• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

B.A.T.F.E. Rules on Medical Marijuana.

griffin

I posted the same thing here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...uana-amp-CPL&p=1618735&viewfull=1#post1618735

only five minutes before you. :p

+++++

I know a couple people that have a medical marihuana license and a CPL license. What if any kind of issues do you think that will have?
According to the BATFE, people with medical marijuana cards cannot purchase firearms or ammunition, and in fact cannot possess firearms or ammunition.

Here is the recent BATFE letter to FFLs.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2...all-ffls-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes.pdf

Here's the last paragraph (edited):

Therefore, any person who uses...marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user...and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition...As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question 11.e. on ATF Form 4473.

In fact, you do not technically even have to be a marijuana user. Just the fact you possess a medical marijuana card disqualifies you from possessing firearms and ammunition.

malignity

Interesting... cause people can own a card and not use marijuana at ALL.

So if you own a card and do not use at all whatsoever (say for example, a friend who is a caregiver pays for your card so he can grow more) then you can't own or possess?

If that's the case, how does one go about revoking their card?

WARCHILD

And it is being used.
A relative of mine was notified today that he has been denied his CPL app. because he has an MML card registered in Mich.:uhoh:

Also I have made it known to a couple of acquaintances that got their MML...after...they had got their CPL;
If they are caught in possession of drugs while armed...they're burned!

So would you rather defend your life or get a quick buzz?

WARCHILD

Interesting... cause people can own a card and not use marijuana at ALL.

So if you own a card and do not use at all whatsoever (say for example, a friend who is a caregiver pays for your card so he can grow more) then you can't own or possess?

If that's the case, how does one go about revoking their card?

Don't know if you can revoke it or not; or just not renew it next year. Either way you're still burned as being on record of having an MML.

ALL MML holders have put their name on a hit list for the rest of their life...JMO.

RenegadeMarine

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...uana-amp-CPL&p=1618735&viewfull=1#post1618735

+++++

According to the BATFE, people with medical marijuana cards cannot purchase firearms or ammunition, and in fact cannot possess firearms or ammunition.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2...all-ffls-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes.pdf

Therefore, any person who uses...marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user...and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition...As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question 11.e. on ATF Form 4473.

In fact, you do not technically even have to be a marijuana user. Just the fact you possess a medical marijuana card disqualifies you from possessing firearms and ammunition.

Do you have a cite for this?

NHCGRPR45

+++++

Yea, didn't see that I'll take down the thread if you want.

malignity

Same thing here.. looking for that as well. I know at least a handful of people who are not users and have never used, but have cards to help out caregivers who grow. Those cards were paid for by the caregiver, for the sole purpose of allowing the caregiver to grow more.

malignity

I think this spells it out here.

Therefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.

Just because someone has a card does not mean they use or are addicted to marijuana. If you test negative, clearly you're not a user, or at least a frequent user. Owning a card doesn't make you a user; just like owning a CPL doesn't mean you're carrying a gun.

Last edited:

griffin

Yea, didn't see that I'll take down the thread if you want.
No, leave this thread up. This is a good discussion.
thumbsup.gif

griffin

Yes. I have already provided it: the BATFE letter. Read it. It specifically states:

"Further, if you are aware that the potential transferee is in possession of a card authorizing the possession and use of marijuana under State law, then you have "reasonable cause to believe" that the person is an unlawful user of a controlled substance. As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question 11.e. on ATF From 4473."

griffin

Just a few of the other reports in the news:

“In fact, the policy goes so far as to say even being in possession of a medical cannabis card forfeits a citizen’s Second Amendment rights whether or not that person ever followed through and used cannabis for their condition.”

Chris Lindsey, a lawyer specializing in medical marijuana cases, wrote: “With a stroke of a pen, the Department of Justice has suspended the Second Amendment for those who use medical cannabis.”

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_2716ef0e-0749-57f5-8d75-9fe7131ce617.html

The MTCIA was shocked to receive a memo written by the Department of Justice addressed to individuals and companies who sell firearms. The memo states in no uncertain terms that according to the Department of Justice, it is illegal for people who are listed as medical marijuana patients to own a gun or ammo.

Thus, with a stroke of a pen, the Department of Justice has suspended the 2nd Amendment for those use medical cannabis. In fact, the right to bear arms is eliminated simply by being listed in the registry. Whether or not a person has ever been in possession of marijuana or impaired by its use while around a gun is completely irrelevant. If you are in the registry at all, you do not have the right to have a firearm for any reason. End of story.

http://www.mtcia.org/2011/09/mtcia-...ing-gun-rights-for-medical-cannabis-patients/

stainless1911

Banned
I had been thinking about getting a MM card, in an effort to protect myself from someone who has marijuana on them in my vehicle or home, and didnt tell me about it.

I guarantee, that at least 8 out of 10 of you, are acquaintances, friends with, or have family members of someone who uses pot, legally or otherwise. Its everywhere, all the time. Like CC, you dont see it, but its there.

Last edited:

fozzy71

Once again, safer to break the law, than to try to follow it.

Laws cannot protect freedom, they can only impede it.

Martin Luther King said:
One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

Last edited:

griffin

Same thing here.. looking for that as well.
I reiterated the cite to RenegadeMarine, but I would also refer you to the post WARCHILD made. This is already being used.

"A relative of mine was notified today that he has been denied his CPL app. because he has an MML card registered in Mich."

If you are on the MML registry, you are toast. I think these notifications are being made all over the US (where applicable) now.