• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got out of a $800+ ticket for carrying a 1911..

carracer

So, you get pulled over. Officer comes to the car and you inform him. Officer takes your papers back to his car. Then he comes back up and disarms you? Seems like he would have done that when you told him you were armed. This is the only thread I have -ever- read where an officer actually went further than just remove the mag and cleared the chamber.

heresolong

Ruby,

I suppose you approve of government mandated health insurance as well. I mean if you don't have health insurance someone else is going to have to pay to take care of you.

Really? My brother got hurt about ten years ago in a motorcycle crash while he didn't have medical insurance. No one is paying his bills. He is making payments to the hospital.

My wife had some expenses while visiting family that were not covered by our medical insurance. No one paid our bills. We made payments to the medical company that did the treatment.

Where does this idea come from that the uninsured are being paid for by everyone else? Honestly. I don't know. Unless they are just skipping town after giving a false name.

OCd all over my house last night, just to keep this on topic. :)

amzbrady

In your very first post you say you are waiting for employment. Do you think it's going to come knocking on your door?!? Maybe you are waiting to hear from someone that you had a job interview with? In the course of my entire life, I've never had anyone knock on my door and offer me a job.Is there a bus or public transit center close to where you live? Use that to look for work and get around for errands you must run. Let your friend find someone to help him who is legal to drive. The next time this happens, the LEO might not be so understanding. You could lose your license and end up in jail. In Washington state, driving without insurance is a $500.00 fine. I was rear-ended in 2009 by someone who didn't have insurance and that's what the LEO told him. He and his family vanished after that. My insurance company paid everything, including my medical, because I carried full coverage, which includes uninsured motors. My insurance company never was able to contact him or collect a dime. There is a reason why auto insurance is mandatory.My car died in February of this year. Leak in the head gasket, car 15 years old, iffy transmission, $2,000 to fix. I sold it to the junk man, got a bus pass and I walk and ride the bus. And I work 2 part time jobs.So, get off your backside and get moving. I'm 64 and if I can do it, surely to God you can. You are giving OC a bad name, carrying your gun like that and breaking the law, and knowing that you are breaking the law. Think! What are you going to do if you are involved in an accident while driving uninsured?!?

You go girl... I also was hit by a motorist that was Driving on a suspended, Uninsured, and expired tags from Alaska, My wife was 7 months pregnant at the time and started having slight contractions, luckily all they did was have her drink 24oz of water to stop the contractions. Our car got totalled. WSP let the other guy drive away after getting his info. I had to pay the tow truck driver, A rental, I learned that day why the Insurance agent had tried so hard to talk me into getting Uninsured Motorist insurance, and why you should have GAP insurance on a vehicle you are making payments on. I had to come up with over $1200 for a down payment on a new car. The only blessing was, I took him to small claims court and when he no showed I won by default. The blessing was he was buying a house. 3 years later when he went to refinance it, all liens had to be paid and I got back almost half of what the accident cost me. I didnt really enjoy having to pay another year on a car in a junk yard. So sorry no pity for people who drive without insurance. I would like to see laws like Philly. No insurance you lose your tags and if the car hits the road, auto impoundment.

Ruby,

I suppose you approve of government mandated health insurance as well. I mean if you don't have health insurance someone else is going to have to pay to take care of you. Car insurance should be optional. Get it if you want it. If you don't you might have to pay the consequences later if you get in an accident but how often does that really happen. You are focusing on the wrong part of his story. The important part is how he was treated by the officer regarding his firearm.

Edit: Don't assume he's not actively looking for a job.

Government mandated health care is completly different. I YOU get sick, that doesnt effect my family and cost me thousands. If YOU dont have insurance and hit me, that does effect my family and cost me thousands.

+1

Why someone would knowingly break the law while purporting to represent the OC community is beyond my comprehension.

+1

1. This is why your mom always told you to wear clean underwear; just in case you are in an accident. Same goes for your sidearm, make sure it is clean just in case it gets inspected by a stranger.

2. I agree if your not following ALL the laws then don't OC/CC. It isn't fair that I have to register and insure my vehicles but others don't. If you got in a accident it doesn't sound like you could have their car fixed let alone your own.

3. You can afford to have a CPL/CWP or what ever you call it but can't afford to register and insure your car. Sounds like you need a bicycle, sorry but OBAY THE LAWS THAT WE ALL HAVE TO FOLLOW.

Or better yet Pawn shops will give you enough for your gun that you can pay for insurance...

dadada

Really? My brother got hurt about ten years ago in a motorcycle crash while he didn't have medical insurance. No one is paying his bills. He is making payments to the hospital.

My wife had some expenses while visiting family that were not covered by our medical insurance. No one paid our bills. We made payments to the medical company that did the treatment.

Where does this idea come from that the uninsured are being paid for by everyone else? Honestly. I don't know. Unless they are just skipping town after giving a false name.

