Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Issaquah Shooter ID'd, Still no word on CPL holders shooting at him

  1. #1
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Issaquah Shooter ID'd, Still no word on CPL holders shooting at him

    Information on this shooting incident seems to be scarce and slow in coming. He's finally been ID'd but no word on WHY?

    http://heraldnet.com/article/2011092...ool-identified

    The newspaper reported that people who knew Ficker say he was socially awkward and was prone to paranoid rants about the government.
    Wonder how many here on this forum could have this last statement said about them? At what point does one's displeasure with the government become a "paranoid rant"?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  2. #2
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Information on this shooting incident seems to be scarce and slow in coming. He's finally been ID'd but no word on WHY?

    http://heraldnet.com/article/2011092...ool-identified



    Wonder how many here on this forum could have this last statement said about them? At what point does one's displeasure with the government become a "paranoid rant"?
    Oh, that's me! But I have the benefit of not being crazy though.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  3. #3
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Oh, that's me! But I have the benefit of not being crazy though.
    But who is defining crazy
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  4. #4
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    But who is defining crazy
    What? Who said that?
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  5. #5
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Information on this shooting incident seems to be scarce and slow in coming. He's finally been ID'd but no word on WHY?

    http://heraldnet.com/article/2011092...ool-identified



    Wonder how many here on this forum could have this last statement said about them? At what point does one's displeasure with the government become a "paranoid rant"?
    Socially awkward... yup that's me all right. Paranoid rant? Well I rant all the time. But it's not paranoia if they really ARE out to get you. The government sure is out to get me. Starting with a great big chunk of my money I never even see.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    I'm surprised they didn't claim him to be a right wing extremist, TEA party racist.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't claim him to be a right wing extremist, TEA party racist.
    Hey, hey, hey....give them time!

    I'm sure once the facts stop flowing about the individual they will start the speculation presented as facts.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Sharpender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    75
    The morning this happened my wife and I had an argument about why I needed to carry (conceal in bottom of backpack) my gun with me to my daughter's soccer game. I coach U13 girls soccer. Yes, the game was at a school, and as soon as the SWAT team accompanies my team to the game to ensure their safety I'll stop breaking the law. Half way through the game my wife heard about the Issaquah shooting. She was told that the shooting happened at a youth football game. She apologized to me (a rarity) and said she would never question my decision to carry anywhere again. It's nice to see that she finally understands that anything can happen, to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Maybe she'll finally let me get a new AR for the zombie apocalypse.

  9. #9
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpender View Post
    The morning this happened my wife and I had an argument about why I needed to carry (conceal in bottom of backpack) my gun with me to my daughter's soccer game. I coach U13 girls soccer. Yes, the game was at a school, and as soon as the SWAT team accompanies my team to the game to ensure their safety I'll stop breaking the law. Half way through the game my wife heard about the Issaquah shooting. She was told that the shooting happened at a youth football game. She apologized to me (a rarity) and said she would never question my decision to carry anywhere again. It's nice to see that she finally understands that anything can happen, to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Maybe she'll finally let me get a new AR for the zombie apocalypse.
    I'm assuming your wife is in control of the backpack at all times you are not? I ask only for clarification.

  10. #10
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpender View Post
    The morning this happened my wife and I had an argument about why I needed to carry (conceal in bottom of backpack) my gun with me to my daughter's soccer game. I coach U13 girls soccer. Yes, the game was at a school, and as soon as the SWAT team accompanies my team to the game to ensure their safety I'll stop breaking the law. Half way through the game my wife heard about the Issaquah shooting. She was told that the shooting happened at a youth football game. She apologized to me (a rarity) and said she would never question my decision to carry anywhere again. It's nice to see that she finally understands that anything can happen, to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Maybe she'll finally let me get a new AR for the zombie apocalypse.
    And of course you are some how found out, it will cost you dearly to get back where you are now. If the weapon was secured in your vehicle and you retrieved it during an incident then there is the defense of necessity to help your position.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Sharpender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    I'm assuming your wife is in control of the backpack at all times you are not? I ask only for clarification.
    Yes, she puts her chair on it and then sits in the chair.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    though completely legal under the constitution of these united states, if you are going to break the laws of your state I don't suggest advertising it online...
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  13. #13
    Regular Member Sharpender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    And of course you are some how found out, it will cost you dearly to get back where you are now. If the weapon was secured in your vehicle and you retrieved it during an incident then there is the defense of necessity to help your position.
    During games my car is typically 100+ yards from the field on which we are playing. I understand your point, but it's just not an option. Trust me, I hate doing anything illegal, but I'm not going to risk the lives of the people I care about because the government chooses not to protect them and than won't let me do it legally either.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    37
    Several sites have reported the shooter had problems with 'hearing voices', so it's likely he was suffering from a mental illness more severe than just paranoid rants.

