• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serbu Gun Giveaway

grylnsmn

Question: If I were to get my son (age: almost 8 months) a membership, and he were to win, would I be able to accept the rifle on his behalf until he is old enough to legally possess it unsupervised? (Strictly speaking, federal law has no minimum age to possess a firearm, only to buy from a dealer. According to Virginia law, children under 12 can possess a firearm under adult supervision.)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Question: If I were to get my son (age: almost 8 months) a membership, and he were to win, would I be able to accept the rifle on his behalf until he is old enough to legally possess it unsupervised? (Strictly speaking, federal law has no minimum age to possess a firearm, only to buy from a dealer. According to Virginia law, children under 12 can possess a firearm under adult supervision.)
Winner must be able to accept the transfer from the FFL.

grylnsmn

Winner must be able to accept the transfer from the FFL.

Not to nitpick (well, actually, yes to nitpick), but that's not what the rules say. Rule 3 says for eligibility that "Give Away is open to anyone who can legally possess the firearm", not that they have to be able to accept the transfer. As there's no minimum age to possess under Federal law, and State law has no minimum (when "accompanied by an adult" - see § 18.2-308.7), even a 8-month-old can "legally possess the firearm".

I see no good reason why it couldn't be transferred to a parent to be held in trust until the child (who can already legally possess it when "accompanied by an adult") can assume full legal ownership. :lol:

Hey, you can't blame me for trying, can you? ;)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Hey, you can't blame me for trying, can you? ;)

Hey, even if you only get one chance to win, it is still pretty good odds. If there are 6000 VCDL members by the time of the drawing that gives you a .016% chance of winning. To put that in perspective the odds of winning the VA lottery jackpot is .0000000057%. Cite.

I'll take those odds.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not interested in the 50 and would probably turn it down if I won, but it did remind me to renew our VCDL memberships. I can't find the form so I need to check with Philip and see what to do.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'm not interested in the 50 and would probably turn it down if I won, but it did remind me to renew our VCDL memberships. I can't find the form so I need to check with Philip and see what to do.

Do you do Paypal? If not, PM me your address and I'll send you some paper applications. I have stacks of them.

Marco

I'd personally turn it over to VCDL to auction/raffle off, as I have no use for it.

www.vcdl.org/static/renew.html

www.vcdl.org/app.html

VCDL Membership Application

Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. • P.O. Box 513, Newington, VA 22122 • 804-639-0600

_____ New _____ Renewal (Member # __________ )

________________________ _______ ___________
City State ZIP Code

1 VCDL membership $ 25.00
Donation to VCDL $
Donation to VCDL-PAC (Political Action Committee)

Virginia law requires that we collect the following information for donations to
VCDL-PAC of more than $100:

Total Enclosed:
$

____ Cash (Do not send cash through the mail.)

____ Check (Make checks payable to VCDL )

____ Charge:

____ American Express

____ MasterCard

____ Visa

Mail to:

VCDL Membership Processing Center
P.O. Box 5123
Arlington, VA 22205
Contributions, gifts, or membership dues are not deductible for Federal income tax purposes.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks!
Got it printed and will get it off tomorrow.

I have a 50 that I built during the AWB and it collects dust. I'd rather make 730 DDR cases out of the 50 brass....and, I hate (as in refuse) doing paperwork.

I'd personally turn it over to VCDL to auction/raffle off, as I have no use for it.

www.vcdl.org/static/renew.html

www.vcdl.org/app.html

VCDL Membership Application

Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. • P.O. Box 513, Newington, VA 22122 • 804-639-0600

_____ New _____ Renewal (Member # __________ )

________________________ _______ ___________
City State ZIP Code

1 VCDL membership $ 25.00
Donation to VCDL $
Donation to VCDL-PAC (Political Action Committee)

Virginia law requires that we collect the following information for donations to
VCDL-PAC of more than $100:

Total Enclosed:
$

____ Cash (Do not send cash through the mail.)

____ Check (Make checks payable to VCDL )

____ Charge:

____ American Express

____ MasterCard

____ Visa

Mail to:

VCDL Membership Processing Center
P.O. Box 5123
Arlington, VA 22205
Contributions, gifts, or membership dues are not deductible for Federal income tax purposes.

Baked on Grease

You do realize that well regulated militia members are expected to bring their own weapons if the need arises!

I wonder if it could be mounted on my car? ;-)

"Going armed to the terror of the public" ? Just picking on you, and yes I could devise a way to mount it.... Give me enough cash and I can make a system to load and aim it remotely from your vehicle, even a single shot, though that much much more dificult. Those zombies won't stand a chance.

Sent using tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You do realize that well regulated militia members are expected to bring their own weapons if the need arises!

I wonder if it could be mounted on my car? ;-)

Yep....that single shot would be a fearsome turret gun:lol:

45acpForMe

Yep....that single shot would be a fearsome turret gun:lol:

I was thinking something more like this:

50.jpg

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=41876

2a4all

Not to nitpick (well, actually, yes to nitpick), but that's not what the rules say. Rule 3 says for eligibility that "Give Away is open to anyone who can legally possess the firearm", not that they have to be able to accept the transfer. As there's no minimum age to possess under Federal law, and State law has no minimum (when "accompanied by an adult" - see § 18.2-308.7), even a 8-month-old can "legally possess the firearm".

I see no good reason why it couldn't be transferred to a parent to be held in trust until the child (who can already legally possess it when "accompanied by an adult") can assume full legal ownership. :lol:

Hey, you can't blame me for trying, can you? ;)
A raffle with a (large caliber) firearm as a prize that a child could legally win? How will the Brady's deal with this? And they think that the "Gun Show Loophole" is a problem? Have they never considered that the "The Big Gun Gap" will leave no child behind? This is madness!

Last edited: