• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beacon Falls pistol permit requirements

smokeyburnout

Hello all. This is my first post after reading here for a while now. I'm putting in my paperwork for my pistol permit and wanted to check and see if I had to submit all the things their asking for.
Everything they are asking for seems normal except 2. They are asking for 3 letters of reference and a current photo of me. Do I have to give these things to them or could I leave them out?

smokeyburnout

I have no problem with leaving those things out so long as I can and still get my permit. I just dont want to leave something out that will cause me to not get my permit.

Rich B

Well, since the PD has the ultimate 'suitability' determination, they could technically deny you for just about any silly reason, but that is what the BFPE is for.

Not providing the info could cause you a denial, which you could immediately appeal (and probably win).

The choice is yours. Personally, I prefer that the PDs follow the state laws.

KIX

Thanx for thinking of my study guys.

Helped a few people out this weekend, so it does help some navigating the myriad of fiefdoms we have.

Jonathan

smokeyburnout

my old scanner didnt want to work so it got tossed. Bought a new scanner and the stupid thing didnt come with a USB cable :banghead: . So I should be able to email the form from the town to you by tonight at the latest.

smokeyburnout

Ok, I submitted my paperwork with no refrences and with no photo. They didn't really question me and answered all of my questions respectfully and professionally. I would say so far it was a good experience.

KIX

Thank you.

Please let me know how the process works out for you without the extra material.

Would be nice to see them say "OK" and still grant your temporary permit.

Jonathan

KIX

Thanx!

Will add this to the next update - gonna be a big one this time.

Jonathan

smokeyburnout

Final Result....

I got a call from my First Selectman today (First Selectman in my town is considered cheif of police) and went to town hall to get my temp permit. I submitted only what was required by the state and while it may have taken 7 weeks for me to recieve an answer that answer was yes. I'll be heading to Bridgeport tomorrow to get my hard copy. Thanks for all the answers and help guys and gals.

KIX

Glad it worked out for ya and you didn't give in to the fiefdom's silly demands.

Jonathan

KIX

I don't think this applies to background checks. No longer making rounds for permit renewals, new permits, etc.

This is a background check like many required for work and such. One of the perks of the state keeping background checks a separate process. Yeah, we have to pay for it, but it is considered a service not necessarily tied to a permit.

Gotta have someone try it and see what happens.

Jonathan

smokeyburnout

Troop G is closed! Hope you didn't take the ride. "NOTICE: TROOP C, D, E, and L PERMIT OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED AS OF 10/1/11"

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294510&dpsNav=|

Troop G is not closed. They are open on weds-friday for permits. I called them this morning and is also says nothing about Troop G in the link :) .
Since they were closed today I went to DPS in Middletown and got my permit in about 20 mins. Painless really.

Side note. Middletown accepts cash and personal checks as well as bank and certified so that is nice. Also I could have sworn it said on my paperwork to make the check out to DPS but once I got to DPS they had signs saying make checks payable to treasurer of the state of connecticut.