• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court of Appeals gets one right

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Awesome! So is that open carry holster still going to be empty We-the-People?

We-the-People

http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/2011/09.28.11%20ous.html
Awesome! So is that open carry holster still going to be empty We-the-People?

Dern it I got beat to it. Here's the OFF alert as well http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/2011/09.28.11%20ous.html

I'll have to think about it Bigtoe. The University system isn't RCC....you KNOW they'll squabble and hem and haw (and this is my last quarter for my AS)....but SOU where I will be NEXT quarter is Oregon University system. The poor things.

I'll be contacting Kevin (at OFF) and discussing the "finer points" of the implications of the decision and making a determination. If I weren't going through my divorce (i.e. financially challenged) there wouldn't be a question in my mind. But as it is, on my own with no partner to back me up in pursuit of my activism it's a tougher question.

Dogbait

I just received the OFF Alert email and I am thrilled.

@We-The-People: Do consider carrying on campus. If you do, I will put on my holster up here at MHCC in support.

Teddybearfrmhell

http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/2011/09.28.11%20ous.html

Dern it I got beat to it. Here's the OFF alert as well http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/2011/09.28.11%20ous.html

I'll have to think about it Bigtoe. The University system isn't RCC....you KNOW they'll squabble and hem and haw (and this is my last quarter for my AS)....but SOU where I will be NEXT quarter is Oregon University system. The poor things.

I'll be contacting Kevin (at OFF) and discussing the "finer points" of the implications of the decision and making a determination. If I weren't going through my divorce (i.e. financially challenged) there wouldn't be a question in my mind. But as it is, on my own with no partner to back me up in pursuit of my activism it's a tougher question.

while rcc isnt part of the state university system it IS still a public school drawing funds from the state and will eventually be force to acknowledge that the same laws apply to them

Dogbait

Does this mean you can open carry on campus with or without a CCW?

With a Concealed Handgun License.
166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in
public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging
firearm at school.

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or
unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous
weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon
conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and
166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Does this mean you can open carry on campus with or without a CCW?

We've always been able to LEGALLY carry on campus with a CHL. The problem has been that the school policies all prohibit it and they take disciplinary action against students, trespass non students, and prohibit employees as part of their employment agreements.

This decision is a major win though I haven't gotten the nuances digested yet. I have a message in to Kevin at OFF to get his take on it and he will be on the Bill Meyer show in Medford (likely Larson soon as well) tomorrow morning.

Bigtoe....so if I OC a firearm, you'll OC a HOLSTER? Ummmm why just a holster?

Dogbait

so if I OC a firearm, you'll OC a HOLSTER? Ummmm why just a holster?

With a firearm in it of course. I usually don't OC with an empty holster, so for me, putting on a holster means it will have a firearm in it. :)

Last edited:

Earl Scott

I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be as I am wondering how this opinion effects dorms as they could be considered private residences and not public building. I would love to here what the legal eagles come up with.

Dogbait

I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be as I am wondering how this opinion effects dorms as they could be considered private residences and not public building. I would love to here what the legal eagles come up with.

I would think dorm rooms are similar to apartments. An individual room is a private residence and the hallways, lobbies, etc are a public place. IANAL so don't quote me on it. :)

161.015 General definitions. As used in chapter 743, Oregon Laws 1971, and ORS 166.635, unless the context requires otherwise:

(10) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation. [1971 c.743 §3; 1973 c.139 §1; 1979 c.656 §3; 1991 c.67 §33; 1993 c.625 §4; 1995 c.651 §5]

hermannr

Does OR already have (like WA) a court ruling that a holstered handgun, though visible, is not a threatening display, and therefore not illegal in and of itself?

Historyman1942

Already I am reading a lot of information that people think this only allows conceal carry on the campus haha. Just wait for those who OC to shoot down that rumor.

All for the right to CC or OC, or not carry at all. It's a right!

Dogbait

Response from Mt. Hood Community College about the ruling..

Thank you for conveying this information. We did in fact, receive word of this ruling from our legal counsel yesterday and we are communicating this update throughout the college leadership and the campus community. In the main, our regs & policies state that the college will follow the law regarding these matters. We are scanning all of our administrative rules, policies and codes now to identify what, if anything should be updated to that end. I don’t yet know which specific codes may need to be changed. But as you point out, it is important that everyone realize how interpretation of the law has changed and what this means for students, faculty and staff.

As I’m sure you can appreciate, there will always be folks who feel more comfortable in the presence of guns, while there will also always be folks who feel more comfortable in the absence of guns. We need to balance the interests and sensitivities of all MHCC campus users toward a safe and vibrant learning environment. We will do our best to make sure everyone is aware of their rights and responsibilities regarding licensed firearms on campus.

Best Regards,

Michelle

Executive Coordinator for Strategic Initiatives & Board Relations

Edit: podcast for the Bill Meyer show is available.

http://oregonedeals.com/podcast/?p=episode&name=2011-09-29_09-29-11-thursday_7am.mp3

Sent from my HTC EVO

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Response from Mt. Hood Community College about the ruling..

Thank you for conveying this information. We did in fact, receive word of this ruling from our legal counsel yesterday and we are communicating this update throughout the college leadership and the campus community. In the main, our regs & policies state that the college will follow the law regarding these matters. We are scanning all of our administrative rules, policies and codes now to identify what, if anything should be updated to that end. I don't yet know which specific codes may need to be changed. But as you point out, it is important that everyone realize how interpretation of the law has changed and what this means for students, faculty and staff.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, there will always be folks who feel more comfortable in the presence of guns, while there will also always be folks who feel more comfortable in the absence of guns. We need to balance the interests and sensitivities of all MHCC campus users toward a safe and vibrant learning environment. We will do our best to make sure everyone is aware of their rights and responsibilities regarding licensed firearms on campus.

Best Regards,

Michelle

Executive Coordinator for Strategic Initiatives & Board Relations

Poleeze! No more balancing or sensitivity. Learn and teach that their are only two ways to deal with people: By reason or by force and criminals are seldom (ever?) deterred by reason = feel good rules and /or laws.

Are any of your firearms licensed? Just checked the one that I am presently carrying and I see no license, not even a place for one. :uhoh:

We-the-People