Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCMomma pushing a stroller concerns

Question OCMomma pushing a stroller concerns

I am new to the whole OC scene and have a few concerns. My concerns are that I am a mother of a 2yr old and an early teen. I just have a gut feeling that just by me pushing the stroller around while I OC that people are going to get their panties further up their crack than if it was just me. Has anyone had this problem? Any guys shopping with your munchkins and getting harrassed because the kids were around? I am fully ready to support our cause by filling their head with all the correct information but being a new OCier I am nervous even more than the new OCier butterflies. I guess I am just trying to figure out if I need riot gear when I go out. :-)

OCMomma:

The Law says that You may Openly Carry a Firearm if You are NOT Prohibited from Possessing it and You either: 1 Have a Georgia Weapons Carry License, 2 Meet an Exception for such Licensure under Georgia Code 16-11-126, OR 3 Are Exempt Entirely, under Georgia Code 16-11-130.

If You can Legally do it, then, You can Legally do it, regardless of others Emotions.

Open Carry, in and of itself, CANNOT be Construed as Child Abuse, and You can NOT be Charged under either 16-11-101 or 16-11-101.1 so as long as You do NOT Furnish it to someone less than 18 Years of Age..

Now..., If Your Authority to Carry a Firearm is from either 1 or 2, as Discussed above, be Sure NOT to Enter The Places Discussed under: 16-11-34.1(b), 16-11-127(b), 16-11-127.1(a)(1), OR 16-11-127.2.

aadvark

OCMomma -

Welcome to OCDO and the wonderful world of open carrying.

Perhaps the most "famous" OCing momma was Melanie Haine of Pennsylvania. She OC'd at her daughter's soccer games and had an infamous run-in with the local Sheriff; unfortunately her lawsut against him was brought to an end by her untimely murder. There are a number of other women OCers scattered across the states. You might get a wider response by posting in the General Discussion section.

You have two excellent reasons (as if you needed one or more to begin with) for carrying. Both of your children are statistically at the prime ages for becoming the victms of some extremely evil characters. Don't get all panicy - I have no idea if where you live is any more dangerous than living at the North Pole when it comes to creepy evil-doers. But the kiddos are going to provide you with plenty of ammunition to use against anyone who comes up to you and starts trying to tell you what a horrible mother you are for carrying a handgun. Check out My Parents Open Carry http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/ which was written by two folks who post here (mostly on the Michigan forum). I'd even encourage you to PM them if you have specific concerns.

Over the years the worst thing I have noticed about women who carry is that the more immature boys here and out in the real world get carried away with the notion that "women who carry are sexy". Seems about as stupid to try to hit on a woman carrying as it does to get in the face of someone carrying a handgun and start a tirade about how eeevillllll guns are. But there are stupid people out there - probably just to prove that Nature has a sense of humor.

Check the Georgia forum for notices of open carry meet & greet events. Anything from coffee to lunch or dinner. If you don't see anything near you, go ahead and start something. Just post where and when you are going to be there. It then is up to them to show up. A bit of searcching will probably get you a list of places known to be friendly or unfriendly - patronize the former and shun the latter.

And last but not least - post pictures of you OCing with your kids.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Thanks for the responses!! I am fully educated on the wheres and whats of the law, so none of that is an issue. I have a weapons permit and I am experienced with weapons. My concern was the fact that now I want to OC, which will bring very spirited people out of the woodworks, I wanted to see if others had noticed that they were harrassed more because of having their kids in tow. Thanks for the website info!! I will be sure to check it out. :-)

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    i used to OC while i took my ex's 1.5 year old on a walk in his stroller daily. usually i just got funny looks. one time a man said "its dangerous to have kids around guns" my reply was "hes safer with me than with you" smiled and walked away. but nothing too serious. most loudmouths. dont want to scare kids, so even if they WANT to say something odds are they wont because 90% of their adgenda is looking cool to the other bystanders around. and noone who is screaming and scaring a child is cool :-p i would say go for it untill you dont feel comfortable with it. :-) and if that day comes. CC instead :-D
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    my reply was "hes safer with me than with you" smiled and walked away. but nothing too serious. most loudmouths. dont want to scare kid
    Don't take this as a diss, but IMO, this is also being a bit of a 'loudmouth', or mouthy. Like giving a hand gesture, even righteously, when being cut off by another driver.

