• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with extra mag or no?

carry for myself

I don't feel so bad now. :) I carry an XDm, 19+1 with two spare mags, so 58 rounds total. It's doubtful I would ever need so many, but I figure I am prepared for the zombie invasion. Which at that poimt, would this even be a discussion? I think the mentality then would be "Only 58?" :p

Sent using tapatalk

i myself have always prefered carrying WAY more than conventional needs ask for. i just bought 2 more 15 rounders for my glove box lol the way i see it. if i need 5 -10 rounds. im lucky i survived. if i need 20+ im probably going to be in the hospital as well and if i need the full blunt of what i carry. im dead anyway so why not go out with a full mag in the gun haha

fullclipemptygrave

I've always thought, that if there is only one gun involved in a violent incident, then its a shooting spree, if there is two or more(one returning fire) then its a firefight, I wouldn't want it to return to shooting spree simply because i was out of tokens,

user

Accomplished Advocate
Nah...

The one double-stack MecGar 17 round in the Sig 226 plus the two I've got in the back pocket will be sufficient - I don't need an extra one, fifty-two rounds ought to be sufficient. An extra one would just weigh down my pants.

steelhawk

Sometimes. If I am carrying around the house or taking a quick trip into town I don't usually carry an extra mag. My M&P9c allows 12+1. I just got an extra mag for the LC9 so when I carry it next, I will use a second mag.

If I am going further away from home, or to where I am more likely to encounter trouble, such as the state fair, I will carry a second mag. Not that I am expecting trouble. If I was, then the best course of action is not to go in the first place.

carry for myself

I've always thought, that if there is only one gun involved in a violent incident, then its a shooting spree, if there is two or more(one returning fire) then its a firefight, I wouldn't want it to return to shooting spree simply because i was out of tokens,

+1 my buddy used a term once "i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down" lol

j4l

Well... even though I carry a .45 (vs. .380/9mm, etc...:banghead: ), and even though the mag for it is 12-round capacity.. I still carry the second mag on the off-chance I end up in a protracted engagement with multiple foes (not much of a stretch given some of the boneheads nearby) , or if Murphy happens along (like he almost always does in combat) and picks that time to be the 1st time for a magazine-related malfunction....

griffin

Always carry two spare mags with my single stack .45ACP. May or may not carry two spare mags with my 15+1 .40S&W.

MiaStar

I always OC an extra loaded mag. My holsters have the mag pouch attached on front top side of the holster (where the slide on the gun is). Therefore, it's not a matter of having to strap on a separate pouch. I keep both guns fully loaded at all times (with 1 in the chamber also in case of a BG/self-defense sitch and my hands get sweaty from fear/adrenaline/nerves, I won't have trouble racking the slide and chambering a round).

When I order up some more mags, I will likely carry 2 extra, for a total of 3 magazines (including the one inserted into the pistol). Round here would be where I need them the most! The .45 holds 8 rounds per mag, for 9 rounds total in the pistol. .38 super auto holds 10 rounds per mag, for 11 rounds total in the pistol (counting the chambered round).

While I mostly carry the .38 super, that accounts for 21 total rounds with 1 extra mag. 2 extra is 31. I carry the .38 super on my strong side (right) primarily because of the lessened weight compared to the 1911 and the extra mag capacity.

The serrations on the slide of the .38 also make it easier for me to chamber a round since I shoot at the range with Mechanix gloves due to sweaty palms...and it's unlikely I will have on the same gloves (or gloves at all) in a defensive sitch.

My 1911 is not matte steel (it is highly-polished steel, looks like chrome) like the .38 so the slide can be very slippery if you dont have dry hands or proper grip, or if I have left a bit too much lubricating oil on the slide. All these factors and more went into me deciding to carry a smaller caliber vs. the .45 I have. Now, that may all change when I build up my collection a bit.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Neither of my paddle holsters have a slot for an extra mag and since I rarely wear a belt, I do not carryw ith extra mags. However, I want to and am looking at paddle mag holders as well as contemplating making some of my own with some stiff leather.

.45acp

I carry 2 spare mags for my 1911's. I don't concern myself with the Army of Darkness Flesh Eating Zombie Gun Fight so much as magazine failure or losing a mag under unknown or unfortunate circumstances.

When I carry the 3” 629, I carry 2 speed loaders on the offside.

The extra mags or speed loaders also seem to help balance out the gun belt on my waist.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I carry a 1911 topped off (8+1), and 2 extra 8 round magazines. Usually (but not always) the magazines are on my weak-side hip, covered by my shirt. If my shirt is tucked in, then I sometimes carry the 2 extra mags in a pocket holster designed for a j-frame (keeps pocket lint off of them, while the mags stick up high enough to still be readily accessible).

Also, whether carrying the primary openly or concealed, I have a Glock 27 (.40, 9+1) in a Galco "Ankle Glove" (Absolutely the BEST ankle holster I've ever worn - pricey, but well worth it). Spare magazine for the BUG is a Glock 22 mag - 15 rounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

M&P .45

10+1, two spare 10 rd mags on belt, one in glovebox.

I will be switching to 14 rd mags shortly.

CDMAGS

+1

Dreamer

Spare mags have nothing to do with extra capacity, although it is comforting to know that should ALL my equipment function properly, and I find that after emptying the first mag,I STILL need more ammo, I have another mag to turn to...

