Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 122

Thread: Teacher punishes student for saying "bless you"

  1. #1
    Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    224

    Teacher punishes student for saying "bless you"

    Teacher takes off 25 points for saying "bless you" when another student sneezed in class.

    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ate&id=8372745

  2. #2
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS taken to the height of stupidity.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    This is why school systems get sued along with the stupid teachers who sometimes inhabit them.

    Tell the teacher to put the points back, and discipline the teacher, or it means you condone the behavior.

    There is a child who will have money for a college education or a very nice car (presuming any are made when they are old enough to buy a car).

    And the saddest part is that they taxpayers are going to be funding it, instead of the teacher and school administrators.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Wow...ridiculous! I think the person sneezing is more of a class disruption than the person saying bless you. He should have taken points off both of them....just kidding.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    16
    To me saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is almost a polite/respect thing. I say bless you or god bless you, but i won't take offense to another form of the same thing. (I think spanish speaking countries say "salud") I work with several people from mexico, they say salud, at least thats what i think they say, and i say bless you. no childish hissy fits required.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Get thee away evil spirits of the body! Social memes live on.

    Our theater teacher got all pissy about that, too. I remember her going on a yelling spree once because of it.

    I understand, somewhat, as it is a dumb meme.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  7. #7
    Regular Member Haz.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I come from a land downunder.
    Posts
    1,227
    What would the teacher have done if the student said; "Curse you!" Cheers, Haz.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

    My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Café, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    160
    Just wait & watch. This is where you are going to hear about someone getting in trouble in school for saying "Merry Christmas." I still havn't met "that" person that throws a fit, but I can't wait.

    Me: "Merry Christmas."
    Hippy: "Sir, It's Happy Holidays."
    Me: "No, I think you didn't hear me. I said 'Merry *&^%$& Christmas, mutha' (*&^%"

    Why is it in America you can S*&t all over Jesus but DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING bad about Muhumad, or the Hebrews. Not that I would but just watch Family Guy or South Park and I rest my case.

  9. #9
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    Look, I'm sure there was a rule of ZERO TALKING during the test... saying bless you is talking... Calm down.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    lol. I had the opposite treatment. If I DIDN'T say, "God bless you", I was in trouble, not much bit still some. That was a few years ago now..
    Last edited by Daylen; 09-29-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Haz.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I come from a land downunder.
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Brion View Post
    Just wait & watch. This is where you are going to hear about someone getting in trouble in school for saying "Merry Christmas." I still havn't met "that" person that throws a fit, but I can't wait.

    Me: "Merry Christmas."
    Hippy: "Sir, It's Happy Holidays."
    Me: "No, I think you didn't hear me. I said 'Merry *&^%$& Christmas, mutha' (*&^%"

    Why is it in America you can S*&t all over Jesus but DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING bad about Muhumad, or the Hebrews. Not that I would but just watch Family Guy or South Park and I rest my case.
    Believe it or not. In Sydney not that long ago, a large group of ethnic's had their leaders tell us via the news papers and talk back radio that they wanted to have christmas carols and the playing of christmas music being played in shopping center Malls BANNED because, wait for it? They were offended by them!! Yes,they left their shi#t hole country because they were oppressed and scared and all that B.S and then come over to Australia and want to dictate to us what we can and cannot do! Well they got a rude shock when the majority stood up and gave them a hammering. Dont hear much from them now? Cheers, Haz.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

    My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Café, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    596
    May God bless that man with a foot up his @#$!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kick20butt20ass20swift2uv4.gif 
Views:	53 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	7013

  13. #13
    Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    451
    This teacher is a moron. Saying "bless you" doesn't interupt a class anymore than saying "Gesundheit". Another example of teachers bringing their personal hangups into the classroom.

    Once upon a time they actually used to teach good manners in school. Saying 'please' and 'thank you' 'excuse me' and 'bless you'. Then people wonder why kids these days are a bunch of slouchy, foul mouthed little s&^% with their pants down around their knees and bad manners.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

  14. #14
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz. View Post
    Believe it or not. In Sydney not that long ago, a large group of ethnic's had their leaders tell us via the news papers and talk back radio that they wanted to have christmas carols and the playing of christmas music being played in shopping center Malls BANNED because, wait for it? They were offended by them!! Yes,they left their shi#t hole country because they were oppressed and scared and all that B.S and then come over to Australia and want to dictate to us what we can and cannot do! Well they got a rude shock when the majority stood up and gave them a hammering. Dont hear much from them now? Cheers, Haz.
    We have things nearly as ridiculous as that here in the U.S. but the really appalling thing is it is promoted and foisted by Americans! Somehow, these people have gotten it in their heads over the past several generations that our First Amendment in the Bill of Rights prohibits schools and firehouses and city halls and a host of other public places from anything religious. They found something in that Amendment which isn't in there.

    Succumbing to the lowest common denominator never leads to harmony.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    We have things nearly as ridiculous as that here in the U.S. but the really appalling thing is it is promoted and foisted by Americans! Somehow, these people have gotten it in their heads over the past several generations that our First Amendment in the Bill of Rights prohibits schools and firehouses and city halls and a host of other public places from anything religious. They found something in that Amendment which isn't in there.

