• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on college campus

Lincoln7

Hello all, I will be visiting your great state soon and one of the places I will be visiting is a friend's college and attending a college football game aswell. I have a CHP from my home state of Virginia so I realize I will be required to conceal. I cannot find the legalities of college carry. Not to muddy up the thread with irrelevant info but VA allows NON-students to carry on college campus (with a few exceptions). Is this the case in Indiana? The only law I could find was this which doesn't state if there is a difference between K-12 and college: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch9.html
Thank you for any info you can provide.

aadvark

Lincoln7:

First of all..., Indiana Requires a Permit to Carry a Handgun beyond Your: 1 Home, 2 Land, or 3 Premises/Property.

Indiana does NOT Differentiate between Open Carry and Concealed Carry, unlike Virginia.

Therefore, Open Carry and Concealed Carry in Indiana is LEGAL so as long as You have a Permit.

You have a Permit from Virginia, and Indiana Reconizes ALL Permits Issued by EVERY State, except Illinios (as Illinios does NOT Issue Permits).

Secondly..., 'Schools' are NOT Defined under that Chapter of Article 47 of Title 35 of The Indiana Code.

Since The Term 'School' is not Defined, I would much rather You be Safe-than-Sorry, and Assume Colleges and Universities are just as Prohibited as Elementary and Secondary Schools are, as it is a Class D Felony to Violate This Indiana Law.

aadvark

***Maybe Indiana will Define The Term 'School', for The Purposes of Article 47 of Title 35 of Indiana Code next Legislative Session.***

Last edited:

Lincoln7

Thank you for the informative response. I expect to have to conceal as my state's permit if for concealed carry as my state has no permit requirement to open carry. I have read various information stating that if I have a CCW permit I have to conceal, LTCF I can OC or CC. Is this not true?

aadvark

Lincoln7:

I have Told You once Politely..., but I will Tell You again.

In Indiana You can either: 1 Open Carry OR 2 Concealed Carry.

If You want to Open Carry, then, You can do so.

If You want to Conceal Carry, then, You can do so as well.

The Choice is TOTALLY up to You to make.

aadvark

ATM

Campaign Veteran
School property defined in IC

Indiana Code already defines school property, which does NOT include postsecondary education.
Case law supports this, but I don't have those case references handy.

Just be aware that many colleges and universities have their own rules regarding carry of firearms, so you could be asked to leave the property at most.

http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar41/ch1.html

IC 35-41-1-24.7
"School property"
Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
(1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
(A) a school corporation;
(B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
(C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
(D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
(i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
(ii) A special education preschool program.
(iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
(2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

cce1302

To further clarify ATM's apt response, 12-17.2 deals with pre-school child care (not post-secondary) and IC 31-27 deals with department of child services licensed facilities.

Jeffrey Sampson

Misinformation

Two things. #1...Indiana does not statutorily prohibit campus carry. Therefore it is left up to the school whether or not to ban firearms. The two schools I've attended have said the "unauthorized use is prohibited" and I took that to mean that carrying does not equate using. #2...yes Indiana does honor all other states licenses however, the carrier must abide by the rules of the state that issued the license. For example, Georgia does not allow open carry so someone carrying here with a Georgia license is not legally allowed to open carry. Odds are you are not going to find many officers that are going to know that so you're probably safe. Look here for further reference [http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Firearms_licensing_FAQs(1).pdf] first rather than come to the "lawyers"

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...the carrier must abide by the rules of the state that issued the license. For example, Georgia does not allow open carry so someone carrying here with a Georgia license is not legally allowed to open carry.

Misinformation indeed.

One must abide by the laws of the state they are carrying in, not the issuing state.
I can't just go to Florida or Texas and carry openly like I can in Indiana with my LTCH. That would violate their state laws and I could be charged.

And since when are Georgia licensees prohibited from open carry?