• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of West Bend and CCW

bmwguy11

I see on the meeting agenda for October 3rd in west bend's common council meeting, they have the following:

5. An Ordinance Amending Chapter 20 of the West Bend Municipal Code, Park
Regulations – Weapons.
6. Discussion and possible decisions regarding concealed carry legislation: concealed carry
by City employees and carrying of weapons into City owned buildings.

http://www.ci.west-bend.wi.us/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=209&Itemid=69

I am reaching out to my alderman to get more info if he has it. I plan on attending the meeting for sure, and encourage others to do the same. It's at 6:30pm in the "council chambers" at city hall I believe.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I would love to be there, however I'm going to be on the road. I wish they would have these meetings on weekends. Hell, I'd even take a Thursday night, because I can usually be home by then.

I'm pulling for the homefront to make the right decision. Hopefully with Germantown being in our county they will make the right move.

Last edited:

bmwguy11

I talked to my alderman and he claimed he doesn't have specifics on what is being proposed. I did offer to send him information, and also indicated I will have some printed information to provide the council, and my wife and I will be attending the meeting to defend our 2A rights. West Bend / Washington CO tend to be about as republican as you can get, but we'll see how it goes. Wish us luck!

bmwguy11

Hmm I'm trying to look up the wisconsin statutes but the site is down. I'm wondering if we can open carry in that building or not. It's the city hall but also is the police department.

bmwguy11

Ah found a cached page. Nevermind on OC at the meeting!

941.235 Carrying firearm in public building. (1) Anyperson who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned orleased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guiltyof a Class A misdemeanor.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
yeah, don't want to get nailed with a Class A this close to permit day! Well, you don't ever want to get a Class A, but especially now. Good luck, and give them hell!

Captain Nemo

It is nearly impossible to arbitrate with a committee that has a paranoia of guns. That fear seems to be universal among the various city and county councils. They will argue their side of the coin with rhetoric such as "It is for the safety of the public". "We don't want guns around our children". etc. etc. The bottom line is they are only concerned for their own hides. They all seem to be of mortal fear that someone will enter their meeting room and start shooting. Trying to rationalize with them that it has always been possible for someone bent on mayhem to enter their meeting and start shooting is futlile. Trying to convince them that signage will only impede law abiding citizens, that mean them no harm, is impossible. They react completely out of their own personal fear. An example is that Door county just voted 20 to 0 to post all county buildings. It is illogical that in a committee of that size that there be a unanimous vote unless there was an issue of extreme personal concern.

As of yet posting hasn't been a hot issue at the wetern fringes of the state. That can change quickly. If it does I think I will try this dialoge. As I said earlier I may be blowing a bunch of wind. Those contemplating posting probably have their minds already made up and won't want to be confused with facts.

"Sir, may I address the board"?
"I want to speak on the subject of posting public property under your jurisdiction"."
"I will shortly be joining thousands of other citizens and carry a concealed weapon for personal protection". "As with them I will have gone through training, passed a State criminal background check and paid the costs to obtain a permit. A permit that gives me the state sanctioned authority to carry a concealed firearm in order to provide for my personal safety".
"I, and other permit holders as law abiding citizens will comply with your signs if you do decide to post them".
"We will put our well being at risk while in your facilities because we are law abiding".
"Criminals or people bent on mayhem on the other hand, will meerly scoff at your signs and proceed with any misdeeds they have in mind".
"My question to you is". "What assurance do I have that while I am in your facilities that you will protect me from harm"? "Will you have armed security or metal detectors"?
"If your answer is that you can't absolutely assure my safety".
"Then what makes you think you have the authority to deny me the capability to protect myself, which the State says I have the permitted right to do so.

Just my opinions and thoughts.

bmwguy11

SUCCESS!!!

City of west bend voted 6-2 to allow the wisconsin CCW law to take effect, and they will NOT be posting city owned building/property. They also made a recommendation to the library's council to do the same.

In addition, they ALSO voted to allow employees of the city to CCW while on the job! (in places that are legal to do so of course)

paul@paul-fisher.com

SUCCESS!!!

City of west bend voted 6-2 to allow the wisconsin CCW law to take effect, and they will NOT be posting city owned building/property. They also made a recommendation to the library's council to do the same.

In addition, they ALSO voted to allow employees of the city to CCW while on the job! (in places that are legal to do so of course)

Awesome!!! This proves that elected officials at the local level listen to well reasoned arguments.