• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No more OC till November 18

Marco

The hogs will spread around here too. Wild hogs and Coyotes? In Virginia? 40 years ago who would have imagined it?

Both are similiar to herpes as in you'll never get rid of them.
I know there are Feral pigs in Culpeper and we have plenty of coyotes around here.
Louisa Co is now allowing .22 centerfire rifles for yotes.
I've taken 3 yotes from my rear deck.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's Sunday and I'm out of the woods...well, not really, but I'm not hunting so I can carry today.

Total sightings for yesterday, one good sized Doe, one small Doe, one medium size Bear and three Wood Ducks.

All were allowed to peacefully go about their business except the good size Doe. It's in the freezer:)

I did go to the range yesterday at lunchtime to try out some long range loads for my Super Blackhawk. Pretty impressive results at
100 yards which is the practical limit I can shoot a handgun.

sbuff

It's Sunday and I'm out of the woods...well, not really, but I'm not hunting so I can carry today.

Total sightings for yesterday, one good sized Doe, one small Doe, one medium size Bear and three Wood Ducks.

All were allowed to peacefully go about their business except the good size Doe. It's in the freezer:)

I did go to the range yesterday at lunchtime to try out some long range loads for my Super Blackhawk. Pretty impressive results at

100 yds with a handgun?! I bow in your general direction, Sir. I am happy to hit paper at 50yds!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
[/B]

100 yds with a handgun?! I bow in your general direction, Sir. I am happy to hit paper at 50yds!

It depends on the gun with me Sbuff and this is off a rest. My Contenders all handle long range and three of my Super Blackhawks and my 45/70 BFR (I sold the 45lc/410 and it wasn't all that accurate).

Other than those guns, I'm at 50 yards or less.

I am kinda happy with this load though. One group I shot actually came close to outdoing a group on the same target I'd just shot with my 270 Weatherby.

2a4all

[/B]

So would Wild Bill Hickok!

From Wikipedia:

"On July 21, 1865, in the town square of Springfield, Missouri, Hickok met and killed Davis Tutt in a "quick draw" duel –the first of its kind. The two men faced each other sideways in the dueling stance (rather than face to face as is commonly shown in movies). Fiction later popularized this kind of gun duel as typical, but Hickok's is the first one on record to fit the portrayal.... Both men faced each other and fired almost simultaneously. Tutt's shot missed, but Hickok's did not, piercing Tutt through the side from about 75 yards away. Tutt called out, "Boys, I'm killed" before he collapsed and died."​

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think handgun technology's come a tad since those hammer notch sights and BP loads...but who cares about that stuff anyway.

If I recall correctly, Wild Bill carried a pair of .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers. Sort of a girlie gun. No real sights and I expect about a foot of drop at 75 yards.

Last edited:

2a4all

I think handgun technology's come a tad since those hammer notch sights and BP loads...but who cares about that stuff anyway.

If I recall correctly, Wild Bill carried a pair of .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers. Sort of a girlie gun. No real sights and I expect about a foot of drop at 75 yards.
He did, but he may have acquired (or possibly engraved) them later. And I doubt that anyone suggested to him that they were "girlie guns".

From Wikipedia:
"Hickok's favorite guns were a pair of cap-and-ball Colt 1851 .36 Navy Model pistols, which he wore until his death. These were silver-plated with ivory handles, and were engraved: "J.B. Hickock-1869". He wore his revolvers backwards in a belt or sash (when donning city clothes or buckskins, respectively), and seldom used holsters per se; he drew the pistols using a "reverse", "twist" or Cavalry draw, as would a cavalryman."​

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And I doubt that anyone suggested to him that they were "girlie guns".

Really......he had a good press agent, nothing more. He had a lot more in common with people like Custer than the same hairdresser.
One of your hero's ????

celticredneck

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that I can carry on my own property during archery and muzzle loading season as long as I am not out there hunting with my crossbow or my muzzle loader. I'll be out this week, checking to be sure that none of my no trespassing signs has been torn down, and I will be carrying my 1911.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that I can carry on my own property during archery and muzzle loading season as long as I am not out there hunting with my crossbow or my muzzle loader. I'll be out this week, checking to be sure that none of my no trespassing signs has been torn down, and I will be carrying my 1911.

You are correct!

My problem is that if I'm out, I'm hunting or at least will have my crossbow, then my muzzleloader. I spend March through September getting ready to hunt and October through February, hunting.

At the risk of breaking the board rules, I'll carry anyway if I feel it's necessary. The whole point I'm making is... how stupid P4P is.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP
At the risk of breaking the board rules, I'll carry anyway if I feel it's necessary.

Oh my god, you are advocating illegal activity!!!! How dare you do that on OCDO!! What is wrong with you?!?!?

Just kidding Peter :D

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Oh my god, you are advocating illegal activity!!!! How dare you do that on OCDO!! What is wrong with you?!?!?

Just kidding Peter :D

Not the first time:cry:
Ed got on me for admitting I threw Cigarette butts out of my car window when I was in the City.:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Another week and I can legally carry a handgun again...but until then:uhoh:

setting-out-cameras.jpg

627PCFan

Poor Peter, feels undergunned with a 50 cal muzzleloader for self defense ;)

Just kidding. I knew about the permit, but didnt realize that it affected OC.

MSC 45ACP

It depends on the gun with me Sbuff and this is off a rest. My Contenders all handle long range and three of my Super Blackhawks and my 45/70 BFR (I sold the 45lc/410 and it wasn't all that accurate).

Other than those guns, I'm at 50 yards or less.

I am kinda happy with this load though. One group I shot actually came close to outdoing a group on the same target I'd just shot with my 270 Weatherby.

Since we're already OT...
I guess we don't have many match-shooters here. NRA Bullseye (outdoor) matches have courses of fire at 50 and 25 yards.
50 yards slow fire; 10 rounds, 10 minutes
25 yards timed fire, 5 rounds, 20 seconds (twice)
25 yards rapid fire, 5 rounds, 10 seconds (twice)
This is done one-handed with .45 ACP,
Centerfire (most also use their 45's, but some use Hammerli 32's, 38 Super or some other weirdchit) and
.22 (most are chambered for Long Rifle. I had a S&W Mod 41 that shot well enough. Many use Rugers, and there are still a few High Standards, Hammerli's, Pardini's and other exotics out there...

These matches are called 2700's or 3-gun matches. The National Pistol Matches are held every year at Camp Perry, OH with this format.

Its a lot of fun and quite a challenge. My First goal when I started was to just keep all 10 rounds ON THE TARGET at the 50-yard line. By the time I finished match shooting, I was happy to keep them in the "black" on the B-8 target.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic after this brief foray from the world of Open Carrying of Pistols.