I work for the largest medical system in Pierce county. Trust me when I say, we loose MILLIONS every year to people that don't have any qualms in getting medical treatment and never paying a dime! Want to know why? We can't turn people away. We can go after them, but how much money do you think you can collect from a gang-banger that gets shot and dumped at one of our ER's? Try garnishing wages from some POS that's never held a job. Blood from a stone. I've got a mentally ill, alcoholic neighbor thats been to ER's more than 30 times in the last 16 months. He gets raging drunk, calls 911 threatening suiside and gets carted off in an ambulance. Sobers up in the ER, which may take a couple of days because of the volumne he drinks. Get a buck from him? Nope. All on our dime.
Guys that works at 7-11 and barely makes rent but has no insurance and has an appendix rupture. Can afford to make payments of $10 at most, on a $40,000 bill. It would cost more to process his payment than we would collect. Happens all day, every day. Those charges have to be paid by someone.

amlevin

Check out the recent news release from Swedish Hospital in Seattle. Over $20 million in medical charges written off because hospitals can't turn down anyone who comes in the door, insured or not. These "millions" will be recovered in the form of higher fees in the future which then become higher insurance premiums.

If you choose to go through life "naked" meaning uninsured in this context you will end up paying even higher costs because you won't get the discounts negotiated by the Insurance Companies.

As for just "leaving town", or giving a false name, probably a few of those but the biggest losses are from just plain noncollectable medical debt. They may be close to curing cancer but they'll never figure out how to get blood from a stone.

It's commendable that you, your wife, and brother are paying your debt to the medical facility. Unfortunately all too many just file a medical bankruptcy and essentially walk away leaving the bill to be spread around to all the others that pay.

Jeff Hayes

Check out the recent news release from Swedish Hospital in Seattle. Over $20 million in medical charges written off because hospitals can't turn down anyone who comes in the door, insured or not. These "millions" will be recovered in the form of higher fees in the future which then become higher insurance premiums.

If you choose to go through life "naked" meaning uninsured in this context you will end up paying even higher costs because you won't get the discounts negotiated by the Insurance Companies.

As for just "leaving town", or giving a false name, probably a few of those but the biggest losses are from just plain noncollectable medical debt. They may be close to curing cancer but they'll never figure out how to get blood from a stone.

It's commendable that you, your wife, and brother are paying your debt to the medical facility. Unfortunately all too many just file a medical bankruptcy and essentially walk away leaving the bill to be spread around to all the others that pay.

Keep in mind that in order to make the 20 million back assuming a 5% profit margin they need to do 400 million worth of medical care just to get back to even.

Aaron1124

Too many people throwing stones on here. Clean out your own closet before you focus on his. I am sure those of you casting stones, at some point, have broken the speed limit, not come to a complete stop while turning right on a red light or at a stop sign, or purposely didn't signal when changing lanes.

amlevin

Keep in mind that in order to make the 20 million back assuming a 5% profit margin they need to do 400 million worth of medical care just to get back to even.

Ahah! Someone else who understands how a business works.
smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif

Not like some who would say "but they can make it up in volume";)

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Too many people throwing stones on here. Clean out your own closet before you focus on his. I am sure those of you casting stones, at some point, have broken the speed limit, not come to a complete stop while turning right on a red light or at a stop sign, or purposely didn't signal when changing lanes.

Actually aaron, having been cited 9 times for speeding in the last 25 years...I have zero convictions.:shocker:

Metalhead47

That's because we carry insurance so that if any said actions cause harm to another at our fault, they other party will not be financially responsible.;)

Sparky508

Glasshouses and all.....................

Many years ago, I had my 1066 returned to me in a plastic bag, dissasembed, and mag emptied. If I remember right, it was a state patrol, in Orting. He tossed the bag full of parts into my window, told me it was my lucky day, and proceeded to burn off half his tires getting to somebody more deserving of his attentions or affections. :eek:

Have had some pretty strange encounters, but none more so than that.

DocWalker

Many years ago, I had my 1066 returned to me in a plastic bag, dissasembed, and mag emptied. If I remember right, it was a state patrol, in Orting. He tossed the bag full of parts into my window, told me it was my lucky day, and proceeded to burn off half his tires getting to somebody more deserving of his attentions or affections. :eek:

Have had some pretty strange encounters, but none more so than that.

See this is where I would have gone to the state patrol office and made a formal complaint, I woul have also contacted the govenors office with a formal complaint about the officer his treatment of priviate property, the citizen (me), and his burning out of the tires I as a taxpayer paid for. For me I attended the academy in Idaho and I would have gone straight there for my quest for justice. It actually sounds like the officer was afraid, he probably peeled out so he could get away thinking you would assemble your pistol and shoot him. He shouldn't be an officer as he will hurt someone someday.