• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Williamsburg area

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Also, regarding the hotel/motel issue... I've never seen a hotel or motel posted, so my question would be, why ask? I personally conceal at check-in, just so they don't have any reason to leave me homeless for a night. Unless it's included in a contract you have read and agreed to when you booked the room, a "no guns" policy would seem hard to enforce upon check-in. I believe User has opined on this before.

TFred

IIRC, there was a big blow up at the NRA convention in Charlotte a few years ago as the host hotel had a "no firearms" sign at the front entrance.

Strelok

I'm also visiting Williamsburg for the week and while I'm mainly CC'ing (I'm trying out a new IWB holster) I haven't had any major issues yet.

I did have to call off plans to visit the original Jamestown site today. My wife and I took the shuttle there and I double checked my VCDL card to make sure it was OK to CC in a National Park. We already had our tickets ready to go and our plan was to head on to the site once we got off the shuttle. Unfortunately a massive Visitor's Center has been built and it prevents access to the Jamestown site without going through the building which is posted with a "No Firearms" warning as a federal building. I double checked with the bus driver and he confirmed that there's no way to get to the site without going through the posted building even if you already have tickets.

We'll probably try again sans 1911 tomorrow seeing the tickets are already paid for but I think my wife is just about ready to start a call to action against government tyranny in the spirit of Williamsburg, haha.

TFred

I'm also visiting Williamsburg for the week and while I'm mainly CC'ing (I'm trying out a new IWB holster) I haven't had any major issues yet.

I did have to call off plans to visit the original Jamestown site today. My wife and I took the shuttle there and I double checked my VCDL card to make sure it was OK to CC in a National Park. We already had our tickets ready to go and our plan was to head on to the site once we got off the shuttle. Unfortunately a massive Visitor's Center has been built and it prevents access to the Jamestown site without going through the building which is posted with a "No Firearms" warning as a federal building. I double checked with the bus driver and he confirmed that there's no way to get to the site without going through the posted building even if you already have tickets.

We'll probably try again sans 1911 tomorrow seeing the tickets are already paid for but I think my wife is just about ready to start a call to action against government tyranny in the spirit of Williamsburg, haha.
Someone should report this to the local CongressCritter and VCDL. :(

TFred

Strelok

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good call TFred, I just sent an email to Mr. Van Cleave. Hopefully it will make the next VA Alert as the fact that you have to enter through the federal Visitor's Center is not mentioned on the official Jamestown website at all:

http://www.nps.gov/jame/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Here's a Google Map look at the building:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...255,-76.777321&spn=0.003913,0.008256&t=h&z=18

I posted about this last year.
They also have a prohibition of dogs in the building so they have a way around the building into the site.
I posted a recording of the Ranger inside explaining it and reluctantly admitting OC was legal.
As I recall I got some wise ass remarks from a lounge lizzard in Nevada about secretly recording old ladies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There would seem to be a new effort to circumvent the NPS rule (guns OK) by forcing visitors to pass through a building (federal facility). :mad:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Time to bump this one, as the weekend for the trip is here.

Please give us an after-action report. Details and pictures will be doubly appreciated.

stay safe.

dmatting

One last question... if I decide to CC for any particular reason - most likely in the car - is there a mandatory notification rule for the LEOs? In NC a concealer has to notify a cop that they are packing.

Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Time to bump this one, as the weekend for the trip is here.

Please give us an after-action report. Details and pictures will be doubly appreciated.

stay safe.

Look forward to a report on his trip and do hope they spend lots of money to help support our local economy. :D

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
One last question... if I decide to CC for any particular reason - most likely in the car - is there a mandatory notification rule for the LEOs? In NC a concealer has to notify a cop that they are packing.

Thanks!
You do not need to tell the police you are carrying in VA. If you would like to notify as a courtesy feel free. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Thanks!

No mandatory requirement to give notice to a LEO - some do as a matter of courtesy though.
I will always, when asked for ID, verbally give me name and the general area in which I reside - that on the advice of my attorney. Remember that simply carrying a gun does not meet the test for RAS or PC.

If OCing, one is required to neither give ID nor show a permit - some people carry "sterile" when on foot. Can't show what you don't have.;)

I would not think that you will experience any problems in and about Williamsburg; nevertheless, I would develop the habit of carrying a good digital recorder. Its cheap insurance.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No mandatory requirement to give notice to a LEO - some do as a matter of courtesy though.
I will always, when asked for ID, verbally give me name and the general area in which I reside - that on the advice of my attorney. Remember that simply carrying a gun does not meet the test for RAS or PC.

If OCing, one is required to neither give ID nor show a permit - some people carry "sterile" when on foot. Can't show what you don't have.;)

I would not think that you will experience any problems in and about Williamsburg; nevertheless, I would develop the habit of carrying a good digital recorder. Its cheap insurance.

According to what my attorney told me, the law requires you to state your name and your actual residence address. And as case law in some counties demonstrates, there is no requirement to repeat it if the LEO was not paying full attention the first time.

But in your case, even a voice recording would most likely be incomprehensible.:uhoh:

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
According to what my attorney told me, the law requires you to state your name and your actual residence address. And as case law in some counties demonstrates, there is no requirement to repeat it if the LEO was not paying full attention the first time.

But in your case, even a voice recording would most likely be incomprehensible.:uhoh:

stay safe.

Your right Frack, numbers are important.

Could you repeat that part about paying attention, please.

Just making full use of my assets.

user

Accomplished Advocate
According to what my attorney told me, the law requires you to state your name and your actual residence address....

Well, just in case you're referring to your recent attorney, I must have failed to express myself clearly. If you're referring to your present attorney, I'm going to have to have a chat with someone.

The common law in Virginia requires one to identify himself orally in the night time when asked by a police officer (not interchangeable with "law enforcement officer" or "deputy"). However the U.S. Sup. Ct. says there is no requirement to identify one's self to anyone, much less to show papers (unless one is engaged in fishing, hunting, concealed carry, driving, or other activity for which proof of licensure can be required). But if you do identify yourself, you have to be truthful.

Take a look at this: http://virginialegaldefense.com/.../self_identification.txt

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The weekend's over. The trip should now be completed. Where's the after-action report with pictures?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not sure about the OP, but here are some pictures I took of the Jamestown Visitor's Center and the signage.

http://imgur.com/a/dfL3l

There is a completely separate thread somewhere regarding Jamestown which is part NPS land and as such, they can and do restrict guns in the buildings where employees normally work, but not on the grounds.

Historic Williamsburg, on the other hand, is private property owned by the Rockerfeller Foundation - they do not ban guns in either buildings or on the grounds.