Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun question for Mainers.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar

gun question for Mainers.

sooooo i bought a glock 32 a few weeks back. brand new from the factory. and apprently they messed up big time because the finish on my glock is coming off bad!. i mean i can scratch it off with my finger nail. i called glock, sent them photos and a video of this problem and they said "its not a factory glock finish, its spraypaint" .well somehow between the factory and brand new from cabelas my gun got "spray painted?" anyway i was wondering if anyone local knew of a gunsmith in southern maine that can put a new glock finish? or a duracoat on my gun? its hideously ugly the way it is and i dont like it. and looks ugly as heck when i OC. soooo if anyone knows of anyone who can media blast all this off and refinish it in a quick hurry. i would appricate the advice
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Have you contacted the gun store about it? It seems like a pretty unisual situation that someone should be able to correct without you putting out extra money. Doesn't Glock have a warranty?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I would question that "brand new from the factory" part, if it's been spray painted. It sounds to me like your complaint might be with the seller, not Glock.

Did you buy it from a dealer, or an individual? Was it represented to you as brand new, or did you assume it just because it had the box and paperwork?

I would definitely be talking to the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    SNIP Did you buy it from a dealer, or an individual?

I would definitely be talking to the seller.
    He said he bought it from Cabela's. I also agree with talking to the seller. It is definitely where I would start.

take it back to Cabelas!!! thats what i would do!!!

xd-over

problem is i took it to cabelas. and it was brand new from them but they have a no return policy on firearms. flat out wont do it. they said the best they can do is send it to glock. but thats what im trying to avoid. i dont want to lose my carry gun for 6-8 weeks so they can re-finish it. i mean i have other guns. but they are basically junk and i dont trust them. so i would rather not lose my glock for any period longer than 48 hours. just wish i could find someone local that could do it quick. i know it only takes like 3 hours once the process is started
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Think about it this way, if something as simple as the finish is messed up, what else could be wrong with the gun? Sending it back to Glock through Cabela's is probably your best option. It might take 6 weeks but the gun you get back will be good to go.

true. but then im out a gun. i think the actual slide and inner parts are fine. i've myself put a few hundred rounds through her. i just think they severely botched the finish. not a function issue. just ugly as a raven arms finish lol

take it to HOWELLS in GRAY! they will re-blue it!!!

xd-over

Quote Originally Posted by crdonov View Post
    take it to HOWELLS in GRAY! they will re-blue it!!!

xd-over
    wish it was that easy. if it was just bluing i would do it myself in my stove lol however glock does not use bluing on anything other than the barrel. the slide itself has a tenifer treated metal coated with a black packerized finish. if you try to put bluing on it it will do nothing but make it look weird. i need a new packerized finish or some type of duracoat.

best bet TAKE IT BACK TO CABELAS!!! IF YOU JUST BOUGHT IT , THEY MUST HONOR THE WARRANTY!!!

xd-over

Here's the situation as I see it. Cabella's sold it to you representing that it was "new in box". Guns from Glock thast are "new in box" do not have spraypaint on them.

Therefore, Cabella's at the very least unintentionally misrepresented the condition of the firearm. Once they were made aware of the fact that it was not in fact "new in box" they should understand that their choices are 1) replace it, 2) refund your money and deal with Glock/their wholesaler, or 3) be prepared for the state consumer protection agency to visit them based on your report of fraud (misrepresentation of the condition of the handgun).

Since you have unsuccessfully attempted to get either response #1 or #2 from Cabella's you are now at step #3.

