• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cal State Northridge non-Gunman

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl5|sec3_lnk3|99684

University spokeswoman Carmen Ramos Chandler said the four-story Oviatt Library was evacuated about 10:30 a.m. after the staffer reported seeing a man wearing shorts and a T-shirt that read, "Human Rights Violation."
"The witness did not see a gun but something, I don't know what, indicated he may have had a gun," Chandler said of the man. :banghead::cuss::banghead:
After a floor-by-floor search failed to turn up either the man or a weapon, campus police asked the Los Angeles Police Department to check the building with bomb-sniffing dogs.

The headline says "the gunman" turned himself in. But there is nothing to indicate that he ever had a gun, or that he in fact "turned himself in" as opposed to the cops figuring out who he was.

How a T-shirt with handwriting of "Human Rights Violation" gets turned into "...but something, I don't know what, indicated he may have had a gun" is so far beyond my ability to twist reality that my head hurts just trying to figure it out.

It is situations, and reporting, like this that make me want to pick up long, heavy implements and apply them to the brain-housing groups of certain individuals in an attempt to adjust the internal workings. Fortunately, I stop and remember that there are no internal working parts involved and thus do not need to risk trauma to my wrists.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
How a T-shirt with handwriting of "Human Rights Violation" gets turned into "...but something, I don't know what, indicated he may have had a gun" is so far beyond my ability to twist reality that my head hurts just trying to figure it out.

My son has a t-shirt depicting a cross with the statement, "This t-shirt is illegal in 37 countries." Should I worry about him being arrested because a cop thought because it's illegal in 37 countries one of those countries might be the US?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My son has a t-shirt depicting a cross with the statement, "This t-shirt is illegal in 37 countries." Should I worry about him being arrested because a cop thought because it's illegal in 37 countries one of those countries might be the US?

I don't know. Are the cops where you live as stupid as the ones at Cal State Northridge?:uhoh:

But at least the cop arresting your son would have "something" tangible to go on - the notice that the T-shirt is illegal somewhere.

This is better than the incident at George Mason University this past summer where some teenage kids saw someone with "something" wrapped in "something that might have been a towel" and called it in as MWAG on campus. At least there they had someone actually holding something that might have been a gun, or a Nobel Peace Prize. Here all we get is "The witness did not see a gun but something, I don't know what, indicated he may have had a gun".

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I don't know. Are the cops where you live as stupid as the ones at Cal State Northridge?:uhoh:

Not at all. My comment was more facetious than anything, and yes, he's worn the shirt with me as I've OC'd on several occasions.

But at least the cop arresting your son would have "something" tangible to go on - the notice that the T-shirt is illegal somewhere.

Is there a lopsided wry chuckle icon anywhere nearby?

This is better than the incident at George Mason University this past summer where some teenage kids saw someone with "something" wrapped in "something that might have been a towel" and called it in as MWAG on campus. At least there they had someone actually holding something that might have been a gun, or a Nobel Peace Prize. Here all we get is "The witness did not see a gun but something, I don't know what, indicated he may have had a gun".

Sounds much like the Va Tech scare this summer. Sure it's not one and the same?

xd shooter

"Gibson factories have been raided twice, most recently last week, by federal agents who say ebony exported from India to Gibson was "fraudulently" labeled to conceal a contravention of Indian export law."

They were raided due to an alleged "INDIAN" export law. Something supposedly illegal in another country...

Hmmm...:(

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Gibson factories have been raided twice, most recently last week, by federal agents who say ebony exported from India to Gibson was "fraudulently" labeled to conceal a contravention of Indian export law."

They were raided due to an alleged "INDIAN" export law. Something supposedly illegal in another country...

Hmmm...:(

Hmm... Our Constitutional right to free speech is illegal in many other countries. Same for the free exercise of religion, and the right to keep and bear arms.

Interesting, as his t-shirt is illegal in other countries because of it's Christian message, yet by wearing it he was exercising free speech at the same time, and I was carrying. Let's hope the U.S. doesn't start extradition for violated other countries laws.

Oh, wait... By raiding the factories, federal agents were doing pretty much the same thing, weren't they?

Hmmm...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, wait... By raiding the factories, federal agents were doing pretty much the same thing, weren't they?

Hmmm...

Come on! Play fairly.

There is a perfectly good US law that says we have to follow the laws of the country we are importing goods from when we import goods from them. The Feds were not, in any way, shape, or form attempting to enforce the laws of some other country. They had a perfectly good US law they could enforce.

The fact that Gibson had to rely on their broker in India, and the Indian government, to certify that the Indian laws were complied with should have nothing to do with enforcing the US law when it was discovered that the US could allege that the Indian government did not enforce its own laws on its own people, and did not tell the broker they did not but instead said they did.

Stop trying to impart New World Order conspiracies to plain old local conspiracies.

stay safe.

PavePusher

Come on! Play fairly.

There is a perfectly good US law that says we have to follow the laws of the country we are importing goods from when we import goods from them. The Feds were not, in any way, shape, or form attempting to enforce the laws of some other country. They had a perfectly good US law they could enforce.

The fact that Gibson had to rely on their broker in India, and the Indian government, to certify that the Indian laws were complied with should have nothing to do with enforcing the US law when it was discovered that the US could allege that the Indian government did not enforce its own laws on its own people, and did not tell the broker they did not but instead said they did.

Stop trying to impart New World Order conspiracies to plain old local conspiracies.

stay safe.

Yeah, that actually made my eyes cross....