• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i need a new paddle holster

nilla

i am looking to replace my fobus paddle-roto holster. please don't give me the "kydex holster's are crap" shpeeil

my beef with this one is; that the retention has weakend, to the point that my glock 27 actually popped out of the holster and fell to the ground when i tried to catch a shopping cart in a walmart parking lot before it hit my car. ... i was unsuccessfull, by the way.

i like the paddle,
i like the forward cant,
i like the OWB/OC
i just want better retention.

i am on the fence about a release button/latch
i do not like a thumb snap, or other thumb actuated levers/tabs to increase the felt leverage/disatance from belt of teh gun's weight

any suggestions?
real-world/first-hand experience?
reccomended bands/manuacturers?

-thanks

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have a Bladetech paddle holster for my FNP-40. I really like it. It has no buttons or latches or switches to deal with. It uses the friction retention method similar to the Fobus.

You could buy another Fobus.

If you want to try a holster with a button release I would suggest a Blackhawk Serpa. There are some haters out there but plenty of people love them.

dmatting

I carry the Blackhawk Serpa mounted on the paddle and I would recommend it. You can mount the holster on either the paddle or the belt mount - it comes with both. I like it. I practice with it a lot. Of the thousands of times that I have pulled the gun out of the holster (yes, with it unloaded) I have not had my finger slip inside the trigger guard (I carry an XD45 service model) which is one of the arguments against it. I say - practice practice practice so it becomes muscle memory. There is also an argument about debris fouling the release button and not being able to remove the gun. I typically don't roll around in the mud, dirt or snow so I'm not sure that would apply to me, personally - of course there may be professions where it does occur (military would be one thought).

I also like the retention of the paddle itself. The paddle has two adjustable fingers that will hold to the underside of your belt and one finger on the paddle that will catch on the inside of your pants. It is very effective - when i remove the holster at night, I remove my belt and I have to unbutton my pant so I can release the paddle finger to get the holster off - otherwise it gets hooked on my pants and won't come out.

There are 5 cant positions as well ... extreme forward cant, moderate forward cant, straight up and down, moderate rearward cant and extreme rearward cant. ("extreme" may be a bit extreme of a term, but those cants are significant). I carry straight up and down but would prefer the moderate rearward cant if the butt of the gun did not interfere with m car seat.

Last edited:

carry for myself

I carry the Blackhawk Serpa mounted on the paddle and I would recommend it. You can mount the holster on either the paddle or the belt mount - it comes with both. I like it. I practice with it a lot. Of the thousands of times that I have pulled the gun out of the holster (yes, with it unloaded) I have not had my finger slip inside the trigger guard (I carry an XD45 service model) which is one of the arguments against it. I say - practice practice practice so it becomes muscle memory. There is also an argument about debris fouling the release button and not being able to remove the gun. I typically don't roll around in the mud, dirt or snow so I'm not sure that would apply to me, personally - of course there may be professions where it does occur (military would be one thought).

I also like the retention of the paddle itself. The paddle has two adjustable fingers that will hold to the underside of your belt and one finger on the paddle that will catch on the inside of your pants. It is very effective - when i remove the holster at night, I remove my belt and I have to unbutton my pant so I can release the paddle finger to get the holster off - otherwise it gets hooked on my pants and won't come out.

There are 5 cant positions as well ... extreme forward cant, moderate forward cant, straight up and down, moderate rearward cant and extreme rearward cant. ("extreme" may be a bit extreme of a term, but those cants are significant). I carry straight up and down but would prefer the moderate rearward cant if the butt of the gun did not interfere with m car seat.

i could not agree more. for cc i wear a blackhawk under a long button up shirt. for OC i wear my blackhawk with the same types of shirts, tucked behind it. i use the forward cant and the paddle holster att. only time i use the slip through is when i want to look fancy. and the paddle comes in handy when i need to 100% conceal and need to remove it quick to throw in my blackhawk IWB leather rig ;-)

blackhawk is the way to go. :-D

p.s. i know plenty of servicemembers overseas right now. seals, marines, airborne , infantry who use the serpa mounted to their vests. who get plenty muddy, dirty and otherwise yuck. who have NO issues with debris getting into the release mechanism and "gunking" it up. if your worried, smack the holster every now and then and anything inside should fall out ;-)

Last edited:

MilProGuy

i like the paddle,
i like the forward cant,
i like the OWB/OC
i just want better retention.

i am on the fence about a release button/latch
i do not like a thumb snap, or other thumb actuated levers/tabs to increase the felt leverage/disatance from belt of teh gun's weight

any suggestions?
real-world/first-hand experience?
reccomended bands/manuacturers?

-thanks

I've got a recommendation for ya'!

The ITAC tactical holster:

1000680z.jpg
062247ossanditac.jpg

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

You could also try the Safariland ALS.