Other than the fact that you are obviously annoyed at how this is being handled so far (and who could blame you?) it is time to stop complaining about how Cabella's is dealing with you and start dealing with them from a position of power.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Should have bought whip

Quote Originally Posted by crdonov View Post
    take it back to Cabelas!!! thats what i would do!!!

xd-over
    Should have bought whip to beat this dead horse. Take it back or fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    Should have bought whip to beat this dead horse. Take it back or fix it.

trying to fix it. cant take it back. dont want to send it to glock. was just wondering if anyone KNEW of any Maine gunsmiths that can do a duracoat. i know they cost around $50 and im fine with paying that. just need to FIND a gunsmith that does this. that was the whole point of the original post lol

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    trying to fix it. cant take it back. dont want to send it to glock. was just wondering if anyone KNEW of any Maine gunsmiths that can do a duracoat. i know they cost around $50 and im fine with paying that. just need to FIND a gunsmith that does this. that was the whole point of the original post lol
    Maine-Tactical in Scarbough Maine!!!

xd-over

Throwing duracoat over it is not going to fix your problem. If it came from the Glock factory like this, then it skipped a step in the treatment process. Who knows what else was skipped or missed. If the steel was not treated properly, then there is a good likelyhood of the gun going KABOOM in your hand and injuring yourself. Don't shoot it, don't use it, get it replaced. This isn't something benign like a couch that got the wrong apholstery. This could get you killed.

ehhh i guess your right. ill just have to send the slide back to glock and carry my Sig in the meantime. gonna miss my glock though haha

ehhh i guess your right. ill just have to send the slide back to glock and carry my Sig in the meantime. gonna miss my glock though haha
    Wait, so you have a Sig to carry in the meantime? If so, then what was the big deal about being without the Glock for a couple of weeks? It wasn't your only means of protecting yourself... This whole thread was pointless and the common sense answer to your question is obviously send it back to Glock.
    Last edited by boyscout399; 10-03-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Wait, so you have a Sig to carry in the meantime? If so, then what was the big deal about being without the Glock for a couple of weeks? It wasn't your only means of protecting yourself... This whole thread was pointless and the common sense answer to your question is obviously send it back to Glock.
    I don't think that the thread was pointless, and I think saying that is a tad bit harsh. He simply wanted some advice/opinion about what he should so seeing as he was in such a crappy situation. He probably was also interested in finding out if this same sort of thing had happened to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    I don't think that the thread was pointless, and I think saying that is a tad bit harsh. He simply wanted some advice/opinion about what he should so seeing as he was in such a crappy situation. He probably was also interested in finding out if this same sort of thing had happened to anyone else.
    Honestly though, the finish is falling apart in his hands and he's not willing to part with it for a few weeks to get it fixed when he has another perfectly good defensive firearm as backup? It all sounds rather fishy. If it's truly as he said, no one in their right mind after spending $500 on a new gun would say "Oh, I guess it's not that bad." They would be outraged and demand it be fixed. Also, no seller in their right mind that sold such an obviously defective product would not back it up. He said he bought it a few weeks ago. If it was a few weeks ago, Cabelas would surely get it fixed without fail.

Since he seems to be taking it so lightly, and Cabela's seems unwilling to help him, I'm thinking he may know more than he is leading on as to why the finish is falling off (self done duracoat job gone wrong perhaps)

Honestly though, the finish is falling apart in his hands and he's not willing to part with it for a few weeks to get it fixed when he has another perfectly good defensive firearm as backup? It all sounds rather fishy. If it's truly as he said, no one in their right mind after spending $500 on a new gun would say "Oh, I guess it's not that bad." They would be outraged and demand it be fixed. Also, no seller in their right mind that sold such an obviously defective product would not back it up. He said he bought it a few weeks ago. If it was a few weeks ago, Cabelas would surely get it fixed without fail.

Since he seems to be taking it so lightly, and Cabela's seems unwilling to help him, I'm thinking he may know more than he is leading on as to why the finish is falling off (self done duracoat job gone wrong perhaps)
    Alright boyscout. I've never had an issue with you before. In fact I do believe I've even gone as far as to defend you on here once or twice. But sorry to say. Now you have highly offended me and outright pissed me off. Where do you get off with your attitude and what in gods name makes you believe you can outright accuse me of lying, decipt and making things up? Let's get a few things straight. Cabelas for one does NOT allow returns of firearms EVER under any circumstance. So returning it was NOT an option. They OFFERED to send it to glock. Which I declined because I did not want to lose the weapon for a lengthy period of time due to the caliber. Yes I do have a sig but it is a 9mm and I only use it for range time and cheap ammo, however I do not trust the 9mm round for personal protection. Hence why I asked if anyone knew of a local smith that could repair the finish. Now your outright insulting attack on my charachter by insinuating that something is "fishy" about my post or my personal reasoning for not wanting to send my gun away for almost 10 weeks is not only rediculous but also 100% un provoked and un called for. If you didn't know of a local gunsmith, you didn't have to post a reply. But I do have to say your accusations and insults have formaly and irriversably changed my opinon of you and the level of respect I once had.