    Succumbing to the lowest common denominator never leads to harmony.
    It's not "anything religious" it's "one religious practice over another". Essentially, it's an all or nothing thing. You let everyone who wants to do something religious do so, or you don't let anyone, but you don't promote one group more than another.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    It's not "anything religious" it's "one religious practice over another". Essentially, it's an all or nothing thing. You let everyone who wants to do something religious do so, or you don't let anyone, but you don't promote one group more than another.
    Its a hands off amendment. If it allows for schools to not let anyone do something religious it would infringe upon the basic rights of freedom of religion and freedom of speech. As much as some other atheists would like it the 1st amendment protections can not stop religious practice in a public place.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  17. #17
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    795
    I've always thought saying bless you after a sneeze was ridiculous. But then again I'm one of those people that always sneezes at least five times in a row, so it gets old.

    Why don't we say anything after someone coughs? We cough and sneeze for similar purposes, so why not have a saying for each?

    From taking German, I know that gesundheit roughly translates to "have good health." From taking French I know "a tes souhaits" is roughly "make a wish"

    I think they're all ridiculous, but interchange the three in practice so as not to seem rude to others (when really I'd just like to kill a superstition that nobody understands). But docking points for doing it? I think that's crossing a line. I don't care if they were taking a test. The sneeze is the disruptive part of class-that damage has been done.
    Last edited by SovereignAxe; 10-01-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  18. #18
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    Why don't we say anything after someone coughs? We cough and sneeze for similar purposes, so why not have a saying for each?
    I do, and it's usually "Cover your mouth!"

    As for people who sneeze 5 times in a row, I either wait till they stop, or say it on the first one and that's it. My carrier restricts the number of blessings I can give in a day.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    the teacher said it was nothing against religion.

    i've seen first hand when I was in school students purposefully coughing and sneezing obnoxiously in class and the rest doing the whole "BLESS YOU!!!!" obnoxiously to interrupt the teacher. just like when we hear about OC reports, we don't know the whole story here.

    For all we know the kids were being ****** bags and one kid obnoxiously said GOD BLESS YOU to an obnoxious fake sneeze and pushed the teacher of the line. it happens. I've seen it.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Its a hands off amendment. If it allows for schools to not let anyone do something religious it would infringe upon the basic rights of freedom of religion and freedom of speech. As much as some other atheists would like it the 1st amendment protections can not stop religious practice in a public place.
    The issue is when people like the this dbag put up the 10 commandments in their court, refuse the order to remove them, and then play the victim card after. Private practice of religion in public is fine. Public endorsement of a specific religion is not.
    Last edited by Tawnos; 10-02-2011 at 02:08 AM.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  21. #21
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    This teacher is a moron. Saying "bless you" doesn't interupt a class anymore than saying "Gesundheit". Another example of teachers bringing their personal hangups into the classroom.

    Once upon a time they actually used to teach good manners in school. Saying 'please' and 'thank you' 'excuse me' and 'bless you'. Then people wonder why kids these days are a bunch of slouchy, foul mouthed little s&^% with their pants down around their knees and bad manners.
    Very well said!

    And...I believe you're right on target in your second declaration.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    "When you sneeze in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, 'God bless you' for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, I said, what you're doing doesn't really make any sense anymore," said teacher Steve Cuckovich.

    Mr. Cockroach, what you're doing doesn't make any sense at all. Punishing a student for rendering a common and polite response to a sneeze? Please! Grow a brain! Tell you what - visit with me for a week and every time you sneeze I'll whack you with a hickory switch. If you cry out, I'll whack you again. We'll see how long you hold on to your very warped principles.

    On a more serious note, the school board should mandate HE say "bless you" every time a student sneezes, with the students turning him in if he doesn't. If Cockroach doesn't like it, he can just run along and play.

    Elsewhere.


    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    the teacher said it was nothing against religion.
    That's hardly reassuring when the teacher was being a peon.

    ...we don't know the whole story here.

    For all we know the kids were being ****** bags...
    There's absolutely nothing to indicate any of what you say is true. There's a lot in the news story, short as it is, to indicate what happened is precisely what's printed on.

    Sheer conjecture does not add anything, but it does obfuscate the issue. Put simply, it's not helping.
    Last edited by since9; 10-02-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  23. #23
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Mr. Cockroach, what you're doing doesn't make any sense at all. Punishing a student for rendering a common and polite response to a sneeze? Please! Grow a brain! Tell you what - visit with me for a week and every time you sneeze I'll whack you with a hickory switch. If you cry out, I'll whack you again. We'll see how long you hold on to your very warped principles.
    Yep, yep, yep.

    It's called being polite, genteel.... it's what folks do.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 10-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Yep, yep, yep.

    It's called being polite, genteel.... it's what folks do.
    Well, it's somewhat ironic that I was hardly being polite with the change of his name...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    This teacher is a moron. Saying "bless you" doesn't interupt a class anymore than saying "Gesundheit". Another example of teachers bringing their personal hangups into the classroom.

    Once upon a time they actually used to teach good manners in school. Saying 'please' and 'thank you' 'excuse me' and 'bless you'. Then people wonder why kids these days are a bunch of slouchy, foul mouthed little s&^% with their pants down around their knees and bad manners.
    +1

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •