• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lok-It Up program (King County funded)

Dave_pro2a

Last edited:

decklin

I like that they are encouraging people to lock up firearms not in their immediate control but this seems like it is painting a misleading picture. I wonder how many of these firearm related incidents were due to crime, parental abuse, suicide, etc. I know that the average citizen looking at those "facts" probably is not going to think about that. Most people do not know that the number one cause of death for children in the U.S. is the parents, whether through neglect or abuse.
I agree that this is indeed outside the realm of the health department. This will just lead to more uninformed people running around quoting "facts" instead of finding the information for themselves and making their own decision. Instead people seem more than willing to turn their ability of free will and thought over to somebody else.

amlevin

I like that they are encouraging people to lock up firearms not in their immediate control but this seems like it is painting a misleading picture. I wonder how many of these firearm related incidents were due to crime, parental abuse, suicide, etc. I know that the average citizen looking at those "facts" probably is not going to think about that. Most people do not know that the number one cause of death for children in the U.S. is the parents, whether through neglect or abuse.
I agree that this is indeed outside the realm of the health department. This will just lead to more uninformed people running around quoting "facts" instead of finding the information for themselves and making their own decision. Instead people seem more than willing to turn their ability of free will and thought over to somebody else.

Perhaps a study of how many children die from firearm accidents vs neglect while in the "custody" of DSHS CPS division would be more revealing. How many children have died from beatings, starvation, and other forms of neglect while wards of the State and under the watchful (?) umbrella of CPS? How many have died during the same period from firearm accidents?

It may be possible that more children could be saved by "Locking Up CPS".

1911er

Storing firearms locked and unloaded, with ammunition locked separately, can reduce the risk of injuries and deaths involving children and teens.

And the life expectancy of the burglars victims no matter what there age:

I prefer to carry mine in A holster loaded it makes me feel a little more at ease.

Lammo

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/ca/fatalitiesinwa.pdf

DSHS report on child fatalities for last few years.

quick says 3500 kids dies from 2005 to 2009 roughly 100 were from firearms from the lok-itup site data.
150 deaths look to have occured with an open case according to the report so yes CPS had more deaths, though I expect there was overlap in the numbers.

Does it say how they defined "child"? IIRC, the last time the antis wanted to do something "for the children" the numbers they used required them to define "child" all the way up to age 19 and the incidents they cited included teenage gangbangers killed in drive-bys. There's only one thing on earth more suspect than a jobs program from the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and that is child death/injury statistics used to justify any sort of "gun safety" program. Good thing I don't live in King County or I would have to start an effort to stop this waste of the taxpayers money.

amlevin

Good thing I don't live in King County or I would have to start an effort to stop this waste of the taxpayers money.

It's a REAL good thing you don't live in King County. You'd have so many choices as to which wastes of money to stop you wouldn't have time to work.

You ought to see some of the "Art for Public Works projects" that consume millions of public funds. Like a bunch of painted junk tires that croak like frogs at a waste transfer station for one.

Isn't it amazing how much money can be wasted on "feel good" projects that in the end don't accomplish a thing.

Last edited: