• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCMomma pushing a stroller concerns

OCMomma

I am new to the whole OC scene and have a few concerns. My concerns are that I am a mother of a 2yr old and an early teen. I just have a gut feeling that just by me pushing the stroller around while I OC that people are going to get their panties further up their crack than if it was just me. Has anyone had this problem? Any guys shopping with your munchkins and getting harrassed because the kids were around? I am fully ready to support our cause by filling their head with all the correct information but being a new OCier I am nervous even more than the new OCier butterflies. I guess I am just trying to figure out if I need riot gear when I go out. :)

aadvark

OCMomma:

The Law says that You may Openly Carry a Firearm if You are NOT Prohibited from Possessing it and You either: 1 Have a Georgia Weapons Carry License, 2 Meet an Exception for such Licensure under Georgia Code 16-11-126, OR 3 Are Exempt Entirely, under Georgia Code 16-11-130.

If You can Legally do it, then, You can Legally do it, regardless of others Emotions.

Open Carry, in and of itself, CANNOT be Construed as Child Abuse, and You can NOT be Charged under either 16-11-101 or 16-11-101.1 so as long as You do NOT Furnish it to someone less than 18 Years of Age..

Now..., If Your Authority to Carry a Firearm is from either 1 or 2, as Discussed above, be Sure NOT to Enter The Places Discussed under: 16-11-34.1(b), 16-11-127(b), 16-11-127.1(a)(1), OR 16-11-127.2.

aadvark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OCMomma -

Welcome to OCDO and the wonderful world of open carrying.

Perhaps the most "famous" OCing momma was Melanie Haine of Pennsylvania. She OC'd at her daughter's soccer games and had an infamous run-in with the local Sheriff; unfortunately her lawsut against him was brought to an end by her untimely murder. There are a number of other women OCers scattered across the states. You might get a wider response by posting in the General Discussion section.

You have two excellent reasons (as if you needed one or more to begin with) for carrying. Both of your children are statistically at the prime ages for becoming the victms of some extremely evil characters. Don't get all panicy - I have no idea if where you live is any more dangerous than living at the North Pole when it comes to creepy evil-doers. But the kiddos are going to provide you with plenty of ammunition to use against anyone who comes up to you and starts trying to tell you what a horrible mother you are for carrying a handgun. Check out My Parents Open Carry http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/ which was written by two folks who post here (mostly on the Michigan forum). I'd even encourage you to PM them if you have specific concerns.

Over the years the worst thing I have noticed about women who carry is that the more immature boys here and out in the real world get carried away with the notion that "women who carry are sexy". Seems about as stupid to try to hit on a woman carrying as it does to get in the face of someone carrying a handgun and start a tirade about how eeevillllll guns are. But there are stupid people out there - probably just to prove that Nature has a sense of humor.:D

Check the Georgia forum for notices of open carry meet & greet events. Anything from coffee to lunch or dinner. If you don't see anything near you, go ahead and start something. Just post where and when you are going to be there. It then is up to them to show up. A bit of searcching will probably get you a list of places known to be friendly or unfriendly - patronize the former and shun the latter.

And last but not least - post pictures of you OCing with your kids.

stay safe.

OCMomma

Thanks for the responses!! I am fully educated on the wheres and whats of the law, so none of that is an issue. I have a weapons permit and I am experienced with weapons. My concern was the fact that now I want to OC, which will bring very spirited people out of the woodworks, I wanted to see if others had noticed that they were harrassed more because of having their kids in tow. Thanks for the website info!! I will be sure to check it out. :)

carry for myself

i used to OC while i took my ex's 1.5 year old on a walk in his stroller daily. usually i just got funny looks. one time a man said "its dangerous to have kids around guns" my reply was "hes safer with me than with you" smiled and walked away. but nothing too serious. most loudmouths. dont want to scare kids, so even if they WANT to say something odds are they wont because 90% of their adgenda is looking cool to the other bystanders around. and noone who is screaming and scaring a child is cool :p i would say go for it untill you dont feel comfortable with it. :) and if that day comes. CC instead :-D

Badger Johnson

my reply was "hes safer with me than with you" smiled and walked away. but nothing too serious. most loudmouths. dont want to scare kid

Don't take this as a diss, but IMO, this is also being a bit of a 'loudmouth', or mouthy. Like giving a hand gesture, even righteously, when being cut off by another driver.

I say, don't do it. Either be a positive ambassador while carrying or ignore (politely) comments. To each his own, but that's my take.

OCMomma

I agree I am not looking to turn people off to the whole idea. I am wanting to be a diplomat for the cause. Although in defense of carryformyself I am sure there will be some that I will want to quote you to :)

MKEgal

skidmark said:
There are a number of other women OCers scattered across the states.
:D Hi. Welcome to OCDO.
Someone (male) told me when I started carrying that I'd likely have fewer problems than he, simply because people expect women to need protection, & the general public sees carry as more a 'macho' thing for guys than it is a self-protection thing.

