• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huntin' fer Grizz' in the Granite Falls grocery store

skiingislife725

It's usually pretty quiet open carrying, but I got a good laugh today going into the IGA grocery store in Granite Falls. As I was just about to go through the sliding doors, I noticed a big old construction worker guy do a double-take on me. I could tell he was wanting to say something as he cocked his head to the side. And then he goes, "You scared of something? What are you afraid of?"

I laughed and as we both walked inside I said, "Afraid of what? What do I have to be afraid of? I'm the guy with a gun." Unfortunately I don't think the humor registered with him as he continued on his half-rant as he stormed off. "Why are you afraid of going into the grocery store? Why do you gotta bring that into a grocery store? You huntin' grizzly or something?" I just grabbed my cart and walked in kinda shaking my head.

Anyhow, I just figured it was kind of a humorous interaction I'd pass on...especially coming from Granite Falls (as opposed to Bellingham where I lived up until a month ago). I thought it was kind of funny that a big tough guy with probably 100lbs on me was getting in such a tizzy over someone walking around with a certain tool on his belt. I'd understand more if I had it in my hand or something but maybe that's just me. The only other guy to go off like that in the two years I've been OCing was a guy from Connecticut.....but at least he could eventually hold a conversation and talk like an adult and not storm off.

On the flip side, when I was in a gas station in Granite Falls the other day, I was told by the cashier that I was the second unicorn to come in that day! I thought that was cool to hear.

Last edited:

Hammer

It's funny, I have more over-the-top reactions in rural areas than in urban areas. It may be because in a rural setting someone feels safer saying something than in an urban setting, but I certainly wouldn't offer that as any kind of fact.
Once I was hunting near Concrete. It was muzzlelaoder season, and at the time you could only carry a cap & ball pistol if muzzleloader hunting. So I had my Ruger Old Army. I walked into the grocery store in town just as an elderly lady came out with the bag boy pushing her cart of groceries. She saw the ROA and shouted "He's got a gun!" The bag boy just rolled his eyes....
I thought it was funny. She overreacted "hoplophobically"
Most times it's pretty simple exchanges, but now and then there's someone who won't/can't be reasoned with.

amzbrady

I love that reply. I have been waiting for chance to use it myself. "What are you afraid of"? "I have a gun, I'm not afraid of anything but our government".

I just dont understand the thought process of some people. They ask "why do you need a gun in a store" I would hope I dont ever need a gun anywhere, but I dont put in on for some places and take it off for others. I wear it all day. Do some people really think we only strap on a gun for one specific place?

You should have said "I didnt know grizzley were a problem here, thanks for letting me know, so I will start carrying my BIG gun."

1911er

Grizzly hunting

You should have said "I didn't know grizzly were a problem here, thanks for letting me know, so I will start carrying my BIG gun."[/QUOTE]

Great line Amzbrady I will have to remember that for out here in KITSAP Co.

sudden valley gunner

skiingislife725

SVG, the married life is good so far. Although we lived together for the two years prior to that so not much has changed. We did move down here to Lake Stevens though because Kristy was tired of commuting an hour each way to work. It's ok down here because we're out a ways (kind of like Sudden Valley)...but it's still not the same as the 'Ham. Will have to come up there one of these days for the Starbucks meet.

Metalhead47

I love that reply. I have been waiting for chance to use it myself. "What are you afraid of"? "I have a gun, I'm not afraid of anything but our government".

I just dont understand the thought process of some people. They ask "why do you need a gun in a store" I would hope I dont ever need a gun anywhere, but I dont put in on for some places and take it off for others. I wear it all day. Do some people really think we only strap on a gun for one specific place?

You should have said "I didnt know grizzley were a problem here, thanks for letting me know, so I will start carrying my BIG gun."

:rolleyes:

If I knew WHEN and WHERE I would need my gun, then I WOULDN'T need a gun, because I could simply be somewhere else at that time.

James Wesley said:
It is one of the great ironies of our modern 'civilized' era that in most of the places where you don't feel the need to carry a firearm for self defense you can legally do so if you choose. But in most of places where you do indeed justifiably feel the immediate need to carry a gun, they are banned.

sudden valley gunner

SVG, the married life is good so far. Although we lived together for the two years prior to that so not much has changed. We did move down here to Lake Stevens though because Kristy was tired of commuting an hour each way to work. It's ok down here because we're out a ways (kind of like Sudden Valley)...but it's still not the same as the 'Ham. Will have to come up there one of these days for the Starbucks meet.

Cool, glad to hear it hope to see ya soon.