I say, don't do it. Either be a positive ambassador while carrying or ignore (politely) comments. To each his own, but that's my take.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

I agree I am not looking to turn people off to the whole idea. I am wanting to be a diplomat for the cause. Although in defense of carryformyself I am sure there will be some that I will want to quote you to :-)

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    There are a number of other women OCers scattered across the states.
    Hi. Welcome to OCDO.
    Someone (male) told me when I started carrying that I'd likely have fewer problems than he, simply because people expect women to need protection, & the general public sees carry as more a 'macho' thing for guys than it is a self-protection thing.

I've only been trespassed once (got the store to take down the signs in a couple days),
    & had police called on me once (which was a doozy!),
    but the vast majority of people don't notice,
    & the ones who do mostly accept it. A few are curious, which is fine.
    Had one restaurant cashier who tried to throw our group out, but since we had approval from 2 levels of managers, he got spanked.

I'd think that having kids in tow would make it even more obvious that you're carrying for protection & people would be less likely to bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by skid
    ...the more immature boys here and out in the real world get carried away with the notion that "women who carry are sexy". Seems about as stupid to try to hit on a woman carrying as it does to get in the face of someone carrying a handgun and start a tirade about how eeevillllll guns are.
    Oh, I don't know...
    If he does it nicely, the 'hitting' male isn't in any danger.
    And if he doesn't, he knows she's well able to enforce a "no".
    Sounds like a good recipe for a very polite, respectful relationship.

And the idiots who commit disorderly conduct to argue with an armed citizen are only proving that they don't really think that citizen is dangerous... otherwise, they'd run the other way & call police.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I haven't OC'd since having my baby; since we live in a non OC state. But while I was pregnant we traveled to visit my family, and most people didn't even notice. If and when they did, they were surprised, but didn't say much. Here's the most memorable experience I had:

the only advice I can offer (which you may already do) is to carry a recorder and be knowledgeable, in case you do run into a confrontational person.

I can attest.

The only times I've ever been given troubles about carrying is when I DON'T have my son with me. Any time he's with me people just ignore it. I suppose it's hard to look menacing when you have such attractive and eye catching attention getters with you.
    Last edited by CharleyCherokee; 10-01-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

Welcome aboard, I disagree with the OP and think having kids around when OC'ing will make you seem like less of a threat. I wouldn't hesitate to OC with kids or pushing a stroller or...
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 10-01-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

I know that I don't think the same as the majority of the public. My personal belief is that every parent should carry a gun and be willing to be the first line of defense for their family. If I saw you carrying a gun and pushing a stroller I would probably want to speak to you to find out what you were carrying.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

I have been dating my girlfriend for about 3 months and have been living together for a month. Last night I sat 3 of her kids and my kid down and went over gun safety. My boy knew all about it but was very new to handguns. They knew about rifles from their grandfather but not handguns. I had been CCing for the last several months but wanted to have the gun safety and why I carry a gun talk before OCing. I will be OCing from now on though.

Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    I know that I don't think the same as the majority of the public. My personal belief is that every parent should carry a gun and be willing to be the first line of defense for their family. If I saw you carrying a gun and pushing a stroller I would probably want to speak to you to find out what you were carrying.
    tcmech-springfield XDM 40 cal ;-)

Well thanks a lot guys/gals about making me feel a bit better about OCing. I'll keep you updated if I have any issues.
    Last edited by OCMomma; 10-12-2011 at 06:59 PM.

I go to the public park with my kids with my gun always openly carried, as does my wife. Never had an issue so far (however, I have to mention that in my area, the little playground that is out front of Wal-Mart is our "public park" sadly enough). Also OC at the library with my kids, still never had anyone say anything or even seem to give me more attention than normal.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Quote Originally Posted by OCMomma View Post
    I am new to the whole OC scene and have a few concerns. My concerns are that I am a mother of a 2yr old and an early teen. I just have a gut feeling that just by me pushing the stroller around while I OC that people are going to get their panties further up their crack than if it was just me.
    The heaviest thing about carrying a gun, is the responsibility that comes with it.

