• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio visitng PA

mcametal

I'm from Ohio and go to PA 1-3 times a week. In Ohio OC is legal just as it is in PA. What are the laws in PA regarding a stop by police? If I am not violating any laws when I OC in Ohio I am not required to identify myself or provide identification to the police if stopped. Does the same hold true in PA?

Thanks

jahwarrior

I'm from Ohio and go to PA 1-3 times a week. In Ohio OC is legal just as it is in PA. What are the laws in PA regarding a stop by police? If I am not violating any laws when I OC in Ohio I am not required to identify myself or provide identification to the police if stopped. Does the same hold true in PA?

Thanks

in Philadelphia, you need a license to carry a gun, openly or concealed. outside of PA, you need a license to carry concealed, or while operating a vehicle. unless you plan on walking everywhere, you can't carry in PA, unless you have a license/permit that is recognized in PA.

that said, you're only required to identify yourself in Philadelphia. everywhere else, you're not, if you're stopped for open carrying.

knight0334

In addition to jahwarrior72's statement, to merely have a "firearm"(handguns, SBS, SBR) in a vehicle in PA you need to have a license/permit from any other state regardless as to whether it is being carried openly or concealed, or loaded or unloaded - unless you are going to/from one of the exempted locations in 18.61.6106(b).

No where in PA are you required to disclose your armed status.

Last edited:

mcametal

I am legal to carry concealed and transprot to any state under LEOSA. I prefer to exercise my rights and open carry as often as I can.
My questions:
Are non-residents legal to open carry?
Required to provide identification when asked?

Thanks

Curmudgeon

I am legal to carry concealed and transprot to any state under LEOSA. I prefer to exercise my rights and open carry as often as I can.
My questions:

Thanks

1) Yes.
2) No, not on a mere encounter.

IANAL.

jahwarrior

1) Yes.
2) No, not on a mere encounter.

IANAL.

Philly is murky water, as far as providing ID. i've refused to provide ID in other parts of PA, and i'[ve never been asked in Philly, but i think i would. it beats getting shot.:uhoh:

knight0334

My questions:

Thanks

About non-residents: No state can make laws that have different rights and privileges between residents and non-residents. If a resident is allowed to do something, a non-resident is allowed to as well.

US Constitution Article IV Section 2:

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

US Constitution Amendment XIV Section 1:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.