Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 year old told not to score too many touchdowns

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States

11 year old told not to score too many touchdowns

Pee-wee league player told he's too good to give it his all.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/119053297...ylist_id=87857

No, he's told to give the other kids a chance as well.

Personally I think the rule sucks. Either live with the fact that the kid has more talent/skills than the other kids or allow him to bump up against older kids who just might be able to duck and dodge as fast as he can.

In the meantime he's OK with waiting till next year.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Man, that sucks! What happened to "may the best player win"?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    i guess that...hard work. training, skill, concentration, maturity, drive and willpower......mean nothing in football anymore. what are they going to do? test him for juice next? ohhhhh its kind of like when schools outlawed dodgeball, tag, manhunt and hide and seek because they were "dangerous" and "unfair" ........anyone else see a whole generation of sissies being grown by over protective whiners? lol
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Kids need to learn sometimes you win and some times you lose. They are being totally trained to be unprepared for real life.

Here is a crazy idea... How about the other kids learn tackle preventing him from scoring so much.

Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Here is a crazy idea... How about the other kids learn tackle preventing him from scoring so much.
    Give the defensive team nets and tridents, and be gladiator.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I remember when I lived in Arlington, Virginia, and anyone who knows the Northern Virginia region knows what tends to inhabit Arlington, I was talking to a neighbor who's son was present and was doing well on his school's baseball team. During the conversation, the mother said that they were not into competition and didn't stress that since they felt it was more important to just play the game. I couldn't help but think that if she and her husband are not teaching their children to be competitive, then life could be difficult for them when they went out into the world on their own. The ignorance was rampant at times in that county.

As for the youngster in this story, I heard about this yesterday and though not surprised (younger baseball teams cannot get more than 5 points ahead of an opposing team in an inning) it is a real shame. At least this little guy has a head on his shoulders and knows that the chains are off next year when he hits junior high.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 09-29-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

After watching the video I don't really have any issues with it. The rule only applies to fifth and sixth graders and the rule is that if a single player scores three touchdowns in the game AND their team is up 14 points THEN he can't score any more points until the lead is less than 14. The intent is to help develop the rest of the players on both teams, it only applies to two grades, and the player can keep scoring so long as the opposing team doesn't get more than 14 points behind.

I mean that's better than when I've watched my little brothers play baseball and the game is called in like the third or fourth inning because they are so far behind and there's restrictions on how many points the team can earn in an inning.

I think the only child learning good sportsmanship is DJ, the others are learning that if you don't like how you are being outperformed, make a rule that the other guy cannot outperform you. Oh, that's right, the Occupant is doing that right now!

Not the preparation I think our youth need for real life. I would also be interested in how much bullying goes on in that school system.

However, if the libs keep trying, eventually they will have all the sharp corners padded.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Shades of Harrison Bergeron.

Those who don't remember Vonnegut are doomed...to re-enact his short stories. (well worth a read)
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    After watching the video I don't really have any issues with it. The rule only applies to fifth and sixth graders and the rule is that if a single player scores three touchdowns in the game AND their team is up 14 points THEN he can't score any more points until the lead is less than 14. The intent is to help develop the rest of the players on both teams, it only applies to two grades, and the player can keep scoring so long as the opposing team doesn't get more than 14 points behind.

I mean that's better than when I've watched my little brothers play baseball and the game is called in like the third or fourth inning because they are so far behind and there's restrictions on how many points the team can earn in an inning.
    None of that sounds like a lesson I want my son to learn.

At first it made me mad and I thought he should just keep scoring until they threw him out and then sue the crap out of the school or whoever. Then I watched the rest and realized that next year all bets are off and those same kids will be more coordinated. Still don't like it though. The think I liked the most was the kid's last comment. God, grades and touchdowns. In that order of importance. That kid will live forever!
    Last edited by Fisherman; 09-30-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    At first it made me mad and I thought he should just keep scoring until they threw him out and then sue the crap out of the school or whoever. Then I watched the rest and realized that next year all bets are off and those same kids will be more coordinated. Still don't like it though. The think I liked the most was the kid's last comment. God, grades and touchdowns. In that order of importance. That kid will live forever!
    Then why have different leagues at all? The point of leagues is to try and keep things fair/balanced. At older ages they have different ways to separate things out (such as pro vs minor league), but at younger ages the only thing you really have to go off of is the age. But as everyone knows, kids develop at different rates. So I see this as a fair compromise to both sides. It prevents one side from being completely dominated by someone who (skill wise) should be in a higher league, and it is still generous enough to let the highly skilled kid play for most/all of the game. Plus it prevents certain dubious coaches from only playing a few players to the exclusion of others.

Is it ideal? No, but then again grouping by age instead of skill and taking everyone who signs up regardless of skill isn't either.

