is telling them how much you spend (spent?) there. Let them see the numbers they will be using, and let them do the math when you tell them you will tell all your friends who (used to) shop there.

I think making money is their primary focus. Most people aren't aware over half of U.S. households own guns, that upwards of 10% regularly carry, or that upwards of 5% CC. When combining those stats, particular in a town like this, I can present to them some numbers that deman attention.