I've shot enough IPSC and USPSA competition to know that no matter how meticulous you are with cleaning and maintenance, and no matter how "reliable" your firearm is on the range, when you are moving, shooting and functioning under pressure, the probability that something will fail goes up tremendously. I carry a Para P-14.45 (for both OC and for USPSA matches) and I've NEVER run out of ammo, but I HAVE had to do a few "tap-rack-bang" drills due to faulty ammo, improper grip causing FTF/FTE when shooting from odd positions or on the move, or just plain unexplainable FTFs... Having more mags than you think you'll need makes clearing these failures MUCH faster.

If you have only one mag, and it fails, you are screwed. If you have one or two spares, then you at least have a "fighting chance".

My Para has 13+1 capacity. I always carry one spare mag. Sometimes I carry two spares. When shooting an average USPSA course, I usually have 5 spares on my belt--which is about 3 times the shots needed for an average USPSA stage, but when fractions of seconds count, you don't have time to jack around with clearing a malfunction, and having a metric butt-load of mags does a TREMENDOUS amount for boosting confidence in you rown ability and the reliability of your firearm, because even if something should go majorly wrong with ammo or magazines, having several extras will USUALLY fix the problem.

Again, let me reiterate--we do NOT carry extra mags primarily for the extra ammo capacity the represent. We carry them as a RELIABILITY ENHANCEMENT, to make clearing malfunctions faster, easier, and increase the reliable usage of our firearms if basic malfunctions should occur in their deployment...

I'm not suggesting that you carry a double-stack .45acp with 5 spare mags as your daily OC rig. But 1 spare mag is NOT excessive, and even 2 spare mags is not out of the question, depending on the situation.

Not carrying at least ONE extra mag is pretty much the equivalent of believing in the Keebler Elves--no extra mags means you are living under the delusion that when the SHTF and you have to deploy your firearm in self defense, that EVERYTHING will work with 100% reliability until the problem is resolved.

And THAT is just about as delusional as thinking that placing a 911 call will save your life...

Last edited:

gm2max

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97306-Number-of-carry-rounds

Check out my topic, which has gotten multi-state response.

@dreamer when you say this: "Again, let me reiterate--we do NOT carry extra mags primarily for the extra ammo capacity the represent. We carry them as a RELIABILITY ENHANCEMENT, to make clearing malfunctions faster, easier, and increase the reliable usage of our firearms if basic malfunctions should occur in their deployment..."

Who is the "we" you say?

I carry 75 rounds of 9mm for the pure fact that I refuse to be the sorry bastard that runs out of ammo in my gang filled city....

Dreamer

I carry 75 rounds of 9mm for the pure fact that I refuse to be the sorry bastard that runs out of ammo in my gang filled city....

I stand corrected, and I pray I never find myself living in such a blood-soaked hell-hole as you.

Which is why I almost NEVER go to Baltimore or DC even though I currently live less than 30 minutes from both...

FMJ 911

Since most most of my guns are Military weapons, I use the standard issue loadouts.

CZ-52= Loaded 8-round mag in gun, Extra 8-round mag in holster pouch. Total 16 rounds

Kimber 1911= Loaded 7-Round mag, 2 Extra 7-Round mags in Dual Mag holder. Total 21 rounds

1930 Broomhandle Mauser= Loaded to max 10 rounds, 20 extra bullets on 2 chargers. Total 30 rounds

1895 Nagant revolver= Cylinder filled to 7 rounds, extra 7 rounds carried in a flap pouch. Total 14 rounds

usnvet86

Hi guys. I was wondering how many of you oc an extra mag? wearing an extra mag on my left hip seems to make the whole thing just a bit more obnoxious. do you guys carry an extra mag? do you wear it openly or stick it in a pocket? how do you think carryin an extra affects the immage of the whole thing?

i wouldnt worry about it if i had a 15 or 16 round 9mm, but my 45 only holds 10+1. dont get me wrong, thats plenty to handle almost any sittuation, but i just cant imagine putting myself in a possition to have that "if only" feeling when the slide locks back and there isnt another mag there. :banghead:

Without reading other comments and just giving you my thoughts alone, I wouldnt carry and extra mag. Having 11 isnt as much as some others out there, but should be plenty for your purpose. Not to mention the weight! After a week I think I would get tired of having it. If you were concealing a single stack 9mm with 6 or 7 rounds I would say go for it but you will be fine without.

4angrybadgers

Without reading other comments and just giving you my thoughts alone, I wouldnt carry and extra mag. Having 11 isnt as much as some others out there, but should be plenty for your purpose. Not to mention the weight! After a week I think I would get tired of having it. If you were concealing a single stack 9mm with 6 or 7 rounds I would say go for it but you will be fine without.

Really, a single mag is too much weight? I occasionally will carry a second mag for my XD, either 10 or 12 (maybe 13?) rounds of .40S&W, in a Galco leather single mag holster. The weight is negligible compared even to a subcompact double-stack polymer pistol, and since it sits on the opposite side of me, it balances things out. If you get a decent magazine holster that has a tight stable belt attachment, I doubt you'll notice the extra weight.

Now, belt space is a different matter. My 31-32" waist can get pretty crowded with a gun + phone on one hip, and a mag holster + child on the other hip. :p