• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mt Pisgah National Park

ArmySoldier22

Hey everybody,

Late fall/early winter I'm going to be hiking/camping around Mt Pisgah, where you can camp anywhere you want as long as you clean up after yourself. I know that carry is allowed in national parks, both open and concealed from what I've read. But I also know that it's dependent on state laws as well. So after the discussions in the "Question about Parks" thread on shady NC laws and statues, I'm wondering if there are any laws in NC restricting any types of carry into national parks.

David

Last edited:

Sahib0120

First off IANAL but as far as I know there is no NC State law restricting carry into National Parks. NC only prohibits carry into State Parks, although that will change for CHP holders come Dec 1st who will be able to carry concealed in State Parks if they have their permit.

Last edited:

REDFIVE48

I believe you will run into issues with it being considered NC Game Land and the regulations on carry when hunting is not in season (and I have no idea when hunting season is). Here is a link to the Game Land maps:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/H_Game_Land_Maps.htm

Have a look there and see if you will have an issue.
Here is a link to Game Land FAQ and there is a section there talking about no weapons larger than .22 with barrel shorter than 7.5 inches.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2011_12/documents/2011-12_GameLands.pdf

Enjoy your trip

chiefjason

First, there is no state or national park at Mt Pisgah. Unless you are on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Carry is fine in National parks in NC. I have CC'd and OC'd in national parks, and encountered rangers while OC'ing with no issue. The problem you will have is that area is likely Gamelands. Depending on the season that is in, there may be some restrictions on caliber. Do you have dates yet? I could take a look at the hunting season for you.

brutus1776

for what its worth, i've heard second hand from some folks that a few rangers they encountered consider the gamelands firearms carry restrictions to be null and void as far as they are concerned, citing simple logic. in most of these places you can possess a firearm for self defense at your camp site. and since most of these areas are backcountry camp areas, they reason if you can have the firearm in your camp, you have to be able to get it there.

not saying this is in total agreement with the .22 caliber restriction, or that it will stand up in court, just that some rangers understand life and wont harass you. now if we could get regular LE to remember their oath and stop enforcing unconstitutional or silly gun laws, we'd be much freer.

chiefjason

Yeah, I have heard similar. Problem is, there are some out there that WILL write the ticket. And a buddy of mine knows one that thinks he can confiscate it too. This needs to go away.

And as far as CC, you have until Oct 3rd to tell the NCWRC that you want CC on gamelands year round. It's H8, go comment here. There is a section for written comments too. I suggest you include a written comment about our Constitutional right to OC as well.

https://ncpaws.org/PAWS/WRC/PublicComments/PublicEntry/PublicComments.aspx

This is the comment I left them.

The NCWRC needs to also consider the problems with allowing the privilege of CC but not allowing the constitutional right of open carry without a permit. If the commission wishes to align itself with state law, then it should allow open carry for persons who can lawfully possess a handgun. This would align the NCWRC with case law from the NC Supreme Court in State v LR Speller, State v Kerner, and State v Huntley. Openly carrying a firearm is a constitutionally protected right of the citizens of NC. The NCWRC should not stand in the way of exercising this right.

ArmySoldier22

Sorry for the late reply, I've been at the Fall Rally Bike Week down at Myrtle Beach "where I couldn't carry". As far as saying My Pisgah, I was just using that as a reference point, because the area I'm talking about is very close to there. However, I didn't realize that it wasn't part of the national park, because a lot of people refer to it as such. Glad you said something about that. I've never actually been up there yet though. As far as dates, I haven't decided for sure yet, but most likely it'll be between the end of this month and mid November. Now that I'm back i'll have to start getting into the details a little more.

I appreciate the time you all took to reply

David

spiderjohn

Sorry for the late reply, I've been at the Fall Rally Bike Week down at Myrtle Beach "where I couldn't carry". As far as saying My Pisgah, I was just using that as a reference point, because the area I'm talking about is very close to there. However, I didn't realize that it wasn't part of the national park, because a lot of people refer to it as such. Glad you said something about that. I've never actually been up there yet though. As far as dates, I haven't decided for sure yet, but most likely it'll be between the end of this month and mid November. Now that I'm back i'll have to start getting into the details a little more.

