Thread: Unloaded handgun in car in dc

Unloaded handgun in car in dc

hey everyone i got a question a friend of mine asked me today he drives a cab for washington flyer at dulles airport and he has a ccw in va he usually carry when hes working but since flyer take ppl in dc and md so he was asking me that can he take his gun with him in dc and md on him loaded or does it have to b unloaded locked in a box in his truck anyone with anykind of information will be helpfull thanxx

Welcome to OCDO. Thanks for asking questions we can actually answer.

No, your friend cannot take a firearm, or even ammunition, into DC without first having a permit to posses it. DC is just barely complying with the court order to issue permits for folks to have firearms in their homes - they have no process for "allowing" folks to have a firearm outside of the home. There is a lawsuit in the courts to try to remedy that, but a decisio is still a long way off.

No, your friend cannot take a firearm or ammunition into Maryland unless both are in separate locked containers and otherwise comply with FOPA rules (which you should Google). And since he is a cabbie he does not qualify for FOPA protections so the realistic answer is stll no for firearms in Maryland.

These responses are intentionally brief and barely bother to meet the rules of citing the relevant laws involved. But I don't think you or your friend are looking for a detailed legal education, so this is what you get.

I've never bothered to look into it but there have been mentions that some of the NOVA jurisdictions have taxicab laws that are supposed to strip cabbies of the privilege of carrying concealed while on duty, and of prohibiting open carry while working. Your friend should check a site like MuniCode http://www.municode.com/resources/online%20Library.asp to see what the various jurisdictions might have done in that regard.

You are both encouraged to go look at www.vcdl.org and become members. Also, check the Virginia forum for notices of open carry get-togethers (breakfasts, lunches, dinners, trash pick-ups and the annual Lobby Day gathering at the General Assembly building in Richmond). You will get the chance to meet good folks and learn a lot.

Finally - would you consider doing a olde pharte a favor and taking a breath every once in a while? It's difficult reading one long run-on sentence.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Welcome to OCDO.
    www.handgunlaw.us is also a very good reference for pistol-related laws.
    And I second the notion of standard English usage.
    Makes for more effective communication.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Oh you two, give him a break about the run on sentence. He's only been a member here since March 2010 and its his first post.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I've never bothered to look into it but there have been mentions that some of the NOVA jurisdictions have taxicab laws that are supposed to strip cabbies of the privilege of carrying concealed while on duty, and of prohibiting open carry while working. Your friend should check a site like MuniCode http://www.municode.com/resources/online%20Library.asp to see what the various jurisdictions might have done in that regard.
    Why wouldn't 15.2-915 invalidate any such ordinances?

TFred