• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia Rockdale County New G.W.C.L Carry License - SEPT 2011 CURRENT UPDATES

DougGa

Hello,

New to the site and thought it would be helpful to post my experiences getting a carry license which is labeled Georgia Weapons Carry License. Which physically looks just like the ones I've seen issued in other counties. Of course expires in five years. My wife and I both applied the same day and both licenses came in about 1-2 weeks which was much quicker than we were expecting based on their instructions. We downloaded the printable documents, two sets, and filled them out before going, there were places on the document you MUST NOT sign at home, wait until you arrive their under clerk witness to sign. Like most government systems there were still 1 or 2 small forms they gave us to fill out there in the office I guess they assume we can download from the website but you can't. No issues though.

We drove to downtown Conyers and no reason to park at the courthouse on the right. Turn left into the alley right across the street, front of courthouse at the light, that goes to the rear of the Whistle Post bar and grill, use their parking free. Walk down to the courthouse and cross the light but you want to proceed to the left side entrance through security, right all the way down hall, right again, probate court. They are really nice ladies working in there. Almost shocking to see that sort of polite kindness in any place around here in recent years. So they cranked us both out in less than 45 minutes and charged about 70+ each if I recall which is more than what the state regulations state, other counties are cheaper for some reason. In any case we then drove over to Sigman Rd off I20 and right over RR tracks then left into complex but DONT drive all the way to the jail around the curve to the right. You ACTUALLY turn left before that curve and wrap around to the south side of the complex and go in. 5 bucks each and fingerprinted in which the cop was again very nice. Man that made my day not being jerked around.

LAWS:
The way I am told I can carry in holster but I need to remember my actions can affect the way people vote and how the community embraces carry. So I need to be thoughtful and not walk around like Wild Bill hickOC. If I conceal I can use a sleeve holster for the pocket or watse band, or a holster. Can't carry in church, at the parade, public gatherings and any business with NO Weapons posted on a sign which can also be challenged in some cases. Can't carry in a bar, but can in a place that sells alcohol but they need to primarily be a restaurant otherwise in a bar the owner has to grant permission. I can't carry to a school, stop at a school with it, but I can drive by the school well within the 1000 foot banned zone if I'm simply driving by on the public street, live or work around there. If a cop pulls me over I need to slowly calmly let them know I have a permit and weapon and ask how to slowly proceed. It also appears I can't carry into a post office since they still consider that a government building. Some places quote the law and say Federal Government, some say both local, state and federal. I assume ALL Government buildings. I also assume it means military base, nuclear facility banned.

This could be fine tuned but I've done a lot of reading of both the law, sites and literature but I think they intentionally leave some of this stuff vague to their advantage. This area has had several car jackings, robberies, home invasions and murders within just a few weeks. Not a racist here but the "hood" so to speak is stretching from Dekalb into Rockdale and all the trashiest people from Covington area are squeezing from the other side. A lot of really decent people say 60% have moved and we are still over populated with people from NY, NJ and all over. Nobody here waves at stop signs any longer and they are all rude in businesses, on the street and in stores. 3 doors were recently kicked down during the day here in my own fairly upscale community. Suddenly we have title pawns, 24hr check cashing places, street gang style clothing outlets, and literally hoods living all around us. Just one trip to Walmart at night is a real eye opener. The police force has exploded here and for the first time in 20 years cops have been killed and crimes you would have never thought would happen. City government is taken over by a lot of idiots, so has the school system and we cannot sell our house and move due to the economy.

So with 30+ years of good luck I felt like it was time to begin carrying. I just hope I never have to use it.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO DougGa - congratulations on your decision to take your safety and that of your loved ones responsibly.

Strange to me that different counties can charge varying amounts for a state license. Never understood the reasoning behind that.

evomx5

Yes...definitely go to GPDO...tons of useful info.

There are some errors in your interpretations of the laws. GPDO has all the firearms laws and places off limits. Also, the forums are very informative. Especially read the LEO Encounters and Holsters/Method of Carry sections. Since you are new to carrying, there is much you need to know about your rights while carrying.

There is no duty to inform LE when you have the unfortunate luck to be stopped, but that will be up to you and how you perceive the situation.

