• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RESOLVED: Hardee's To Ban All Firearms??

macgulley

One of the members of Alabama Open Carry was recently asked to leave a Hardee's because he was open carrying. In a response to a letter he sent to their home office he received the following letter. Hardee's needs to know what we think about this.

index.php

SFCRetired

And I used to love their breakfast menu. Email sent letting them know they've lost a long-time customer.

added: I went on their website and used the "contact us" to send the email. It was returned as "Administratively Denied". I just sent another to Ms Purcell's email and am waiting to see if that one is also denied.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Please notice that her email as typed in the letter is WRONG.
It should be julie@realtimehr.com

Here's an online comment form to Hardee's:
http://www.hardees.com/contact/contact_form

And a map of their locations:
http://www.hardees.com/locations

I'd like to know more about the original incident... tried looking on the OCDO AL forum, as well as ALOC.com & wasn't successful. Anyone? Link?

As for a list of Hardees' shootings...:
SEP07 robbery, double shooting inside Hardee's
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/newport-news-man-guilty-07-killing-hardees-worker

APR08 fight, shooting inside Hardee's
http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/2706171/
(shooter is 20, & is said to have 'brought out a gun', so was illegally carrying concealed)

MAR09 shooting outside Hardee's
http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=271253

MAY09 2 armed robbers, multiple shootings inside Hardee's
http://www.independentmail.com/news/2009/may/29/bond-denied-teen-charged-hardees-shooting/

NOV09 robber w/ gun shoots Hardee's manager inside
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/nov/11/hardees-shooting-suspect-sought/

APR10 drive-by shooting in Hardee's lot
http://www.whiteville.com/articles/2010/04/08/news/doc4bbdee77d4521098296792.txt

MAY10 shooting outside a Hardee's
http://quincynews.org/local-news-archive/one-man-shot-in-hardees-parking-lot.html

MAR11 shooting outside a Hardee's
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/portage/article_702b4e8f-04a1-581f-8f33-fb1981ab5b17.html

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
sent this

Subject: firearms ban causing loss in buisness

Julie Pursell

In the state of North Carolina it is a constitutionally protected right for law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self protection. Nation-wide, 2.4 percent of the population practice this right on a daily basis.

While it is also your company's right to ban firearms in it's restaurants, I will not patronize an establisment that doesn't allow me to protect my family and myself while on their premises. I have been a patron of the Mooresville, NC location for 21 years.

former customer,

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx

Jack House

I think they missed the point. I think the AOC member's behavior was unfortunately inappropriate. And I won't be eating there anymore.

Posted using my HTC Evo

Badger Johnson

sent this

Subject: Firearm ban (will be) causing loss in business

Dear Julie Pursell,

In the state of North Carolina it is a constitutionally protected right for law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-protection. Nationwide, 2.4 percent of the population practice this right on a daily basis.

While it is also within your company's ability to ban firearms in its restaurants, I will not patronize an establishment that doesn't allow me to protect my family and myself while on their premises. I have been a patron of the Mooresville, NC location for 21 years.

former customer,

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx

Note some minor misspellings. Many post here for a quick check before sending to promote the most auspicious and erudite reply. :)

A quibble on saying it's their 'right'. I'd prefer not to promote this concept. Companies don't have rights, they have abilities, IMO (or so I'd like to promulgate).

Good on the former customer for getting right on this. I'm going to send a version of this and include the list of shootings. Thanks for the poster who caught the misspelling in her email. (rolls eyes - was that on purpose, I wonder?)

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
Note some minor misspellings. Many post here for a quick check before sending to promote the most auspicious and erudite reply. :)

A quibble on saying it's their 'right'. I'd prefer not to promote this concept. Companies don't have rights, they have abilities, IMO (or so I'd like to promulgate).

Good on the former customer for getting right on this. I'm going to send a version of this and include the list of shootings. Thanks for the poster who caught the misspelling in her email. (rolls eyes - was that on purpose, I wonder?)

Just because I'm dumb doesn't mean my money is worth less than anyone else's money.

Daylen

companies have rights. Or to put it another way, owners of companies have rights be it an individual, partnership, large group etc. Companies are people, thus companies have rights.

N605TW

Activist Member
Ah man, this is not good. I used to love Hardees. I sent a message via their website stating I would love to return as a customer as soon as their no gun policy was gone.

carracer

Even tho Idaho has no Hardee's we eat there while traveling thru Montana.

Comment sent.

I also agree there was too much interchange between the "Ex-Cop" and the AOC member.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Random question: Is Hardee's franchised or corporate? Is this the policy of one franchise owner or the company as a whole? Some of my friends have said they have carried in Hardee's here in VA as recently as yesterday with no issues.

Last edited:

wikieod

Email sent. I also sent the list of links in case she needed a refresher on why we feel the need to protect ourselves.

MKEgal

Just watched the 2 videos.
That "ex-cop" was a real jerk. Betcha he's the one that started the problem by telling the manager he was scared [waaaah], then escalated the problem by harassing the family.

Why didn't he get arrested for disorderly conduct? He was the one causing the problem & likely made a false 911 MWAG call for someone who was OCing (perfectly legal).

But yeah, the best way to deal with people like that is to ignore them.
Keep them in sight, in case they decide to do something really stupid, but ignore them.
Don't talk, don't preach, don't try to educate.
(Perhaps "thank you for your concern", or "I know the law".)
They don't want to learn & won't hear anything.
Focus on the manager & getting your money back.

And why would the cop steal the citizens property, order him around like a criminal? He wasn't doing anything wrong.
(Then there's the "don't video me"... sorry, Charlie, you're a public servant in a public place, so you have double zero expectation of privacy. Hope he's seen the video. LOL)

Sent emails to the letter writer & through the Hardee's website.
One of the things I pointed out is that thanks to the new cc law in WI, ONLY places that ALLOW carry are immune from liability if something goes bad. So in addition to increasing the danger (it's going to be a posted victim disarmament zone) they've also increased their liability - a double whammy.

But hey, if they're doing so well that they can afford to alienate a large part of the population, bully for them. It's not only people who carry who will avoid Hardee's once word gets out, but people who own guns & people who value their rights.

Yes, Hardee's is perfectly within the law to ban people based on their peaceful exercise of a protected civil right... as long as it's that protected civil right, which is wrong.
And we'll help spread the word so that no law-abiding customer accidentally goes into a Hardee's while armed. Hopefully, ever. That's what they want, right?

Just after our new cc law passed, a jewelry store here in Milwaukee (MKE) whined on several news reports that now he'd have to buy signs & so on... then seemed surprised when people were mad at him, & his business dropped off markedly in the next 2 months. [Search for Robert Haack Diamonds over on the WI forum.]

OTOH, knowing that, when I needed the services of a jewlery store I went to a different one. Openly armed. Was welcomed & treated well*, told my friends about it, now several of them are planning to take business there.
*(In fact, the sales guy insisted I hold a 2 carat diamond solitare... drool.)

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

just wrote them a letter politely voicing my displeasure.

its a real shame, i did love they're food...id often drive a half hour to get it

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Random question: Is Hardee's franchised or corporate? Is this the policy of one franchise owner or the company as a whole? Some of my friends have said they have carried in Hardee's here in VA as recently as yesterday with no issues.

Does anybody know the answers to my two questions? We might all be flaming Hardee's when it is just one franchise owner that is the problem.