    http://www.kirotv.com/news/29320281/detail.html

    KIRO 7 Reporter David Quinlan was able to verify the authenticity of a Facebook profile run by Ficker. The profile included links to comments made on a website by someone under the username Ronald Ficker that mentioned hearing voices and "going to the stars." The poster also referred to himself as "Supreme Commander."

    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...quah_gunma.php

    A week before abandoning his car in an Issaquah intersection, grabbing two rifles, and going on a shooting spree that ended with his own death, Ronald W. Ficker posted a link on his Facebook page to a support group for people who "hear voices."

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44693038.../#.TolxOrKaWuI

    Mark Risdon, Ficker's best friend, said he saw warning signs and tried to help.

    "I'm sure he wasn't shooting to injure anyone. It was some sort of cry for help," said Risdon. "That's why when we talked Thursday night, I knew something was wrong. That's why I tried contacting his doctor that night."

    Risdon said Ficker was talking about going to space and seemed delusional. He said he knew Ronald was depressed, but had no idea it would come to this.


    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/sound...ut-2194905.php

    Police first interacted with Ficker Sept. 15, when he walked into the Issaquah Police Station openly carrying a sidearm at his hip. He told the officer that he had concerns for his safety, because he had an invention that would save the planet.

    Ficker willingly surrendered his firearm to police, while they checked to make sure he possessed it legally. It was a peaceful conversation, and the officer had no legal way to detain him.
    Last edited by boatswain; 10-03-2011 at 04:28 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by boatswain View Post
    Several sites have reported the shooter had problems with 'hearing voices', so it's likely he was suffering from a mental illness more severe than just paranoid rants.
    Most married men also "hear voices" too. It's usually their wife and/or kids telling them to do something like mow the lawn, wash the car, take them to school, etc. Just because someone "hears voices" does it mean they are suffering from a mental illness? Some of us, when this occurs are just "suffering from marriage"
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  16. #16
    Regular Member 1911er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard Wa. /Granite Oklahoma
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Most married men also "hear voices" too. It's usually their wife and/or kids telling them to do something like mow the lawn, wash the car, take them to school, etc. Just because someone "hears voices" does it mean they are suffering from a mental illness? Some of us, when this occurs are just "suffering from marriage"
    You know what they say "If momma aint happy nobody's happy, And if Momma aint happy long enough youll be happy with half your stuff"
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

    DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

    All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

  17. #17
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    I know probably none of us would have the guts to do so, but everything I read about this guy, what he needed was a good person to talk to so he could get some help. I remember my wife's step father passing out and doing some biszar things before he died. His problem was caused by a compination of drugs for his heart problem. The "side effects" sheet on one of the drugs specifically stated do not use with XXXX it WILL cause you to pass out and/or do strange out of character things.

    IMHO: There is a good possibility that he was improperly reacting to some medication rather than being totally off.

    The type of illness he was displaying sounds like schizophrenia, but real schizophrenia normally shows up when a person is quite young (teen early 20's) and this guy was 50's. Some of the drugs they have can create schizophrenic like symptoms...especially some anti-depressant drugs, and those used for Parkensons. I would like to know "the rest of the story" (medical history). I know, it is water under the bridge for this guy because of some trigger happy LE, but it might help someone else.
    Last edited by hermannr; 10-03-2011 at 02:37 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I know, it is water under the bridge for this guy because of some trigger happy LE, but it might help someone else.
    Trigger Happy????? Perhaps you would prefer that they wait until this guy, who was shooting randomly, actually hit someone??

    Strange view.

    If he was just sitting in his car and they shot him, or if he standing on the street and they shot him, I might agree on the "Trigger Happy" accusation.

    Did you actually read what this guy was doing?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •