• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nov 1, Open carry in car?

theoicarry

I oc when appropriate. With all of this information here, where do most of you put your gun in your vehicle? And then how do you load and holster one in the same. I am just so curious.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I oc when appropriate. With all of this information here, where do most of you put your gun in your vehicle? And then how do you load and holster one in the same. I am just so curious.

Unloaded, encased either on the passenger seat, back seat or trunk. I usually stand by whatever portal to the vehicle has the case and pull the firearm from the case, slide the magazine in and holster up.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Transport My Firearm As Close To Me As Possible

Unloaded, slide locked back, in the case, case latched completely (of course) with four loaded magazines. When I arrive at next carry destination I pull case out of vehicle, open case, put magazine in, close slide and install firearm into my Blackhawk retention holster. Keep in mind that until 1NOV2011 the handgun case cannot be IN or ON the vehicle so I have to either hold it or place it on the ground to do "The Dance". Very, very stupid and dangerous that we have to do "The Dance" every single time.

On a side note: If you are using a semi auto like many of us keep in mind that eventually the round(s) that are being cycled in and out of the chamber will have their bullet(s) pushed back a bit into the cartridge case making the firing of that cartridge hazardous to your health. Keep an eye on those rounds or don't chamber a round to avoid the pushed in bullet issue. Any rounds that have the bullet pushed in I take apart, reload and crimp again for the correct overall length and then put them in a box for the next time I am at the range.

littlewolf

Just a tip

A little tip that works for me, I ride the slide forward when loading. This works well with no cocking issues on my 1911 or XD 40 and have no compression problems. Also as of 25 July the Disorderly conduct laws changed,you cannot be charged with DC or ANY OTHER VIOLATION with out malicious intent for going armed, loading or unloading or posession and carring a firearm.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I must add. ALLOY is junk IMO, it means nothing. The guy got off on multiple attempted murder charges and they were trying to get anything to stick to this guy so he would not go totally free and clear for his actions.

what does the word "Hidden" mean? I see it differently than "not immediatly visible from outside of the vehicle"
When I OC, 99% of the people do not notice that IO am wearing a firearm, yet it is not "HIDDEN"

Since WI modeled this law after the law in FL, I would have expected it to be very clear for vehicle carry as FL is.

In FL, a Loaded handgun can be kept in the vehicle as long as it is not "immediately accessible", so in other words, it must be kept somewhat concealed by being in an enclosure such as a glove compartment, center console, or any other means that requires the occupant of the vehicle to open a container or remove a hammer strap on a holster to be able to handle and fire the gun. FL LAW does not allow a handgun to be open and out of a container on the dashboard. The law basically requires 2 steps be completed before the gun can be fired, the container that holds the gun must first be opened, then the gun grasped. You meet those 2 conditions, and you are legal.
I plan on carrying mine in a hard-sided holster between the seat and the center console instead of on my person while traveling (pre-permit)

Anybody who is legal to own and possess a handgun, can carry that loaded handgun (not on their person) in their mode of transportation as long as it is not immediately available for use. You do not need to be a FL resident or possess permits from other states to exercise this right in FL

To be totally honest, I carry concealed at my place of business, and I often forget that I still have it concealed and drive home the same way. This has only recently been an issue since I had received some threats against myself and my business. So the way I see it, my need to conceal my firearm outweighs the states current prohibition of the practice. I am not going to do the unload & case dance outside of my vehicle in a busy downtown tourist area.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Hi Nut,
I haven't seen you on for a while where have you been????

Anyway, I skimmed the thread and I don't think anyone brought up Alloy. It's State v. Walls, in the annotations of 941.23 that was being cited. Although this caselaw currently applies, I believe it could be overturned for two reasons: 1. Legislative intent of our new law. 2. It flies in the face of the "plain sight doctrine". If an illegal item isn't subject to 4th amendment protection when it's in "plain sight" (on the seat of your car for example) A firearm that is in the same place is not concealed.

Oh, and +1 for jury nullification. :) Anyone have a sympathetic legislator that would have the guts to sponsor a law that required judges in WI to include the right of nullification in jury instructions?

Interceptor_Knight

2. It flies in the face of the "plain sight doctrine". If an illegal item isn't subject to 4th amendment protection when it's in "plain sight" (on the seat of your car for example) A firearm that is in the same place is not concealed.

A "concealed" handgun on the seat of your car isn't subject to 4th Amendment protection either. There is no law against concealing a controlled substance. If a LEO can see it simply by shining a flashlight in your window and illuminating your car seat you are busted. If it takes illuminating your interior in order to see a handgun on your car seat it is "hidden" for the purposes of 941.23 since it can not be seen by someone simply in the immediate vicinity and outside of your car.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
A "concealed" handgun on the seat of your car isn't subject to 4th Amendment protection either. There is no law against concealing a controlled substance. If a LEO can see it simply by shining a flashlight in your window and illuminating your car seat you are busted. If it takes illuminating your interior in order to see a handgun on your car seat it is "hidden" for the purposes of 941.23 since it can not be seen by someone simply in the immediate vicinity and outside of your car.

Of course it's not subject to 4A protection. My point is that I don't believe something that is considered "in plain view" can be considered "concealed" at the same time. I'm using 4A jurisprudence against the findings in State v. Walls. Once again, I'm posting about how the current case law could be challenged, not that it doesn't have current legal effect.

Last edited:

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Common sense has been thrown out with the bath water, What the heII is the difference between holstering up getting into your vehicle and driving to your destination ( Remember in doing this the intent is not to conceal but a continuance of open carrying without un necessary handling of firearm) VS driving to your destination uncasing your firearm inserting the mag holstering up and getting out of your vehicle.
Either way the firearm Is hidden from ordinary view from outside the vehicle and I'm sure as heII not going to exit the vehicle with firearm in hand.

By the way, I don't unholster and lay the firearm on the table when dining out.

Motofixxer

Oh, and +1 for jury nullification. :) Anyone have a sympathetic legislator that would have the guts to sponsor a law that required judges in WI to include the right of nullification in jury instructions?

Or maybe some info handouts in front of the courthouses to educate people. Maybe get some media attention. Get some education out there.