I've only been trespassed once (got the store to take down the signs in a couple days),
& had police called on me once (which was a doozy!),
but the vast majority of people don't notice,
& the ones who do mostly accept it. A few are curious, which is fine.
Had one restaurant cashier who tried to throw our group out, but since we had approval from 2 levels of managers, he got spanked. :lol:

I'd think that having kids in tow would make it even more obvious that you're carrying for protection & people would be less likely to bother you.

skid said:
...the more immature boys here and out in the real world get carried away with the notion that "women who carry are sexy". Seems about as stupid to try to hit on a woman carrying as it does to get in the face of someone carrying a handgun and start a tirade about how eeevillllll guns are.
Oh, I don't know...
If he does it nicely, the 'hitting' male isn't in any danger.
And if he doesn't, he knows she's well able to enforce a "no".
Sounds like a good recipe for a very polite, respectful relationship. :)

And the idiots who commit disorderly conduct to argue with an armed citizen are only proving that they don't really think that citizen is dangerous... otherwise, they'd run the other way & call police.

PistolPackingMomma

I haven't OC'd since having my baby; since we live in a non OC state. But while I was pregnant we traveled to visit my family, and most people didn't even notice. If and when they did, they were surprised, but didn't say much. Here's the most memorable experience I had:

[video=youtube_share;k_awGuMWfpw]http://youtu.be/k_awGuMWfpw[/video]

the only advice I can offer (which you may already do) is to carry a recorder and be knowledgeable, in case you do run into a confrontational person.

CharleyCherokee

I can attest.

The only times I've ever been given troubles about carrying is when I DON'T have my son with me. Any time he's with me people just ignore it. I suppose it's hard to look menacing when you have such attractive and eye catching attention getters with you. ;)

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard, I disagree with the OP and think having kids around when OC'ing will make you seem like less of a threat. I wouldn't hesitate to OC with kids or pushing a stroller or...

Last edited:

tcmech

I know that I don't think the same as the majority of the public. My personal belief is that every parent should carry a gun and be willing to be the first line of defense for their family. If I saw you carrying a gun and pushing a stroller I would probably want to speak to you to find out what you were carrying.

Kingfish

I have been dating my girlfriend for about 3 months and have been living together for a month. Last night I sat 3 of her kids and my kid down and went over gun safety. My boy knew all about it but was very new to handguns. They knew about rifles from their grandfather but not handguns. I had been CCing for the last several months but wanted to have the gun safety and why I carry a gun talk before OCing. I will be OCing from now on though.

OCMomma

I know that I don't think the same as the majority of the public. My personal belief is that every parent should carry a gun and be willing to be the first line of defense for their family. If I saw you carrying a gun and pushing a stroller I would probably want to speak to you to find out what you were carrying.

tcmech-springfield XDM 40 cal ;-)

Well thanks a lot guys/gals about making me feel a bit better about OCing. I'll keep you updated if I have any issues.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
I go to the public park with my kids with my gun always openly carried, as does my wife. Never had an issue so far (however, I have to mention that in my area, the little playground that is out front of Wal-Mart is our "public park" sadly enough). Also OC at the library with my kids, still never had anyone say anything or even seem to give me more attention than normal.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I am new to the whole OC scene and have a few concerns. My concerns are that I am a mother of a 2yr old and an early teen. I just have a gut feeling that just by me pushing the stroller around while I OC that people are going to get their panties further up their crack than if it was just me.

The heaviest thing about carrying a gun, is the responsibility that comes with it.

Has anyone had this problem? Any guys shopping with your munchkins and getting harrassed because the kids were around? I am fully ready to support our cause by filling their head with all the correct information but being a new OCier I am nervous even more than the new OCier butterflies. I guess I am just trying to figure out if I need riot gear when I go out. :)

Be prepared to tell people that your kids are worth fighting for... It's the truth, right?

Just don't get drawn into anything. Laugh right in their face. Point and laugh in their face. Words are wasted on their kind anyway... Don't feel obligated to be an advocate. You don't have to be. Add in whatever you like as you feel more confident.

Fabricator

OC Momma,

Welcome. Do what you know to be right and don't worry about others, except for being situationally aware. I OC a full-size handgun, and often walk our kids (3yrs and 14mos) through our Clermont neighborhood. No bad experiences or even odd remarks; In fact, we have a Judge living a couple blocks away whom commented positively on my choice to carry, as she thinks more folks should be able to protect their families. I praise you for being able to be the protection your kids need.

Fabricator

PS: I've had more odd remarks from when I was "CC'ing" a snubnose .38spl (and having wardrobe/concealment issues) than I EVER have from "OC" with a 4" .357 or a full-size auto.

PavePusher

Most excellently done, Madam!

I haven't OC'd since having my baby; since we live in a non OC state. But while I was pregnant we traveled to visit my family, and most people didn't even notice. If and when they did, they were surprised, but didn't say much. Here's the most memorable experience I had:

(video snipped)

the only advice I can offer (which you may already do) is to carry a recorder and be knowledgeable, in case you do run into a confrontational person.

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I actually have fewer negative reactions while OC'ing with my kids (3 week old & a 2 year old). I guess if I'm by myself I'm a scary "lone gunman" but if I'm holding my 2 year old daughter's hand then I'm viewed as a protective daddy.

YMMV ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Beau

I actually have fewer negative reactions while OC'ing with my kids (3 week old & a 2 year old). I guess if I'm by myself I'm a scary "lone gunman" but if I'm holding my 2 year old daughter's hand then I'm viewed as a protective daddy.

YMMV ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

This.
I tend to get less dirty/nervous looks when I have the lil' ones with me.