• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non Resident Open Carry?

FTG-05

There's nothing in AL law making OC illegal in AL, so you're good to go for OCing.

However, you'll need your FL CWP to CC and to have your gun accessible in your vehicle.

Someone will be along shortly to give you the legal chapter and verse shortly....

Have a great time, where are you going? Some places in AL are more forgiving for OC than others. Check out ALOC.com for more info. http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php

Good luck.

Last edited:

swatpamike

You know what ticks me off is that I lived in Birmingham for 3 1/2 years, just moving back to Tampa last December, and never knew Alabama was an Open Carry State. I would have OC everywhere.

Anyway I will be taking part in the BHM Shootout, at the FOP range in Pleasent Grove, on October 22 but will be in Birmigham from 10-20 to 10-23.

I hope to catch the UAB vs UCF football game on the 20th.

[B]BTW I need a ticket. LOL[/B] ;)

Cheers

Michael

FTG-05

Ok, but be advised that some Jefferson County Sheriffs (Birmingham) are very anti-OC.

Also, I have no clue about stadium carry (public or private etc.) I highly recommend that ALOC site for better and specific info and advise. Those guys have AL wired down tight!

On another note, as an UCF grad, I hope they kick UAB's ass! No offense. :D

Have fun!

Last edited:

Daylen

There's nothing in AL law making OC illegal in AL, so you're good to go for OCing.

However, you'll need your FL CWP to CC and to have your gun accessible in your vehicle.

Someone will be along shortly to give you the legal chapter and verse shortly....

Have a great time, where are you going? Some places in AL are more forgiving for OC than others. Check out ALOC.com for more info. http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php

Good luck.

Wrong. He will need the Florida Permit to CC and have a pistol in the vehicle AT ALL, unless he is traveling through AL and makes no detours or stops for things other than gas, hotel if necissary and food on the way. Any stops for visiting would mean he is not just passing through and thus would not be covered by the 86' law. AL does not allow handguns, whether accessible or not, in a motor vehicle without a permit.

FTG-05

What are the laws for carrying a firearm in an automobile in Alabama?
It is illegal to carry a pistol in a vehicle in Alabama without a license except under the following conditions:

1. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle from the place of purchase to his home or place of business.

2. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle to and from his home or business to a place of repair.

3. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle when moving from one place of abode or business to another.

Actual law, bottom of page 11: http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

Daylen

What are the laws for carrying a firearm in an automobile in Alabama?
It is illegal to carry a pistol in a vehicle in Alabama without a license except under the following conditions:

1. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle from the place of purchase to his home or place of business.

2. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle to and from his home or business to a place of repair.

3. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle when moving from one place of abode or business to another.

Actual law, bottom of page 11: http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

I'd like to say I just assumed those would not apply to the Florida guy, as they probably don't, but it seems I forgot those... good cite.

ALOC1911

Wrong. He will need the Florida Permit to CC and have a pistol in the vehicle AT ALL, unless he is traveling through AL and makes no detours or stops for things other than gas, hotel if necissary and food on the way. Any stops for visiting would mean he is not just passing through and thus would not be covered by the 86' law. AL does not allow handguns, whether accessible or not, in a motor vehicle without a permit.

And you want to talk about me making up rumors that can get somebody arrrested. I can guarantee you this can't be backed up by an AL law.

Daylen

And you want to talk about me making up rumors that can get somebody arrrested. I can guarantee you this can't be backed up by an AL law.

Not a very good guarantee.

"No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided."

Or are you referring to the AL law exceptions that were already brought up, but don't really apply to those just visiting the state of Alabama?

ALOC1911

Not a very good guarantee.

"No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided."

Yeah that's right and it applies to anybody traveling through whether they make any other stops other than food/gas/motel or not. You said people traveling through could do so without a license as long as they only stopped for f/g/m but the law makes no exemption for nonresidents just "traveling through". You should know this if you know there is a such a thing as reciprocity with other states.

Or are you referring to the AL law exceptions that were already brought up, but don't really apply to those just visiting the state of Alabama?

OK explain this one.

AirBear

Lets not make this any more complicated.
Swatpamike's original question was can he carry openly in Alabama. He also advised he has a FL CCW permit. Yes he can carry openly in Alabama. Anyone from anywhere can carry openly while on foot, in Alabama. You do not need a permit, from FL or Alabama if you are open carrying in Alabama.
Alabama regognizes Fl permits. You will need the FL permit if you carry concealed or in your vehicle.
If you are coming to Alabama from Florida, stop at the state line, uncover your sidearm and CARRY ON.

Daylen

Yeah that's right and it applies to anybody traveling through whether they make any other stops other than food/gas/motel or not. You said people traveling through could do so without a license as long as they only stopped for f/g/m but the law makes no exemption for nonresidents just "traveling through". You should know this if you know there is a such a thing as reciprocity with other states.

OK explain this one.

I assume anyone just visiting would not own a business or house in the state, and thus be able to bring their pistol from out of state to such a location and from business to house and vice versa. I assume anyone just visiting is not a LEO, if they were they wouldn't be asking about local laws, and would just use their illegal federal privileges to carry. And I assume they are not coming into the state to repair or sell their firearm.

My general point I was trying to make, because most people don't seem to understand, is that the Federal protection for interstate travel, where one has to have the firearm in a secure wrapper or some such, does not apply for just driving around in a state. And thus couldn't be used to go to a hotel then to walmart, then to Ihop then to a scenic park then... somewhere else. The Alabama exceptions don't even allow this, they are for to and from a repair shop, personally owned business, not general travel.

Brimstone Baritone

As much as it gripes my butt to say it, Daylen is exactly right on every point he has made in this thread.

If your permit is not good in Alabama, the pistol must be unloaded in a secure wrapper in accordance with the federal law and you must be traveling through the state of Alabama to somewhere you are allowed to carry in a vehicle (either because of your permit or that state's laws).

If your permit is good in Alabama, the pistol may be carried openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, in or out of your vehicle.

If you are an Alabama resident, you must have a permit or be able to claim one of the limited exceptions already mentioned in this thread. Just having it unloaded and secured is not good enough.

Daylen

As much as it gripes my butt to say it, Daylen is exactly right on every point he has made in this thread.

If your permit is not good in Alabama, the pistol must be unloaded in a secure wrapper in accordance with the federal law and you must be traveling through the state of Alabama to somewhere you are allowed to carry in a vehicle (either because of your permit or that state's laws).

If your permit is good in Alabama, the pistol may be carried openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, in or out of your vehicle.

If you are an Alabama resident, you must have a permit or be able to claim one of the limited exceptions already mentioned in this thread. Just having it unloaded and secured is not good enough.

Its a ****** law, but hopefully it won't be around much longer. Heck I think if all Alabama gun owners knew about it it wouldn't have lasted this long.