• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Williamsburg area

dmatting

Hello

My family will be traveling up to your fine state next weekend (October 8). We will be visiting the Williamsburg area. Most of our time will likely be spent in Colonial Williamsburg and we will also be spending a day at Busch Gardens.

I am wondering if Colonial Williamsburg has any restrictions on the carry of a handgun. I would, obviously, prefer to open carry but I do have a North Carolina CHP if that matters.

Does anyone know of any local ordinances in Williamsburg regarding carry of a handgun?

I would expect that Busch Gardens prohibits weapons - I'll look into that.
I'll be calling the hotel that my wife booked to see if they have any restrictions as well.

Also, any info on carrying into restaurants that serve alcohol would be appreciated. Is it open carry or concealed?

Thanks all!

Walt_Kowalski

Open carry in Colonial Williamsburg is good to go. Be prepared for witty and awesome comments from the folks in costume there.

Busch gardens is posted as having a no guns / knives / sharp sticks policy.

In VA you can open or conceal carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. If you are concealed you can not drink alcohol. If you open carry you can consume alcohol.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

To further clarify....

Local jurisdictions (such as Williamsburg) are prohibited from having firearms ordinances concerning carry any more restrictive than the State Law. Pre-emption is a wonderful thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Been to Colonial Williamsburg many times OCing - never the first problem. :D

Busch Gardens wants your money, but they don't expect you to be responsible - definitely unfriendly :cry:

No problems ever encountered in the many stores, malls and restaurants either.

Enjoy your visit.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to you, your family and your tourist dollars.

While at Colonial Williamsburg try to get some time conversing with the Blacksmith, the Gunsmith, and any of the British Lobsterbacks that the King and his vile Parliment have saddled us with not only in our colony but in our homes! Those with a dry sense of humor (why is everybody looking at me?:uhoh:) enjoy conversing with them for the purpose of getting them to admit that the keeping and bearing of arms is lawful no matter how much they might wish otherwise. You can even ask for directions to go see your powder and shot in the Powderhouse, and see your muskets, lead and flints in the Armoury.

I'm going to play Miss Manners for a moment - the law says you cannot consume alcoholic beverage if you are carrying concealed, but has no such restrction if you are carrying openly. Folks around these parts prefer that you do not consume regardless of what the law does not prohibit. It just is one less for the hoplophobic to get their knickers all twisted up about.

You may also get advice/information/orders from some of the William & Mary students who moonight as waitstaff in the colonial dining establishments, trying to tell you "You cannot have that in here." Politely tell them they are incorrect and that they are interfering with your meal. If it goes beyond that you might want to quietly go look for the on-duty manager.

There is no need to contact the hotel/motel and ask them about their preferences. Most of them do not have a preference until/unless you ask them, so why bother poking that pointy stick in the first place. Unlike NC, there are very few places with prominent "NO FIREARMS" signs. If you missed one, be polite and excuse yourself and leave. Discussion, like resistence, is usually futile in the immediate setting.

Many of the roads in and around the Williamsburg area are part of the Colonial Parkway highway of the National Park Service, and a large number of places are part of the many National Parks between Williamsburg and Yorktown. Keep your eyes open and follow the rules, which mostly are about staying out of buildings where NPS employees routinely perform their jobs. (I'm not aware of any freestanding restrooms. If there are any they do not fall under the prohibited areas rule.)

Most likely the Jamestown-Scotland Neck Ferry will be a pleasant interlude for your family. Bring some bread or crackers to feed the seagulls as you cross the river. If you see a guy who looks like Santa Claus waiting in line for the ferry, get out of line and wait for the next boat.:lol: One day there might be a sign reading "Skidmark kilt him a troll here" and you can tell your children the story. If you do get across to the Surry side, check out our good friends at the Surry House Restaurant and tell them we said to stop by.

stay safe.

wylde007

While at Colonial Williamsburg try to get some time conversing with the Blacksmith, the Gunsmith, and any of the British Lobsterbacks that the King and his vile Parliment have saddled us with not only in our colony but in our homes! Those with a dry sense of humor (why is everybody looking at me?:uhoh:) enjoy conversing with them for the purpose of getting them to admit that the keeping and bearing of arms is lawful no matter how much they might wish otherwise. You can even ask for directions to go see your powder and shot in the Powderhouse, and see your muskets, lead and flints in the Armoury.
I have always enjoyed that story. Funny as hell.
Folks around these parts prefer that you do not consume regardless of what the law does not prohibit.
Clarification: "These parts" means this message board.
If you do get across to the Surry side, check out our good friends at the Surry House Restaurant and tell them we said to stop by.
Point of note: it is The Surrey House.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I too have open carried at Colonial Williamsburg several times. My wife and I actually went on our honeymoom there. I have never had a problem there at all. In fact, I usually get a bunch of positive comments.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Note.. this is not MY story, but that of a friend. Enjoy.. I did.
- - -

Summer of 2002

The girlfriend, (now wifey) and I decided we wanted to have a long weekend away from the hustle and bustle of NOVA and relax.

Being a colonial history buff I wanted to travel down to Historic Williamsburg and give her a guided tour as she had never been. Being as it was going to be a bit of a drive for us, and as I had recently been indoctrinated into the whole OC experience, I wanted to see if this would be a location I could open carry at. An extensive look at their website did not net me any information as to permitted or restricted, so I decided to try my luck and ask once I got down there.

On Saturday morning we left our hotel room and with Glock secured to my holster and on my belt, we drove to Colonial Williamsburg. We headed into town and first came to the blacksmith shop. The smithy was busy pounding away at a piece of iron and chatting with only 2 other tourists who seemed to only have a passing interest in his work. I walked over to him and asked him for a moment of his time, which he was only too happy to give me.

In a low voice I said I was legally carrying a firearm but wasn't sure of Williamsburg policy and could he tell me if it was allowed or forbidden. In a tone twice as loud as I had, he answered me. I'll try to recall his response as best as I can: "That good sir is one of the important questions now being asked by the brave men of the Continental congress. Should we as free men and women be allowed to carry arms and armament to protect the very vestment of the good lord, namely that of life and liberty? Do we have the right to protect our lands and lives against a tyrant and his army which care not for our safety and our children, but only for coins to be placed in his coffers? Nay good sir, stay your pistol upon your person and be ready to answer the call to fight not only for freedom and liberty, but for our homes and for principle!" Needless to say, I was smiling from ear to ear. I would have excepted a simple "yes, its allowed" but the smithy went all out to answer a question and to weave it into a historical context. It was to date the SECOND best response I had ever had.

The FIRST best came an hour after the experience with the smithy. We were walking down the main street, looking at various arts and crafts being offered (her idea) and enjoying the scenery. I got a glance or two with the Glock 17 on my waist, but mostly we were ignored. Ahead we saw a squad of British soldiers marching up the street and being led by a Major who was dressed to the nines. As they got close, one of the conscripts in the middle pointed over to me and proclaimed loudly Sir! That colonial is armed, shall we detain? The Major stopped the squad and looked at me. Again, I'll try and recall his response as best I can. While slowly walking towards me, he announced: "No Mister Danvers, while his majesty has proclaimed that any possession of pistol or musket is forbade and forbidden, these rabble pose no serious threat to either King nor Crown. For these colonist to believe they could ever stand up to the might of his Majesty's fine fighting men would be madness and that of sheer folly!. No. . .we will allow this one to keep his pistol. The Major then leaned in very close to me, so that only I could hear him and whispered to me "For now" He then walked back to the front of the squad and marched them along back down the street. We've gone back since then, but never got quite the same response as we did the first time.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I think that version is served at a different restaurant, see picture below (sorry, OP, it's sort of an inside joke); but all seriousness aside, when you visit Busch Gardens, keep in mind the requirements of the Virginia Amusement Device Rider Safety Act:
§ 59.1-520. Rider conduct; reports.

A. A rider, or his parent or guardian on a rider's behalf, shall report in writing to the owner or operator any injury sustained on an amusement device before leaving the owner's or operator's premises, or, if the parent or guardian is not present, then as soon as reasonably possible, including (i) the name, address, and phone number of the injured person; (ii) a full description of the incident, the injuries claimed, any treatment received, and the location, date, and time of the injury; (iii) the cause of the injury, if known; and (iv) the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses to the incident, if known by the rider or his parent or guardian. If the rider, or his parent or guardian on a rider's behalf, is unable to file a report because of the severity of his injuries, he shall file the report as soon as reasonably possible. The failure of a rider, or his parent or guardian on a rider's behalf, to report an injury under this subsection shall have no effect on the rider's right to commence a civil action.

B. A rider shall:

1. Obey the posted rules, warnings, and oral instructions for an amusement device issued by the owner, operator or an employee or agent of the owner or operator; and

2. Not intentionally act in any manner that may cause or contribute to injuring the rider or others, including:
a. Interfering with safe operation of the amusement device;
b. Failing to engage any safety devices that are provided;
c. Disconnecting or disabling a safety device except at the express instruction of the owner's or operator's agent or employee;
d. Altering or enhancing the intended speed, course, or direction of an amusement device;
e. Using the controls of an amusement device designed solely to be operated by the owner's or operator's agent or employee;
f. Throwing, intentionally dropping, or intentionally expelling an object from or toward an amusement device;
g. Getting on or off an amusement device except at the designated time and area, if any, at the direction of the owner's or operator's agent or employee, or in an emergency;
h. Not reasonably controlling the speed or direction of the rider or an amusement device that requires the rider to control or direct himself on a ride; and
i. Overloading an amusement device beyond its posted capacity.

Btw, it is my opinion that theme parks generally are avoiding the appearance of scary things like guns, and they don't really care what you bring into the park as long as it isn't visible to the other guests. They make a show of searching your fanny-pack, but won't ask to look for the shoulder holster inside your Hawaiian print shirt, and I've never seen anything like a metal detector at one of those places. They probably do have ways of spotting such things, and they do constant video surveillance ((:)shocker:))), but as long as you don't make a fuss they'll probably leave you alone. If it's not posted conspicuously, and no one tells you, "no guns allowed", I wouldn't worry about it, myself. If you do have actual notice that they don't allow firearms, e.g., you have to acknowledge that you've read terms and conditions in connection with the purchase, then you're on notice and carrying on private property when you've been told not to would constitute trespass.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

Most likely the Jamestown-Scotland Neck Ferry will be a pleasant interlude for your family. Bring some bread or crackers to feed the seagulls as you cross the river. stay safe.

DO NOT FEED THE SEAGULLS!!!

(Unless you want them to drop bombs upon your head or attack you when you run out of bread).

Seagulls are simply seagoing flying rats. Vile, disgusting nasty critters that fill their place in the food chain as scavengers but have little to no use otherwise. Tourists feeding seagulls is one of the least-welcome things a tourist can do to endear himself to locals. They are great for target practice (where legal of course), but most of us share a serious dislike for the nasty bastages...

ODA 226

Btw, it is my opinion that theme parks generally are avoiding the appearance of scary things like guns, and they don't really care what you bring into the park as long as it isn't visible to the other guests. They make a show of searching your fanny-pack, but won't ask to look for the shoulder holster inside your Hawaiian print shirt, and I've never seen anything like a metal detector at one of those places.

I thought it was pretty funny when BG security was searching my wife's purse for "weapons" while she was wearing a .357 Magnum revolver on her belt and I was wearing a 1911 .45 ACP on mine. Legally concealed of course! ;)

TFred

Local jurisdictions (such as Williamsburg) are prohibited from having firearms ordinances concerning carry any more restrictive than the State Law. Pre-emption is a wonderful thing.
I'm still catching up on threads after being out of town for a bit...

Just wanted to point out a slight correction on this. 15.2-915 prohibits all local ordinances "governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof..."

It does not allow any local ordinances regardless of whether they may be more, less or equally restrictive than state law. It's the "local" part that is banned, not the fact that they may or may not be more restrictive.

Also, regarding the hotel/motel issue... I've never seen a hotel or motel posted, so my question would be, why ask? I personally conceal at check-in, just so they don't have any reason to leave me homeless for a night. Unless it's included in a contract you have read and agreed to when you booked the room, a "no guns" policy would seem hard to enforce upon check-in. I believe User has opined on this before.

TFred