Has anyone had this problem? Any guys shopping with your munchkins and getting harrassed because the kids were around? I am fully ready to support our cause by filling their head with all the correct information but being a new OCier I am nervous even more than the new OCier butterflies. I guess I am just trying to figure out if I need riot gear when I go out. :-)
    Be prepared to tell people that your kids are worth fighting for... It's the truth, right?

Just don't get drawn into anything. Laugh right in their face. Point and laugh in their face. Words are wasted on their kind anyway... Don't feel obligated to be an advocate. You don't have to be. Add in whatever you like as you feel more confident.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

OC Momma,

Welcome. Do what you know to be right and don't worry about others, except for being situationally aware. I OC a full-size handgun, and often walk our kids (3yrs and 14mos) through our Clermont neighborhood. No bad experiences or even odd remarks; In fact, we have a Judge living a couple blocks away whom commented positively on my choice to carry, as she thinks more folks should be able to protect their families. I praise you for being able to be the protection your kids need.

Fabricator

PS: I've had more odd remarks from when I was "CC'ing" a snubnose .38spl (and having wardrobe/concealment issues) than I EVER have from "OC" with a 4" .357 or a full-size auto.

Most excellently done, Madam!

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    I haven't OC'd since having my baby; since we live in a non OC state. But while I was pregnant we traveled to visit my family, and most people didn't even notice. If and when they did, they were surprised, but didn't say much. Here's the most memorable experience I had:

(video snipped)

the only advice I can offer (which you may already do) is to carry a recorder and be knowledgeable, in case you do run into a confrontational person.
    Last edited by PavePusher; 10-24-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    I actually have fewer negative reactions while OC'ing with my kids (3 week old & a 2 year old). I guess if I'm by myself I'm a scary "lone gunman" but if I'm holding my 2 year old daughter's hand then I'm viewed as a protective daddy.

YMMV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    I actually have fewer negative reactions while OC'ing with my kids (3 week old & a 2 year old). I guess if I'm by myself I'm a scary "lone gunman" but if I'm holding my 2 year old daughter's hand then I'm viewed as a protective daddy.

YMMV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    This.
    I tend to get less dirty/nervous looks when I have the lil' ones with me.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Well I popped my OC cherry

I have opened carried with my youngest in tow without any issues. I had a few people notice but no one said anything. I will post if I have any issues. Thanks guys and gals for reassuring me!!

I have opened carried with my youngest in tow without any issues. I had a few people notice but no one said anything. I will post if I have any issues. Thanks guys and gals for reassuring me!!
    Knowing how far you want to go and what direction to take with a heckler, will come with confidence. Don't feel obligated. You don't have to be an OC spokesperson if you don't want.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Knowing how far you want to go and what direction to take with a heckler, will come with confidence. Don't feel obligated. You don't have to be an OC spokesperson if you don't want.
    Nice description of someone that decides to verbally challenge an armed individual about the fact of their being armed.

Not that we would, but it sure seems they would draw and shoot us if they only had the guts to have their owm gun. But then, what would you call someone to gets in the face of a person carrying a gun, except stupid? Walking away from crazy persons is a good idea. Keeping your eye on them, and your digital voice recorder going as you walk away from them is a better idea.

I don't want to be confrontational, but if you commit the criminal offense of curse and abuse against me, and assault me, let alone commit battery, you need to be prepared for a meeting with the cops. I'd rather the cops confront that person.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Its soooo nice

It's sooo nice when I OC because those certain kind of guys stare at my gun now instead of my chest!!. I will have to say its a nice change and wish I had OCed sooner :-)

I am not really concerned with what people think and if they still wish to push their opinion on me I just plan on smiling and say thank you, then walk away. Thanks again everyone for making me feel more confident.

BTW this was my first mag in my new Springfield XD 40cal subcompact!! I am a very happy woman!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stclipspringfieldxd.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	7314
    Last edited by OCMomma; 11-04-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stclipspringfieldxd.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	7314
    Keep in mind, when in a self-defense situation, you still have to be aware of your target AND what is beyond/behind it. Headshots might be cool in video games, but that's a smaller target, and head level with anyone else who might be nearby...

Placing shots center-of-mass (CoM), that means torso, is safer and just as effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast