• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unloaded handgun in car in dc

singh22

hey everyone i got a question a friend of mine asked me today he drives a cab for washington flyer at dulles airport and he has a ccw in va he usually carry when hes working but since flyer take ppl in dc and md so he was asking me that can he take his gun with him in dc and md on him loaded or does it have to b unloaded locked in a box in his truck anyone with anykind of information will be helpfull thanxx

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Thanks for asking questions we can actually answer.

No, your friend cannot take a firearm, or even ammunition, into DC without first having a permit to posses it. DC is just barely complying with the court order to issue permits for folks to have firearms in their homes - they have no process for "allowing" folks to have a firearm outside of the home. There is a lawsuit in the courts to try to remedy that, but a decisio is still a long way off.

No, your friend cannot take a firearm or ammunition into Maryland unless both are in separate locked containers and otherwise comply with FOPA rules (which you should Google). And since he is a cabbie he does not qualify for FOPA protections so the realistic answer is stll no for firearms in Maryland.

These responses are intentionally brief and barely bother to meet the rules of citing the relevant laws involved. But I don't think you or your friend are looking for a detailed legal education, so this is what you get.

I've never bothered to look into it but there have been mentions that some of the NOVA jurisdictions have taxicab laws that are supposed to strip cabbies of the privilege of carrying concealed while on duty, and of prohibiting open carry while working. Your friend should check a site like MuniCode http://www.municode.com/resources/online Library.asp to see what the various jurisdictions might have done in that regard.

You are both encouraged to go look at www.vcdl.org and become members. Also, check the Virginia forum for notices of open carry get-togethers (breakfasts, lunches, dinners, trash pick-ups and the annual Lobby Day gathering at the General Assembly building in Richmond). You will get the chance to meet good folks and learn a lot.

Finally - would you consider doing a olde pharte a favor and taking a breath every once in a while? It's difficult reading one long run-on sentence.

stay safe.

TFred

I've never bothered to look into it but there have been mentions that some of the NOVA jurisdictions have taxicab laws that are supposed to strip cabbies of the privilege of carrying concealed while on duty, and of prohibiting open carry while working. Your friend should check a site like MuniCode http://www.municode.com/resources/online Library.asp to see what the various jurisdictions might have done in that regard.
Why wouldn't 15.2-915 invalidate any such ordinances?

TFred