Glad your licensing experience was good and I hope you carry wherever and whenever you can.:D

Last edited:

PX4Storm40

Congrats on the ease of getting your licenses! Definitely research your rights about carrying. From what I've read on these forums, SB308 did away with not being able to carry to open gatherings. If the folks at the courthouse told you that, I don't guess I should be surprised if they were wrong on the law. Though, my understanding could also be wrong, so,anyone, feel free to let me know if I am in fact wrong about carrying at open gatherings. Also, GA doesn't require you to notify LEO's during traffic stops, that you are carrying. However, I just started OC'ing and already had my first encounter with a LEO and I did offer up my GWCL based on my circumstances and it turned out to work in my favor. But a lot of folks on georgiapacking.org had a LOT to say about that! but I do OC EVERYWHERE I'm legally allowed to. I'm in Paulding county and I recently checked on GWCL fees here and they were also about $70! When I got my current GWCL in Jackson county in 2008, it was only $30.

Welcome to the OC crowd! You'll find a lot of info on these forums and a lot of people that can help inform you! Good Luck and stay safe friend!

aadvark

DougGa:

Whoever Told You some Things got Them all WRONG..., and so do You!

First of: Open Carry is Legal within a 1000 Feet of a School, whether on Foot or in a Motor Vehicle, so as long as You do NOT go into a School Building, onto School Property, or while Physically Present at a Place where You Know a School Event is taking Place.

Secondly: The Public Gathering Law was Repealed..., Period! Open Carry and Concealed Carry is LEGAL to or while at ALL Parades, Carnivals, Festivals, Demonstrations, Events, Protests, Marches, Special Purpose Events, etc..

Thirdly: Bar Carry is ALLOWED, Contingent, on an Owners or Managers Permission, whether Written or Verbal, IF You have a Georgia Weapons Carry License. Drinking Alcohol is also ALLOWED while Carrying, Openly or Concealed, Loaded or Unloaded, so as long as You do NOT Discharge The Firearm, except; in Cases of Self-Defense.

Fourthly: There is NO Requirement that a Handgun, as Defined under Georgia Code 16-11-125.1, need be in any Type of Holster. If You Wish..., You may Openly Carry Your Handgun, Literally, in Your Hand..., Seriously!

Fifthly: Open Carry is Required for some Types of Firearms and in some Venues..., such as Hunting. Open Carry has NOTHING to do with how others Vote..., as The Georgia General Assembly has Full Control over ALL Firearm Laws, except Three, per 16-11-173, AND, Open Carry in and of itself is NOT Disorderly, Reckless, and is NOT Unlawful. Even if You CHOOSE to Carry Concealed, there is NO REQUIREMENT to Divulge that Information to a Police Officer during a Police/Citizen Contact OR Police/CitizenTraffic Stop/etc.. Some Police Appreciate that You Tell Them..., while others Precieve it as a Threat. However..., Legally Speaking, You ONLY have to Show Your License if and only if The Police Know for a Fact You are Carrying a Weapon, as Defined under Georgia Code 16-11-125.1(5). If They do NOT Know..., then, if You can, and should You want to do so, Keep it that Way.

aadvark

*** Unfortunately: You are Right about 1 Thing, Government Buildings Continue to be Banned, at least for now, under Georgia Code 16-11-127(b)(1), and Federal Buildings under Federal Code 18 U.S.C. 930. However, there is a Rumor that The State Prohibiton on Firearms in Local Governmental Buildings may Change during The 2012 Legislative Session of The Georgia General Assembly..., and for GODS' SAKES I Hope so! ***

Last edited:

DougGa

First of all thanks for the informative posts and setting me straight. If anything, these things are so confusing and inconsistent lawyers, judges and police would all disagree. Bottom line is that we'll be carrying everywhere but the places that are clearly off limits to even the brain dead. It's nice to go to the store at 12:00pm for cold medicine and feel more safe. One of my sons (28) at having some issues with the whole gun thing. My youngest (22) is eager to get started.

My wife and I drilled on 2 shot combat point and shoot techniques out at Charlie Elliot's Wildlife preserve. They have a decent range that's free and I'm also finding my target boards with regular paper plates stapled on, are the best practice. As soon as the damned targets go up, or if my wife's laser is on, she starts sight shooting. I have to coach her back to point and shoot and suddenly we're both nailing these plates with both shots consistently at 21 feet, 7yds

The accuracy is actually better over all which is shocking and the 2 shot bursts work great and deliver rounds on target in less than a second sometimes. It is just crazy how much I was missing with the traditional sighted target shooting mind set. This alone is beginning to make us feel much more confident and SAFE!!!

BTW, a really nice guy on the S&W forum has been communicating and coaching us on these techniques, man, there are a lot of good people out here if you know where to look, speaking of which, thanks again.