Easy boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xd-over

Alright boyscout. I've never had an issue with you before. In fact I do believe I've even gone as far as to defend you on here once or twice. But sorry to say. Now you have highly offended me and outright pissed me off. Where do you get off with your attitude and what in gods name makes you believe you can outright accuse me of lying, decipt and making things up? Let's get a few things straight. Cabelas for one does NOT allow returns of firearms EVER under any circumstance. So returning it was NOT an option. They OFFERED to send it to glock. Which I declined because I did not want to lose the weapon for a lengthy period of time due to the caliber. Yes I do have a sig but it is a 9mm and I only use it for range time and cheap ammo, however I do not trust the 9mm round for personal protection. Hence why I asked if anyone knew of a local smith that could repair the finish. Now your outright insulting attack on my charachter by insinuating that something is "fishy" about my post or my personal reasoning for not wanting to send my gun away for almost 10 weeks is not only rediculous but also 100% un provoked and un called for. If you didn't know of a local gunsmith, you didn't have to post a reply. But I do have to say your accusations and insults have formaly and irriversably changed my opinon of you and the level of respect I once had.
    9mm 124gr JHP at 1181fps has the same penetration value of a 357 sig 125gn JHP at 1319fps.

You'd rather trust your life to a gun that's falling apart in your hands than a reliable one at a slightly slower speed?

If you've known me for any length of time, you'd know that I always have my skeptical hat on. I mean no disrespect by my comments.

9mm 124gr JHP at 1181fps has the same penetration value of a 357 sig 125gn JHP at 1319fps.

You'd rather trust your life to a gun that's falling apart in your hands than a reliable one at a slightly slower speed?

If you've known me for any length of time, you'd know that I always have my skeptical hat on. I mean no disrespect by my comments.

actually it has a great rate of over penitration as you know. as does the .357 sig. hence why i have a .40 cal conversion barrel for it. that way if god forbid i have to use it. i do not take out the old lady behind the BG, or the other innocent bystanders. i dont use 9mm also because i have a Er trauma doctor in my family who has seen many 9mm gunshot victims in LA take 8-10 of the rounds and walk into ER. its not effective enough for me. its a personal choice. now i also know my glocks. in and out , and every other gun there is. i study ballistics, i do my own tests on home made gel. i test against glass, metal, old car doors ect. i also study firearm structure, manufactring techniques and history. 9mm is unreliable so i dont use it. but my knowlege of firearms makes me a very well known person at gunstores throughout southern maine. in fact it makes me well known enough that the employees at cabelas itself use me as a selling point for different firearms and when im in the store, ask me questions that they dont know the answers to. with this being said im almost certain my weapons structural integrity is indeed intact. and i planned on having the barrel and slide run through an ultrasound to check for areas of low or non fusion. that was not the issue. seeing as with glock, springfield, sig and colt i do all my own gunsmithing, milling and trigger work, the issue was a simple question of if anyone knew of a gunsmith in maine that could media blast everything off of it and just refinish it because as of yet i do not hold the capability to do it in-house as i do with everything else. now if you meant no disrespect that is fine. but being skeptical to yourself and having your own internal concerns is one thing, and a PM asking deeper questions may be warranted in that scenario, but public accusations are not needed. i may not know every law pertaining to OC. i admit i have been doing it for years but the legalities of it are clearly your department and not mine. but gunsmithing, firearms and my knowledge of them are something i value highly and respect myself over, and many others respect me for, so if i exploded in my previous post i apologize , i just felt harshly insulted.

I will always trust my 9mm!!! Put 2 in the chest, and one in the fore head there not walking into a hospital!!!

Xd-over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast