• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got out of a $800+ ticket for carrying a 1911..

Jayd1981

He may have not written you a ticket, but sounds to me like he also violated your 4th amendment. I doubt expired tabs would be RAS to seize your firearm. Plus taking it apart and returning it in pieces??? That definately sounds excessive to me.

Jeff Hayes

He handed you your firing pin, out of a 1911, on the side of the road, in just a few minutes, really?

Last edited:

FMCDH

*scratches head*

Well...I guess you hear something new every day.

While his decision to let you off with a warning in what basically amounts to a series of victimless crimes (this time) is commendable, his other actions as regards to your firearm, are to say the least, inappropriate at best.

Which agency was this officer with?

Last edited:

amzbrady

I'm currently waiting for employment so I have not been able to get new tabs, new registration or insurance. So I only drive if I absolutely have to and its rare.

It wams my heart to know there is a reason I must carry additional "Uninsured Motorist" insurance. I thought it was only because of criminals who are not abiding by the law. I am so happy to be able to pay an additional fee so that if I get hit by an uninsured motorist, MY insurance will kick in and pay for 70% of my vehicles value and I get to pay an additional $500 out of pocket. That is so awesome.

Sorry mik but if it is not a Life or Death emergency, I would not think you would absolutely HAVE to drive at all.

Last edited:

Ruby

In your very first post you say you are waiting for employment. Do you think it's going to come knocking on your door?!? Maybe you are waiting to hear from someone that you had a job interview with? In the course of my entire life, I've never had anyone knock on my door and offer me a job.Is there a bus or public transit center close to where you live? Use that to look for work and get around for errands you must run. Let your friend find someone to help him who is legal to drive. The next time this happens, the LEO might not be so understanding. You could lose your license and end up in jail. In Washington state, driving without insurance is a $500.00 fine. I was rear-ended in 2009 by someone who didn't have insurance and that's what the LEO told him. He and his family vanished after that. My insurance company paid everything, including my medical, because I carried full coverage, which includes uninsured motors. My insurance company never was able to contact him or collect a dime. There is a reason why auto insurance is mandatory.My car died in February of this year. Leak in the head gasket, car 15 years old, iffy transmission, $2,000 to fix. I sold it to the junk man, got a bus pass and I walk and ride the bus. And I work 2 part time jobs.So, get off your backside and get moving. I'm 64 and if I can do it, surely to God you can. You are giving OC a bad name, carrying your gun like that and breaking the law, and knowing that you are breaking the law. Think! What are you going to do if you are involved in an accident while driving uninsured?!?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Ruby,

I suppose you approve of government mandated health insurance as well. I mean if you don't have health insurance someone else is going to have to pay to take care of you. Car insurance should be optional. Get it if you want it. If you don't you might have to pay the consequences later if you get in an accident but how often does that really happen. You are focusing on the wrong part of his story. The important part is how he was treated by the officer regarding his firearm.

Edit: Don't assume he's not actively looking for a job.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

He may have not written you a ticket, but sounds to me like he also violated your 4th amendment. I doubt expired tabs would be RAS to seize your firearm. Plus taking it apart and returning it in pieces??? That definately sounds excessive to me.

Yeah...but wasn't the OP driving his vehicle with expired tags?

Isn't that why he was stopped in the first place?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yeah...but wasn't the OP driving his vehicle with expired tags?

Isn't that why he was stopped in the first place?

Yes, but the real question is why was the gun taken by the officer in the first place? Why dismantled? None of the minor infractions of the OP posed any danger to the officer.

Last edited:

Ruby

Ruby, I suppose you approve of government mandated health insurance as well. I mean if you don't have health insurance someone else is going to have to pay to take care of you. Car insurance should be optional. Get it if you want it. If you don't you might have to pay the consequences later if you get in an accident but how often does that really happen. You are focusing on the wrong part of his story. The important part is how he was treated by the officer regarding his firearm. Edit: Don't assume he's not actively looking for a job.
You focus on the part that is important to you and I will focus on the part that is important to me. Amzbrady said something about his lack of insurance as well. And we already have mandated health care-it's called Medicare, which I am eligible for next year. I don't agree with auto insurance being optional. I have been rear-ended several times (I was not at fault) and I was very thankful for insurance, theirs and mine. Very few people have enough money to cover property damage, medical, etc. without having insurance. Then who suffers?!? The person who was hit, is who. I also agree with mandatory health insurance, but-not with the plan they passed. It needs to be administered fairly and evenly across the board, and that includes all government employees, including Congress and the president. If it's good enough for us, it's good enough for them. We are all paying for it anyway with higher costs for medical care for everyone. So is it fair to make those who CAN afford it pay more to include those who can't?!? We are going to have a national health care plan, like it or not. Health care should not depend on how much money a person makes; everyone needs it at some time. And I agree that everyone should contribute to something that is necessary and that they will use sooner or later. I do not like seeing someone who is OC breaking the law, unless it is in protest to that person's rights being violated. It reflects on all of us as a group that the public sees. The OP was focussed on the wrong thing; he thought it was great that the LEO was so nice as he was violating the OP's rights! Under the circumstances, I might have felt the same, but I wouldn't be driving around with expired tags and no insurance!

END_THE_FED

........I also agree with mandatory health insurance, but-not with the plan they passed. ...........We are going to have a national health care plan, like it or not. Health care should not depend on how much money a person makes; everyone needs it at some time.. And I agree that everyone should contribute to something that is necessary and that they will use sooner or later..........

Why shouldn't health care depend on how much money someone makes? It is a good and service just like any other. If you have more money you can afford better transportation, better food, housing, better entertainment, same goes for health care.

Food, shelter, and transportation, are all things that everyone needs and will use sooner or later. Should these things be provided by a mandatory national program as well? Should these things not depend on how much money someone makes?

Mainsail

It wams my heart to know there is a reason I must carry additional "Uninsured Motorist" insurance. I thought it was only because of criminals who are not abiding by the law. I am so happy to be able to pay an additional fee so that if I get hit by an uninsured motorist, MY insurance will kick in and pay for 70% of my vehicles value and I get to pay an additional $500 out of pocket. That is so awesome.

Sorry mik but if it is not a Life or Death emergency, I would not think you would absolutely HAVE to drive at all.

+1

Why someone would knowingly break the law while purporting to represent the OC community is beyond my comprehension.

DocWalker

1. This is why your mom always told you to wear clean underwear; just in case you are in an accident. Same goes for your sidearm, make sure it is clean just in case it gets inspected by a stranger.

2. I agree if your not following ALL the laws then don't OC/CC. It isn't fair that I have to register and insure my vehicles but others don't. If you got in a accident it doesn't sound like you could have their car fixed let alone your own.

3. You can afford to have a CPL/CWP or what ever you call it but can't afford to register and insure your car. Sounds like you need a bicycle, sorry but OBAY THE LAWS THAT WE ALL HAVE TO FOLLOW.