• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question of a small town guy

jesse w

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read this. i joined this sight in order to read Post from fellow ccw and oc people.i do have a Missouri ccw and i carry every where i go(that the ccw allows me to go).I live in independence Missouri and i have looked everywhere short of going to the library and looking up law book to read the laws of open carry in independence .I would really love some input on this and is some one could tell me yah or nah that would be great. I firmly believe that there should be no reason what so ever a person should not have the right to oc.i have thought about this for quite some time but i must say the thought of going to jail has frightened me hence why i went and got my ccw to where i knew i was legal.so again if any one can give me a head up or just your own story about independence would be great thanks for your time

Jesse w

Last edited:

Jim40Cal

Welcome Jesse, I live in Independence and I can tell you it's absolutely legal to Open carry in Independence. I carry a letter in my wallet from the Chief of police that states it's legal to Open carry. If you wouldl like a copy let me know,,James

Jim40Cal

By the way Jessie you might want to stay out of Richard's Sunfresh as I shopped there for over 21 years and the other day I went in there and they told me to get out. I Open Carry everywhere I go and nobody anywhere else has said a word to me but maybe inquired as to how they could carry. We have meeting's once a month around the area so stay tuned and come to the meetings and meet some of the fella's. James

jesse w

thanks james i read your post on sunfresh and i live super close to there i and my friends and family will now ne boycoting them and as far as open cary meeting sounds great would like to meet some fellow enthuisest

Jesse w

p.s yes that letter would be varry cool to have

Last edited:

prep4life09

Maybe we should start a thread to let everyone know which businesses don't allow open carry. That way we can all boycott them & also let them know why we are boycotting them.
I don't want to be in a business that doesn't allow citizens to legally carry firearms. How safe can a place like that be??:question:

NG19

Maybe we should start a thread to let everyone know which businesses don't allow open carry. That way we can all boycott them & also let them know why we are boycotting them.
I don't want to be in a business that doesn't allow citizens to legally carry firearms. How safe can a place like that be??:question:

There is a site called friendorfoe that allows users to input data on friendly or non-friendly businesses.

jesse w

i went out to dinner tonight and was told yet another reason to carry. an older lady was robed and held at gun point at my fav place to eat.bob evens over by the mall in independence.this being said i have now gotten my wife to understand how serious things are getting and she will now be taking a ccw class and i could not be happier. i think i will sleep a bit essayer tonight. next step is for the both of us to start to oc

HYRYSC

Another great way to look up laws that are applicable is to use the internet. Independence MO has a website here:

http://www.ci.independence.mo.us/

just scroll to the bottom and you will see a list of click-able links. The third one down on the left hand side on the bottom section is a link that says "City Code". This is a great starting point to find out what your city codes are.

You can also call the city clerk and ask her to read the applicable section of the current law (it helps to already have the correct section and paragraph that you want read). This way you can see what the actual law is instead of getting an "opinion" of a law enforcement officer that may or may not actually know the law.

I have done this on more than one occasion to several city and county clerks and they have always been most helpful.

Jim40Cal

i went out to dinner tonight and was told yet another reason to carry. an older lady was robed and held at gun point at my fav place to eat.bob evens over by the mall in independence.this being said i have now gotten my wife to understand how serious things are getting and she will now be taking a ccw class and i could not be happier. i think i will sleep a bit essayer tonight. next step is for the both of us to start to oc

My daughter works at Bob Evans and was at work that night the lady was robbed. She told me aboout it when she came home. My son also works there and was held at gun point about a year ago outside the restaurant one night. They caught the guy and he got 3 months for robbery. Go figure...

Last edited: