• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

outdoor pistol range on private property

holdcard

This is a general legalese question:

I live on 5 acres in rural Lake County Florida, and outside city limits. I set up a 100ft pistol range in the back, and have been shooting on it for 5 years. I want to rent the range out on weekends and post it on Craigslist however, I have been unable to find any Florida statutes that cover a non-commercial shooting range. Open carry could also be an issue here on my property if they are not the owners..correct?

If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.
Thanks people.

MilProGuy

It will be interesting to read the responses you get on this thread.

My Dad has twenty acres in rural Mississippi, and we have a private range set up on it, which is legal in our area.

holdcard

It will be interesting to read the responses you get on this thread.

My Dad has twenty acres in rural Mississippi, and we have a private range set up on it, which is legal in our area.

Out here where I live it's like a war zone on weekends. Once the first shot is fired, neighbors follow suit. I agree, this post should be thought provoking. I'm curious as to the "charging a fee" aspect of the range. I know I can have anyone I want to come out and shoot on my property, but how are the rules affected by the "fee?"
Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Jack House

Wouldn't advertising, charging a fee and being 'open' regularly on the weekends constitute a commercial venture?

HKcarrier

NOt to mention if you ever had some sort of accident or incident, your home owners insurance would not cover anything...

AND by inviting people to your property, you and your insured then become responsible for them as a liability... someone trips and breaks a leg... guess who's paying?

Last edited:

BaconMan

If it is legal to shoot on your property then by all means do so with family and friends, however, to rent you range space is a totally different thing. Most states have safety requirements that range owners have to comply with as well as insurance premiums they have to meet in the event of injuries. Also, the build up of lead on the property has to be considered, as well as, the disposal of lead has to be determined because you are running a business. But what do I know I'm in Cali and there are laws for everythang.....:dude:

Oramac

I'm going to agree with most here and say renting it out is probably not the best idea.

That said, if you really want to rent it without it actually being a "shooting range", rent them the LAND (or some other simple thing) for a short time. How they USE the land is up to them. This is the same way people sell online video game accounts. You can't sell the character, so you sell the time invested in the character instead.

carracer

Not to mention that you will be flagged off Craigslist in about 3 minutes. I was flagged off for trying to locate a holster for Cowboy Fast Draw!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
He has this same post up on the Florida page.

And your point is what exactly? Here he has the opportunity to reach a broader group of people.

I personally wouldn't let anyone other than family or close friends shoot
on your property for the same liability reasons others have noted.

Saber379

And your point is what exactly? Here he has the opportunity to reach a broader group of people.

I personally wouldn't let anyone other than family or close friends shoot
on your property for the same liability reasons others have noted.

Wow didnt think that I would be shunned for that damn man :cuss:

Oh btw He responded on the florida forum and not this one so .................

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Wow didnt think that I would be shunned for that damn man :cuss:

Oh btw He responded on the florida forum and not this one so .................

I don't have a problem with you pointing it out, just wanted to know why you did. It didn't seem to contribute to the discussion at hand.

Last edited:

Saber379

I don't have a problem with you pointing it out, just wanted to know why you did. It didn't seem to contribute to the discussion at hand.

I contributed on the Florida forum and got a response from the OP. I was just trying to be helpful.

My Contribution on this post

I believe that as soon as you charge someone for a service it becomes a taxable venture so you need the appropriate permits, Business license, Tax ID, Insurance, and have the proper zoning for a gun range.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This is a general legalese question:

I live on 5 acres in rural Lake County Florida, and outside city limits. I set up a 100ft pistol range in the back, and have been shooting on it for 5 years. I want to rent the range out on weekends and post it on Craigslist however, I have been unable to find any Florida statutes that cover a non-commercial shooting range. Open carry could also be an issue here on my property if they are not the owners..correct?

If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.
Thanks people.

Draw up a thorough plan and take it to the Small Business Institute. They'll help you draw up a better one while providing you with resources which you might find useful.