• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Young UOCer and the Old Former UOCer...

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Sometimes biding your time and waiting for help is prudent, sometimes it isn't.

Ca Patriot

how does that principle apply to open carry ?

to be honest, when i read the OPs scenario I couldnt help but think about the quicksand scene from Blazzing Saddles

Gundude

I though of the one from Mythbusters. It seem that a mix of water and sand is heavier that just water and you float higher in quicksand than just water.
Myth busted.

MilProGuy

The story offers good moral instruction...

...but I don't see the correlation to open carry of a handgun.

Firemark

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=7242470&postcount=276

Sorry for not coming up with this 2 1/2 years ago...hat tip to the poster...

While a fair story with a good moral. I prefer this alternate ending.

Three men were walking when two fell into quicksand. The man on firm ground could not reach them, and there was nothing to throw to them, so he ran back to the village for help as fast as he could, while the other two slowly sank into the sand.
"Lie flat, don't move," said the older man. "Moving makes you sink more quickly."
"But if we don't do something, we're certain to die," replied the younger, and he began to struggle.
"The village isn't far, and soon help will come," the older man said. "Save your strength for when it will do you good and not harm."
"That's coward's talk," sneered the younger. "If you won't help yourself, old man, just shut up. At least I'm doing something instead of giving up." And he struggled in the sand, sinking deeper and deeper.
"You'll go under soon," insisted the older. "Help is almost here, just be patient for a few minutes longer."
But the younger would not listen, and called the old man a quitter and a coward and many other names, getting more and more shrill as he sank right up until the point where he finally found purchase and pulled himself out (slipped under entirely). (Five minutes) 50 years later, their companion returned with a rope, and (though the old man was not strong he had not exhausted himself fighting against the quicksand and was able to hold on to the rope until he was hauled to safety.) found an old man sitting by the quicksand"Where is the (other)young OC'r?" asked their companion when he was able to regain his breath.
The old man pointed to himself "I WAS the Younger OC'r, where the hell you been for 50 years?" (sadly to a shallow dimple in the treacherous quicksand. "But at least he did something," said the old man.) The old OC'r died years ago stuck in the quicksand waiting for something better.

I guess my moral is you can wait and hope, or you can struggle and hope. Knowing which was best is only known from the future looking back. Either way, if you compare it to 2A rights, the 2 in the quicksand dont matter, but they will hopefully save those that come after a treacherous life of struggle and hoping to be rescued from losing their "quicksand" rights!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Cato is attempting to draw an allegorical parallel between those who are die hard, 'damn-the-torpedoes' unloaded open carry advocates who intend to open carry long guns in the event AB144 is signed into law, and those who have stood down, patiently awaiting rescue by judicial intervention.

Where this correlation fails is that it does not depict the shackles that tether the young man to the old man by the ankles. You see, the young man struggling against the quicksand and the old man who calmly awaits rescue will endure the same fate... one is at the mercy of the other.

I doubt that even if this was offered 2.5 years ago, that it would have made much difference. The die was cast some time before that.

Firemark

Cato is attempting to draw an allegorical parallel between those who are die hard, 'damn-the-torpedoes' unloaded open carry advocates who intend to open carry long guns in the event AB144 is signed into law, and those who have stood down, patiently awaiting rescue by judicial intervention.

Where this correlation fails is that it does not depict the shackles that tether the young man to the old man by the ankles. You see, the young man struggling against the quicksand and the old man who calmly awaits rescue will endure the same fate... one is at the mercy of the other.

I doubt that even if this was offered 2.5 years ago, that it would have made much difference. The die was cast some time before that.

+1 nicely said!
The die hard damn the torpedoes and the patiently waiting can try as hard as they like they arent going to get either to change. But if they spent energy working together, instead of trying to bring each other down, imagine what could happen.
Social change occurs slowly over many generations or kicking and screaming in just this generation.

jnojr

There isn't going to be any "judicial intervention" in CA. Not the way you'd want.

The only "judicial intervention" you might get is in the Peruta and Richards cases, where a ban on UOC might force an opinion in favor of striking down "good cause" for CCW.

But having nobody UOCing was never going to make any positive change in California.