I appreciate the time you all took to reply

David

It's a beautiful area up here...wasn't sure if you meant pisgah national forest or mount pisgah. Pisgah national forest is a huge area. If you are going camping late fall be prepared for cold weather. I think we are in for another punishingly could winter. lows in the 30s tonight. I'll be glad to help with any info if I can. I don't think leaves are going to be great this year...they seem to be just falling off the trees. I just got done cleaning up the gutters and yard. And no matter what people say, Asheville is a really cool city to visit. Great restaurants, breweries (if you like good beer), and things to do. Yes it is rather liberal (as am I but turning more conservative on some issues as I age) but there are really all kinds of people. I think it is much safer than Charlotte or Raleigh area. Enjoy your trip!

ArmySoldier22

It's a beautiful area up here...wasn't sure if you meant pisgah national forest or mount pisgah. Pisgah national forest is a huge area. If you are going camping late fall be prepared for cold weather. I think we are in for another punishingly could winter. lows in the 30s tonight. I'll be glad to help with any info if I can. I don't think leaves are going to be great this year...they seem to be just falling off the trees. I just got done cleaning up the gutters and yard. And no matter what people say, Asheville is a really cool city to visit. Great restaurants, breweries (if you like good beer), and things to do. Yes it is rather liberal (as am I but turning more conservative on some issues as I age) but there are really all kinds of people. I think it is much safer than Charlotte or Raleigh area. Enjoy your trip!

I love winter camping. Real camping, not those "primitive" sites at campgrounds lol. I was planning on spending 3-4 days out there. Thanks for the info

chiefjason

Looking at this email I received a while back, it looks like you would be good to go. There are several hunting seasons in now, and more coming later in the fall. All of which allow for firearms larger than .22 to be possessed. Feel free to cut, paste, and print this email. For some reason I though they had an exemption for deer archery and muzzleloader season. But it looks like the only exception is turkey season in the spring. In reality, this is just on big mess as far as laws go.

Good Morning,

Thank you for the email. I have spoken with our Rules Biologist regarding your question. You are not the first to request information or a clear understanding. Please see below the explanation that was given. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

Weapons on Game Lands

It is unlawful to possess a firearm or bow and arrow on a game land at any time except:
1. During the open hunting seasons or hunting days for game birds (which are waterfowl, doves, woodcock; snipe, rails, gallinules, moorhens, coots, grouse, pheasant, quail and turkey) or game animals (which are deer, bear, rabbits, squirrels, wild boar, bobcats, opossum and raccoon) other than fox;
2. Unless the device is cased or not immediately available for use;
3. When possessed and used by persons participating in field trials on field trial areas;
4. When possessed and used on target shooting areas designated by the landowner;
5. When possessed in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property

However, .22 caliber pistols with barrels not greater than seven and one-half inches in length and shooting only short, long, or long rifle ammunition may be carried as side arms on game lands at any time other than by hunters during the special bow and arrow and muzzle‑loading firearms deer hunting seasons and by individuals training dogs during closed season without field trial authorization.

Furthermore, only shotguns with any size shot and bow and arrow may be possessed during the big game season for turkey.

Previously, you were limited to a shotgun shell no larger than no. 4 and rifle or pistol no larger than .22 rimfire when the big game seasons were closed. By adopting H29, the Commission is allowing hunters to possess more powerful weapons during small game and migratory bird seasons, in addition to their possession during big game seasons, with the exception of turkey season (no handguns and no rifles).

Visit www.ncwildlife.org
to subscribe to Wildlife Email Updates.

Best Regards,
Amy Willis
NC Wildlife Resources Commission
Division of Wildlife Management

FTG-05

Excellent timing on this thread: My wife and I will doing the BRP in a couple weeks. Our first stop will be the Mt. Pisgah campground and the excellent lodge that right across the road.

I plan to bring and carry my S&W 329PD on my right hip while out and about.

Thanks,