Common sense has given way to political correctness.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 10-01-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Yeah, that little fella has more common sense than the idiot adults who run the school. Good for him... bad for them.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Shades of Harrison Bergeron.

Those who don't remember Vonnegut are doomed...to re-enact his short stories. (well worth a read)
    Vonnegut was a genius, but i had never read that one before, but it is is great and thoughtful story!
    My old favorites are Player Piano, the best!, and Slaughter House Five,
    thanks for making me remember.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Yeah, but in football each touchdown is worth 7 points, so if this kid scores twice on offense in the 1st quarter he might be benched for the rest of the game if the other team can't score. It's bull-****. You don't punish someone because they're doing too good of a job. This kid should be the MVP. Instead they're placating every other player because this kid is 'too good'.

Bunch of mollycoddling sissies.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Dumbing down to the lowest common denominator is never a good thing.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    Yeah, but in football each touchdown is worth 7 points, so if this kid scores twice on offense in the 1st quarter he might be benched for the rest of the game if the other team can't score. It's bull-****. You don't punish someone because they're doing too good of a job. This kid should be the MVP. Instead they're placating every other player because this kid is 'too good'.

Bunch of mollycoddling sissies.
    It said that if he scores three touchdowns and were up by at least 14 points that he couldn't score any more TDs until the spread was less than 14; not that he couldn't play anymore. So if he were to carry his team to 21-0 or 21-7 simply move him to a different position on the field.

I know I'm not going to win and I agree that too many "sports" are becoming soft (like when I watched my little brother play basketball and they didn't keep score), but I see this as a fair compromise given how these little league sports work. Anyone who signs up gets to play, no sorting by skill, parents who force their kids to play, different developmental speeds of kids, coaches who favor certain kids over the rest of their team, etc. The system won't ever be perfect, but this rule comes across as being fairly balanced to me and it doesn't even stop the kid from conintuing to play in the game.

All this is teaching this kid and others is that if you have the true talent and ability to succeed that they WILL hold you back so you cannot succeed. Factor in that this particular kid is a minority and you have an issue that looks very bad. That IS NOT what needs to be taught. What does need to be taught is how to get the rest of the team involved so that they aren't depending on one player.

I was able to witness a father who was successful in soccer through college teaching his son how to play defense even though he was the primary goal scorer on the team. His dad said this: Son, do you see that girl over there? She looks talented, so why don't you go help her by making sure no one else can take the ball from her.

Oh relax, folks. He's free and clear next season. In the meantime, his compatriots actually get to play football this year.

As one who was the youngest one sitting on the bench in one state, and after a simple move the one who kicked butt in another state, I get it.

ETA: Perhaps they should group players as much by ability and weight as they do by age.
    Last edited by since9; 10-03-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by REALteach4u View Post
    All this is teaching this kid and others is that if you have the true talent and ability to succeed that they WILL hold you back so you cannot succeed. Factor in that this particular kid is a minority and you have an issue that looks very bad. That IS NOT what needs to be taught. What does need to be taught is how to get the rest of the team involved so that they aren't depending on one player.

I was able to witness a father who was successful in soccer through college teaching his son how to play defense even though he was the primary goal scorer on the team. His dad said this: Son, do you see that girl over there? She looks talented, so why don't you go help her by making sure no one else can take the ball from her.
    Why does his skin color matter? People that make an issue out of skin color are the reason we still have racism issues and failed things like affirmative action. Skin color flat out shouldn't matter.

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    SNIPI know I'm not going to win and I agree that too many "sports" are becoming soft (like when I watched my little brother play basketball and they didn't keep score)...SNIP.
    I think a lot of it depends on what sort of game is being played. Back in middle school me and my buddies would go out on the basketball court and just shoot freethrows and layups for hours without ever actually keeping score, simply because we wanted to get better at it. (in middle school we were pretty horrible at basketball)

When we were actually playing a game, however (whether it was basketball, baseball, football, or soccer) we had a couple of teachers who would try to pull the whole "Oh, we're not going to keep score today children, just play for fun".

HA! Baloney. There may not have been a scoreboard lit up, but every kid on the field knew what the score was. Every time someone scored a point they'd announce it. Just because the teacher wouldn't keep score didn't mean we didn't. We knew who won & lost. The teacher would always stand firmly by the losing team and declare that there were no winners or losers because we were just playing for fun, and there were no points.

Baloney again. The losers knew they lost, and resented the teacher saying that they hadn't. The winners knew they won, and the next day the losers were itching to settle the score. That's what made it fun!
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    The teacher would always stand firmly by the losing team and declare that there were no winners or losers because we were just playing for fun, and there were no points.
    Does getting one's teaching credentials involve a lobotomy?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast