Thread: Lurker comes out of the shadows...

Lurker comes out of the shadows...

Greetings all!

I've been lurking around the boards since August and started to OC when I got my first-ever gun in September (Springfield XDm 9mm). I decided to start OCing after two tours in Iraq. Once I got back it didn't feel safe without a weapon. I missed having the means to effectively defend myself.

I've OCed with no problems here at Co Springs at Lowes, On The Border, Home Depot, Walmart and some others I can't recall at this time. The only place I've had a problem at was at the complex where the Cinemark theater is off of Powers. There the security personnel said that it was private property and I'd have to lock my gun in my car. So I chose to leave instead and now I go to the Hollywood Theater north of the Springs off of I-25 (no issues there yet).

I'm currently on terminal leave from the AF retiring after 20 years (MSgt) and am looking into getting my EE degree from UCCS. I'm hoping the Colorado Supreme Court rules to allow CC on campus there. Haven't heard anything about the ruling but I've heard that they've heard the arguments already.

Dave

Welcome. Get your CCW and conceal at the theater. That's what I do. Otherwise, the Springs is as gun friendly as any place in the country whether CC or OC. Enjoy civilian life!
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Zakaris View Post
    I go to the Hollywood Theater north of the Springs off of I-25 (no issues there yet).
    I haven't had any issues there, either. Couple of wide eyes, but I tend to be a very polite customer, with "please," "thank you," and "sir/ma'ams." That quickly settles their nerves.

I'm currently on terminal leave from the AF retiring after 20 years (MSgt)..
    Thank you for your service, and congratulations! I departed the fix myself about 2.5 years ago. Who knows? We may have bumped into one another. Come to one of the OC meets and we'll find out!
    Last edited by since9; 09-30-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Thanks for your service Dave!

what AFSC?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Oh, dear Lawd another one has seen the light.

Not trying to rub it in, but isn't there a feeling of self reliance that comes from taking the responsibility to take care of yourself instead of hoping someone else will show up in time to stop whatever is happening to you right now?

Just remember that Colorado springs does not have FOB in front of the name. But also remember it's still Indian Country outside the front door.

Stick around and keep your eyes open for opportunities to get together with other folks to talk about OC, politics, the weather and which flavor of Starbucks coffee is worse than the pumpkin stuff. And get involved in the effort to get campus carry. It's not all up to the courts, as once they rule on the current case the legislature is going to have to be involved in either rewriting the law to allow what the court said or rewruting the law to fix what the court did not get right.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Just remember that Colorado springs does not have FOB in front of the name. But also remember it's still Indian Country outside the front door.
    Anyone able to tell me what that means in English?

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    what AFSC?
    1C671 Space Operator

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Anyone able to tell me what that means in English?
    FOB = Forward Operating Base. In Afghanistan, for example, there are air bases, fire bases (arty), forward operating bases (from which they sent out various types of missions), and camps/compounds (where they keep reserves of people and supplies as well as house major medical facilities).
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    FOB = Forward Operating Base. In Afghanistan, for example, there are air bases, fire bases (arty), forward operating bases (from which they sent out various types of missions), and camps/compounds (where they keep reserves of people and supplies as well as house major medical facilities).
    Ohhhh..... Apologies to the vets for my ignorance and thanks for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Ohhhh..... Apologies to the vets for my ignorance and thanks for your service.
    No apologies necessary, mahkagari. It's all good.

scubabeme
    Welcome to full-time civvies status! I departed service in 1997 after 23+ myself.