• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lurker comes out of the shadows...

Zakaris

Greetings all!

I've been lurking around the boards since August and started to OC when I got my first-ever gun in September (Springfield XDm 9mm). I decided to start OCing after two tours in Iraq. Once I got back it didn't feel safe without a weapon. I missed having the means to effectively defend myself.

I've OCed with no problems here at Co Springs at Lowes, On The Border, Home Depot, Walmart and some others I can't recall at this time. The only place I've had a problem at was at the complex where the Cinemark theater is off of Powers. There the security personnel said that it was private property and I'd have to lock my gun in my car. So I chose to leave instead and now I go to the Hollywood Theater north of the Springs off of I-25 (no issues there yet).

I'm currently on terminal leave from the AF retiring after 20 years (MSgt) and am looking into getting my EE degree from UCCS. I'm hoping the Colorado Supreme Court rules to allow CC on campus there. Haven't heard anything about the ruling but I've heard that they've heard the arguments already.

Dave

Gunslinger

Welcome. Get your CCW and conceal at the theater. That's what I do. Otherwise, the Springs is as gun friendly as any place in the country whether CC or OC. Enjoy civilian life!

since9

Campaign Veteran
I go to the Hollywood Theater north of the Springs off of I-25 (no issues there yet).

I haven't had any issues there, either. Couple of wide eyes, but I tend to be a very polite customer, with "please," "thank you," and "sir/ma'ams." That quickly settles their nerves.

I'm currently on terminal leave from the AF retiring after 20 years (MSgt)..

Thank you for your service, and congratulations! I departed the fix myself about 2.5 years ago. Who knows? We may have bumped into one another. Come to one of the OC meets and we'll find out!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, dear Lawd another one has seen the light.

Not trying to rub it in, but isn't there a feeling of self reliance that comes from taking the responsibility to take care of yourself instead of hoping someone else will show up in time to stop whatever is happening to you right now?

Just remember that Colorado springs does not have FOB in front of the name. But also remember it's still Indian Country outside the front door.

Stick around and keep your eyes open for opportunities to get together with other folks to talk about OC, politics, the weather and which flavor of Starbucks coffee is worse than the pumpkin stuff. And get involved in the effort to get campus carry. It's not all up to the courts, as once they rule on the current case the legislature is going to have to be involved in either rewriting the law to allow what the court said or rewruting the law to fix what the court did not get right.

stay safe.

mahkagari

FOB = Forward Operating Base. In Afghanistan, for example, there are air bases, fire bases (arty), forward operating bases (from which they sent out various types of missions), and camps/compounds (where they keep reserves of people and supplies as well as house major medical facilities).

Ohhhh..... Apologies to the vets for my ignorance and thanks for your service.

S

scubabeme

Welcome to full-time civvies status! I departed service in 1997 after 23+ myself.