Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Non Resident Open Carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Saint Petersburg Florida
    Posts
    23

    Non Resident Open Carry?

    Hello

    I am going to be in Alabama from October 20 to the 23 and was wondering if I can open carry? I have a CWP from Florida.

    Cheers

    Michael

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    There's nothing in AL law making OC illegal in AL, so you're good to go for OCing.

    However, you'll need your FL CWP to CC and to have your gun accessible in your vehicle.

    Someone will be along shortly to give you the legal chapter and verse shortly....

    Have a great time, where are you going? Some places in AL are more forgiving for OC than others. Check out ALOC.com for more info. http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php

    Good luck.
    Last edited by FTG-05; 09-28-2011 at 05:53 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Saint Petersburg Florida
    Posts
    23

    Smile

    You know what ticks me off is that I lived in Birmingham for 3 1/2 years, just moving back to Tampa last December, and never knew Alabama was an Open Carry State. I would have OC everywhere.

    Anyway I will be taking part in the BHM Shootout, at the FOP range in Pleasent Grove, on October 22 but will be in Birmigham from 10-20 to 10-23.

    I hope to catch the UAB vs UCF football game on the 20th.

    [B]BTW I need a ticket. LOL[/B]

    Cheers

    Michael

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    Ok, but be advised that some Jefferson County Sheriffs (Birmingham) are very anti-OC.

    Also, I have no clue about stadium carry (public or private etc.) I highly recommend that ALOC site for better and specific info and advise. Those guys have AL wired down tight!

    On another note, as an UCF grad, I hope they kick UAB's ass! No offense.

    Have fun!
    Last edited by FTG-05; 09-29-2011 at 08:18 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    There's nothing in AL law making OC illegal in AL, so you're good to go for OCing.

    However, you'll need your FL CWP to CC and to have your gun accessible in your vehicle.

    Someone will be along shortly to give you the legal chapter and verse shortly....

    Have a great time, where are you going? Some places in AL are more forgiving for OC than others. Check out ALOC.com for more info. http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php

    Good luck.
    Wrong. He will need the Florida Permit to CC and have a pistol in the vehicle AT ALL, unless he is traveling through AL and makes no detours or stops for things other than gas, hotel if necissary and food on the way. Any stops for visiting would mean he is not just passing through and thus would not be covered by the 86' law. AL does not allow handguns, whether accessible or not, in a motor vehicle without a permit.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    What are the laws for carrying a firearm in an automobile in Alabama?
    It is illegal to carry a pistol in a vehicle in Alabama without a license except under the following conditions:

    1. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle from the place of purchase to his home or place of business.

    2. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle to and from his home or business to a place of repair.

    3. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle when moving from one place of abode or business to another.

    Actual law, bottom of page 11: http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    What are the laws for carrying a firearm in an automobile in Alabama?
    It is illegal to carry a pistol in a vehicle in Alabama without a license except under the following conditions:

    1. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle from the place of purchase to his home or place of business.

    2. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle to and from his home or business to a place of repair.

    3. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle when moving from one place of abode or business to another.

    Actual law, bottom of page 11: http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf
    I'd like to say I just assumed those would not apply to the Florida guy, as they probably don't, but it seems I forgot those... good cite.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Wrong. He will need the Florida Permit to CC and have a pistol in the vehicle AT ALL, unless he is traveling through AL and makes no detours or stops for things other than gas, hotel if necissary and food on the way. Any stops for visiting would mean he is not just passing through and thus would not be covered by the 86' law. AL does not allow handguns, whether accessible or not, in a motor vehicle without a permit.
    And you want to talk about me making up rumors that can get somebody arrrested. I can guarantee you this can't be backed up by an AL law.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by ALOC1911 View Post
    And you want to talk about me making up rumors that can get somebody arrrested. I can guarantee you this can't be backed up by an AL law.
    Not a very good guarantee.

    "No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided."

    Or are you referring to the AL law exceptions that were already brought up, but don't really apply to those just visiting the state of Alabama?
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Not a very good guarantee.

    "No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided."
    Yeah that's right and it applies to anybody traveling through whether they make any other stops other than food/gas/motel or not. You said people traveling through could do so without a license as long as they only stopped for f/g/m but the law makes no exemption for nonresidents just "traveling through". You should know this if you know there is a such a thing as reciprocity with other states.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Or are you referring to the AL law exceptions that were already brought up, but don't really apply to those just visiting the state of Alabama?
    OK explain this one.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    41
    Lets not make this any more complicated.
    Swatpamike's original question was can he carry openly in Alabama. He also advised he has a FL CCW permit. Yes he can carry openly in Alabama. Anyone from anywhere can carry openly while on foot, in Alabama. You do not need a permit, from FL or Alabama if you are open carrying in Alabama.
    Alabama regognizes Fl permits. You will need the FL permit if you carry concealed or in your vehicle.
    If you are coming to Alabama from Florida, stop at the state line, uncover your sidearm and CARRY ON.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by ALOC1911 View Post
    Yeah that's right and it applies to anybody traveling through whether they make any other stops other than food/gas/motel or not. You said people traveling through could do so without a license as long as they only stopped for f/g/m but the law makes no exemption for nonresidents just "traveling through". You should know this if you know there is a such a thing as reciprocity with other states.



    OK explain this one.
    I assume anyone just visiting would not own a business or house in the state, and thus be able to bring their pistol from out of state to such a location and from business to house and vice versa. I assume anyone just visiting is not a LEO, if they were they wouldn't be asking about local laws, and would just use their illegal federal privileges to carry. And I assume they are not coming into the state to repair or sell their firearm.

    My general point I was trying to make, because most people don't seem to understand, is that the Federal protection for interstate travel, where one has to have the firearm in a secure wrapper or some such, does not apply for just driving around in a state. And thus couldn't be used to go to a hotel then to walmart, then to Ihop then to a scenic park then... somewhere else. The Alabama exceptions don't even allow this, they are for to and from a repair shop, personally owned business, not general travel.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by AirBear View Post
    If you are coming to Alabama from Florida, stop at the state line, uncover your sidearm and CARRY ON.
    If its in a vehicle there is no distinction between OC and CC, both need a permit.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786
    As much as it gripes my butt to say it, Daylen is exactly right on every point he has made in this thread.

    If your permit is not good in Alabama, the pistol must be unloaded in a secure wrapper in accordance with the federal law and you must be traveling through the state of Alabama to somewhere you are allowed to carry in a vehicle (either because of your permit or that state's laws).

    If your permit is good in Alabama, the pistol may be carried openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, in or out of your vehicle.

    If you are an Alabama resident, you must have a permit or be able to claim one of the limited exceptions already mentioned in this thread. Just having it unloaded and secured is not good enough.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone Baritone View Post
    As much as it gripes my butt to say it, Daylen is exactly right on every point he has made in this thread.

    If your permit is not good in Alabama, the pistol must be unloaded in a secure wrapper in accordance with the federal law and you must be traveling through the state of Alabama to somewhere you are allowed to carry in a vehicle (either because of your permit or that state's laws).

    If your permit is good in Alabama, the pistol may be carried openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, in or out of your vehicle.

    If you are an Alabama resident, you must have a permit or be able to claim one of the limited exceptions already mentioned in this thread. Just having it unloaded and secured is not good enough.
    Its a ****** law, but hopefully it won't be around much longer. Heck I think if all Alabama gun owners knew about it it wouldn't have lasted this long.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •