Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beacon Falls pistol permit requirements

Beacon Falls pistol permit requirements

Hello all. This is my first post after reading here for a while now. I'm putting in my paperwork for my pistol permit and wanted to check and see if I had to submit all the things their asking for.
    Everything they are asking for seems normal except 2. They are asking for 3 letters of reference and a current photo of me. Do I have to give these things to them or could I leave them out?

I would leave them out. If they try to refuse your permit, appeal to the BFPE.

Of course that is just me...

I have no problem with leaving those things out so long as I can and still get my permit. I just dont want to leave something out that will cause me to not get my permit.

Review this document and print a copy to bring to the PD with you. http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/lib/bfpe/bfpedeclrule.pdf

Well, since the PD has the ultimate 'suitability' determination, they could technically deny you for just about any silly reason, but that is what the BFPE is for.

Not providing the info could cause you a denial, which you could immediately appeal (and probably win).

The choice is yours. Personally, I prefer that the PDs follow the state laws.

They also asked for a recent photograph of me. Is that normal or required?

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyburnout View Post
    They also asked for a recent photograph of me. Is that normal or required?
    Neither. The only photograph needed is the one they will take at DPS when you pick up your permit.

.... They are asking for 3 letters of reference and a current photo of me. Do I have to give these things to them or could I leave them out?
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...e-towns-needed
    You might want to help KIX out with a copy of the request.

I'll email him a copy once I get my scanner up and running.

Thanx for thinking of my study guys.

Helped a few people out this weekend, so it does help some navigating the myriad of fiefdoms we have.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Thumbs up

my old scanner didnt want to work so it got tossed. Bought a new scanner and the stupid thing didnt come with a USB cable . So I should be able to email the form from the town to you by tonight at the latest.

Ok, I submitted my paperwork with no refrences and with no photo. They didn't really question me and answered all of my questions respectfully and professionally. I would say so far it was a good experience.

Thank you.

Please let me know how the process works out for you without the extra material.

Would be nice to see them say "OK" and still grant your temporary permit.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

here is the BF "requirements" sheet
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanx!

Will add this to the next update - gonna be a big one this time.

Jonathan

Final Result....

I got a call from my First Selectman today (First Selectman in my town is considered cheif of police) and went to town hall to get my temp permit. I submitted only what was required by the state and while it may have taken 7 weeks for me to recieve an answer that answer was yes. I'll be heading to Bridgeport tomorrow to get my hard copy. Thanks for all the answers and help guys and gals.

Glad it worked out for ya and you didn't give in to the fiefdom's silly demands.

Jonathan

Troop G is closed! Hope you didn't take the ride. "NOTICE: TROOP C, D, E, and L PERMIT OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED AS OF 10/1/11"

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a...94510&dpsNav=|

I don't think this applies to background checks. No longer making rounds for permit renewals, new permits, etc.

This is a background check like many required for work and such. One of the perks of the state keeping background checks a separate process. Yeah, we have to pay for it, but it is considered a service not necessarily tied to a permit.

Gotta have someone try it and see what happens.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by ctfireman View Post
    Troop G is closed! Hope you didn't take the ride. "NOTICE: TROOP C, D, E, and L PERMIT OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED AS OF 10/1/11"

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a...94510&dpsNav=|
    Troop G is not closed. They are open on weds-friday for permits. I called them this morning and is also says nothing about Troop G in the link .
    Since they were closed today I went to DPS in Middletown and got my permit in about 20 mins. Painless really.

Side note. Middletown accepts cash and personal checks as well as bank and certified so that is nice. Also I could have sworn it said on my paperwork to make the check out to DPS but once I got to DPS they had signs saying make checks payable to treasurer of the state of connecticut.

Also I could have sworn it said on my paperwork to make the check out to DPS but once I got to DPS they had signs saying make checks payable to treasurer of the state of connecticut.
    I believe it used to be DPS, but they might have had some changes in the recent reorganizations the state did.

It is spelled out on their site and on the 769-c form however.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/specia.../dps-769-c.pdf

I very well could be wrong. Dont really remember. I've been wrong before and I'm sure it'll happen again lol.

I very well could be wrong. Dont really remember. I've been wrong before and I'm sure it'll happen again lol.
    No, I think you are right and it changed.

At least it is documented though.

Just read the application pasted by the OP. there were two extralegal requirements that the OP didn't recognize as such

1) form must be notarized
    2) copy of birth certificate
    MCS Precision - Training, Sales, Transfers, Estate Purchases

07 FFL
    NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    Just read the application pasted by the OP. there were two extralegal requirements that the OP didn't recognize as such

1) form must be notarized
    2) copy of birth certificate
    The state application does have a notary signature portion, and it requests 'proof of citizenship'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast