• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rapist Aiden Driver's 16-year term 'too excessive'

Haz.

THE Linear Park sex offender will be re-sentenced by the state's highest court because his 16-year jail term is deemed excessive for a young man.

Ohhh, the poor little dear! What a sad state of affairs. The population of Australia has been dissarmed, armed self defence is illegal and yet if one is a psychotic rapist, and gets caught we dont sentence the poor dear too harshly? We must take into consideration his young age and the fact that he had no criminal history and had a turbulent personal life. He pleaded guilty to offences including indecent assault, rape and home invasion. But lets not be too hard on the poor little dear. I know this much. Had he comitted these crimes in the USA he more than likely have been shot by a victim, and good riddence. In Australia he will probably be resentenced and released in five years only to resume his ways. ""Based on the opinion of two psychologists, Driver is unwilling to control his sexual instincts," he told the court in June.
Haz.

THE Linear Park sex offender will be re-sentenced by the state's highest court because his 16-year jail term is deemed excessive for a young man.

Aiden Driver, 20, broke into the home of his first victim and raped her while pushing his arm down across her throat.

He then attacked two women in Linear Park, locking one in a bear hug before trying to drag her into the bushes.

Yesterday, the Court of Criminal Appeal said it was "inclined" to overturn Driver's sentence.

The announcement follows the court granting Driver permission to appeal on the grounds the penalty was "manifestly excessive" for a young man who had no criminal history and had a turbulent personal life.

"The court is inclined to allow (Driver's) appeal and re-sentence him," Justice Tom Gray said.

Read More:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...rm-too-excessive/story-e6frea83-1226152365709

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Absolutely ridiculous. I am of the personal belief that rapists should be castrated. 16 years is more than reasonable, I'd call that a light sentence.

Haz.

Absolutely ridiculous. I am of the personal belief that rapists should be castrated. 16 years is more than reasonable, I'd call that a light sentence.

I agree with castration, if they arn't shot first by intended victims. This grub is appealing this sentence;
" " ... you have no understanding of the state of mind, position or fear of these women," the judge said. He ordered Driver serve a minimum 10-year prison term."

Ten years is considered excessive???? I believe he will be out in five. Cheers: Haz.

okboomer

Well, actually, here in the USA, he would have been examined by a Mental Health professional to determine whether he should be tried as a minor or an adult. If tried as a minor, the max sentence would be 5 years/until 21 years old incarceration in a juvenile facility with rehabilitation. If tried as an adult, he is subject to adult sentences ... age and prior criminal history would be taken into account by the judge in determining his sentence, but on the flip side, his statements (he couldn't control his actions) and the violence associated with the assaults would also be taken into consideration. Also, if tried as an adult, even at 16 he would serve his time in an adult facility unless the judge ruled time in a juvenile facility until 18, then transfer to an adult facility.

In Oklahoma, we have a 13 year old who is being tried as an adult for shaking his little sister to death because she interrupeted his video game. He will probably serve the first part of his sentence at a juvenile facility, then transfer to an adult facility at 18. We have several convicted minors doing that right now.