It all depends on whether your want to use your finger to release the pistol (Blackhawk) or your thumb (Safariland).

I'm sure there are other differences, but these are the biggest two.

GuidoZ

You could also try the Safariland ALS.

It all depends on whether your want to use your finger to release the pistol (Blackhawk) or your thumb (Safariland).

I'm sure there are other differences, but these are the biggest two.
I 2nd the Safariland ALS. I've got one for my XDm and really like the fit/feel, as well as the release. It's natural... your thumb goes to grip the butt of the gun and it's in perfect position for release. Adjustable all around and mine included a belt attachment as well. :banana:

--
Peace. ~G

nilla

--Moderator deleted spam--

Cabella's/BassProShops/Sears and local gun shows/shops are the places i'd look/try first for a holster. if you can try it on and precatice drawing with yours unloaded or a blue 'dummy' guun, that'd be best. once youre satisfied with it or have a goof idea of what you want/like, then try over the internet at ; the sponsors banners atop this page, CheaperThanDirt, midway, e-bay, J&S holsters, ........

he should have no problem finding a buyer for his right-handed draw holster to reclaim some of the costs/value

Last edited:

GuidoZ

Being a lefty myself I found the selection of holsters slim. I have a xd .45 and use a crossbread and a safariland als. I ordered the als.from optics planet and it took over two months to get. I like both of them.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
2 months!? That's crazy - I ordered from Optics Planet and had mine in about a week. Maybe it's a stocking problem (I'm a standard right-handed guy) =)

--
Peace. ~G

nilla

J&S Holster

i got this thing last week. it came in the smallest flat-rate USPS box, if that gives you an idea of how small and narrow/thin it is.

i've been wearing it all around and am pleasently impressed with it. i didn't think i would like it as much as i do.
it looks like it would not be as comfortable as it is, and that it would stick out further and have a more definite print. .....

but it is UBER-comfy at about the 4-oclock position on the belt (inbetween the butt pocket and directly on the side)
it does not press the slide/sights into my 'muffin top'/'love-handle' waistline, but still holds the weight of it close and secure while giving it minimal leverage.
much more comfortable than tucking it inbetween my belt and pants, with a clipdraw.
the kydex is so tight on the slide and frame, that it is silent even when shaked/jiggled (unlike my fobus)
the release/retention is more gradual/progressive. reminiscent of leather.
this may change as the kydex wears in, tho i should be able to compensate for that with the adjustable tension screw.

what i find is most comfortable about it is that it is made from one piece of material so there is not stiching/rivits holding the 'paddle' to the rest of the holster, so there is nothing to pinch/poke my waistline. this is something i haven't found in other paddle holsters.

check these guys out! http://jsholsters.com/

McNutty

I like Kydex holsters myself.

I would recommend the Serpa as well if retention is a bigger concern. I don't know if it is technically considered level 2 retention or not but the button that locks the gun in place that must be depressed by the trigger finger I think is nice. With practice it's not an issue despite the fact that some have complained about possibly the trigger finger entering the trigger guard when drawing and possibly shooting oneself in the leg, which has happened. If you use it properly and don't try and get fancy or anything, that should not be an issue. It is also cantable into a number of positions, which is nice - I prefer straight up (like my whiskey). My only complaint would be the little fingers that hold the holster in place. I admit I lack some patience but I have found it to be annoying when trying to take the holster off. From that perspective, I've liked the belt mount - but that isn't any easier necessarily and I don't think it holds the gun as close to my body as I would prefer.

I also purchased a paddle holster from Comp-Tac and really like it. It doesn't have the annoying teeth like the Blackhawk but it absolutely stays in place. It sits nice and close to my body. It comes in a forward/FBI cant if you prefer. It retains the firearm nicely but it is a level 1 and may not offer the retention you are looking for, particularly for open carry.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Get a Serpa CQC. Level II retention, great looks, rugged as heck, and the cant is adjustable.

Plus they have an optional "drop loop" so you can wear it slightly lower in the winter and it won't be covered by a short jacket.

I have 3 Serpas--2 for my Para and one for my Glock--all are snug as a bug in a rug, comfy for all-day wear, and utterly reliable. Even after nearly 3 years of daily wear they look (and function) great. They are the fastest-drawing holster I've ever used, and I also use mine for USPSA. I'm pretty sure they are IPSC and IDPA-legal too if you are into that...

Plus they are made in the USA.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

I'd rather send my money to Blackhawk...

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

Your screwed with paddles if your left handed. Had to go with the Bianchi #7500 accumold for my Bersa .40. Has the strap. I actually like it. Gives real good weather protection which is good for me since I ride mc and live on a farm. $75

kcgunfan

Speaking as a leftie, I have a Serpa CQC for my Glock that has both paddle and belt backs.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk