Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Moron harassing us while shooting....

  1. #1
    Regular Member Fabricator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hall County
    Posts
    65

    Added "RECIPE" Moron harassing us while shooting....

    A friend of mine and I went to my Dad's place to test a few .38spl and .40 S&W handloads last weekend. We also brought a few homemade binary target markers (like Tannerite) to test, as we had just dug up a formula and were eager to test it. He has 40 acres in rural Northeast GA with an area that is safe to shoot. This is chicken and cow country; but a subdivision was built (one of those "made by the mile; cut by the yard" manufactured communities) about two fields over from his place (guessing the nearest homes at 1/4 mile, with the balance much farther). As soon as we started shooting we hear someone with a powerful PA system/bullhorn yell: "Stop shooting now" in an authoritative voice, coming from off our left shoulder. Being aware that there was a remote chance there were DNR fellas was in the woods, I cupped my hands over my mouth and hollered back "who are you?" there was a long pause and a reply along the lines of "youre about to know"..... Satisfied that such an undignified response was not that of DNR or any LEO, we commenced shooting handguns once more. Bear in mind that this was slow-fire stuff through a chonograph. After putting up with as much of his continued yelling as we could stand; we decided to create a disturbance worthy of his complaints , we decided to test one of homemade "tannerite targets" with the Mosin-nagant that we brought along for the purpose..... We placed a 1lb target at about 75 yards and commenced to trying to hit it.... My friend connects on his 3d shot (not bad for a 5" x5" target offhand).... Listen for the response from our neighborhood heckeler after the target detonates... "Now you're just being an a$$hole..." We finished off two more targets without another peep from him! The rest of the afternoon's shooting was devoid of "Mr PA system"..... Weve been shooting there for 15 years, and this is the first event of its kind...



    Fabricator
    Last edited by Fabricator; 10-17-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added "cookie" recipe...

  2. #2
    Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    546
    sounds like tin-can-man was trying to watch "glee" and didnt like the noise. should have wooped out a bullhorn of your own and told him which isle of walmart carries the earplugs :-D
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

  3. #3
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Nice shot with iron sights to boot!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Nice shooting!!! The guy in the background just makes the video so much better.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Doesn't your county have a noise control ordinance that says such uses of bullhorns is not permitted?

    I'd look into that and if there is a next tme I'd call the Sheriff and make a formal complaint.

    But then everybody knows I am always trying to get folks to follow the rules and work within the system.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    98
    I would have bump fired several 30 rnd mags with my Saiga and then followed up a "Do what now?" lol

  7. #7
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Doesn't your county have a noise control ordinance that says such uses of bullhorns is not permitted? I'd look into that and if there is a next tme I'd call the Sheriff and make a formal complaint. But then everybody knows I am always trying to get folks to follow the rules and work within the system.
    I suggest caution before appealing to the law after admitting detonation of a regulated explosive. The components of Tannerite are individually and separately nearly unregulated, but mixed are quite regulated. In different proportions they make a fine propellant as for childhood rockets.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Fabricator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hall County
    Posts
    65
    White county GA does not have a noise ordenance; not for "tannerite" nor for bullhorns. I'm all for being respectful, however; this development was specially re-zoned residential and is literally surrounded by active farms; it's nice blacktop streets are actually accessed by nearly 3/4 mile of gravel roads.... Expect to smell livestock, hear equipment and yes, at times gunfire... I sincerely found it humorous, and will not be contacting law enforcment. We will, however; be shooting again soon!

    Fabricator

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Couldn't find a stump that needed removal by dynamite, detonated by tannerite, itself exploded by a high-powered round from firearm, eh?
    Last edited by since9; 10-03-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  10. #10
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524
    We use to hunt near an east Texas town. There was a man that had 260 acres and raised about 10 hogs. The land was owned by his family since 1859. The hogs were penned about 300 yards from an extremely nice subdivision that bordered his property and was located there when the homes were built.

    The HOA sued him to remove the hogpen because of the smell when the wind was blowing in a certain direction. After all appeals were done, he had won and the ruling said he could place the hogpen anywhere on his property he wished. UH-OH!!!! He moved it to border the subdivision and bought an additional 100 hogs. He also thought to install game cameras and the chairman of the HOA and his #2 went promptly to jail for shooting some of his hogs.

    You really need to be careful who you mess with.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  11. #11
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164
    There are also still many "public profanity" laws on the books in southern states, which he clearly violates with his a-hole comment

    The problem with what you did is that BATFE is the regulatory agency for explosives ... are you SURE you were in compliance with all local, state, and fed ordinances and statutes in regards to the manufacture, transportation, and ignition of said tannerite?

    On the other hand, a black powder cannon does not require any specific licenses, permits or variences in most places (IIRC, some town in KY or TN, maybe PA has an ordinance on the books about not firing a cannon on Sundays)

    IMHO, you need to make more tannerite to test and invite a LEO FRIEND out to participate ... demonstrating your adherance to safety rules, of course
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  12. #12
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    There are also still many "public profanity" laws on the books in southern states, which he clearly violates with his a-hole comment

    The problem with what you did is that BATFE is the regulatory agency for explosives ... are you SURE you were in compliance with all local, state, and fed ordinances and statutes in regards to the manufacture, transportation, and ignition of said tannerite?

    On the other hand, a black powder cannon does not require any specific licenses, permits or variences in most places (IIRC, some town in KY or TN, maybe PA has an ordinance on the books about not firing a cannon on Sundays)

    IMHO, you need to make more tannerite to test and invite a LEO FRIEND out to participate ... demonstrating your adherance to safety rules, of course


    ....and also find someone who has a cannon, or several people with cannons and invite them out to shoot...

  13. #13
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Happy ending to a good story, Rodbender!

    Posted using my HTC Evo

  14. #14
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    I suggest caution before appealing to the law after admitting detonation of a regulated explosive. The components of Tannerite are individually and separately nearly unregulated, but mixed are quite regulated. In different proportions they make a fine propellant as for childhood rockets.
    You can buy tannerite for 25 bucks off the internet. Heck, I can buy 20 1/2 pound target cannisters for 75 bucks, and they don't alert feds or do a background check. It's a very stable explosive even when mixrd and takes quite a bit of force (impact) to detonate. I don't think it really even is regulated by feds, but might fall under local rules for use/handling of explosives.

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  15. #15
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    It is regulated by the feds. 1 once mixed is considered an explosive and is illegal to store, it's illegal to own more than 50lbs. And I am sure there are other regulations.

  16. #16
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    It is regulated by the feds. 1 once mixed is considered an explosive and is illegal to store, it's illegal to own more than 50lbs. And I am sure there are other regulations.
    Yep, as soon as it is classified as an explosive, there are definitely regulations about transportation. And, you better bet that if it crossed into any school zones, the fines will double or even triple

    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    You can buy tannerite for 25 bucks off the internet. Heck, I can buy 20 1/2 pound target cannisters for 75 bucks, and they don't alert feds or do a background check. It's a very stable explosive even when mixrd and takes quite a bit of force (impact) to detonate. I don't think it really even is regulated by feds, but might fall under local rules for use/handling of explosives.
    Really? Your cite is availability on the internet?
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Since people are arguing about the legality of tannerite, I'll ask the important question. Can someone cite an actual law or are we just blowing smoke?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-04-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  18. #18
    Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    546
    right off the tanerite website

    snip

    "The federal government, not the state, governs the manufacture of explosives. They specifically exempt the need for an explosives manufacturing license in five separate statutes. In the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Publication 5400. Q&A section, question #48 expressly addresses that a license that a license is not needed for personal, non-commercial manufacture and use of binary explosives."
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

  19. #19
    Regular Member Trent91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Muskogee, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    100
    I just have to say that that video is HILLARIOUS!! I need to get my hands on a few targets like that!!

    Great job!!

  20. #20
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    now your just being an a$$hole!
    lmao!!!

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran Verd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lampe, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post
    A friend of mine and I went to my Dad's place to test a few .38spl and .40 S&W handloads last weekend. We also brought a few homemade binary target markers (like Tannerite) to test, as we had just dug up a formula and were eager to test it. He has 40 acres in rural Northeast GA with an area that is safe to shoot. This is chicken and cow country; but a subdivision was built (one of those "made by the mile; cut by the yard" manufactured communities) about two fields over from his place (guessing the nearest homes at 1/4 mile, with the balance much farther). As soon as we started shooting we hear someone with a powerful PA system/bullhorn yell: "Stop shooting now" in an authoritative voice, coming from off our left shoulder. Being aware that there was a remote chance there were DNR fellas was in the woods, I cupped my hands over my mouth and hollered back "who are you?" there was a long pause and a reply along the lines of "youre about to know"..... Satisfied that such an undignified response was not that of DNR or any LEO, we commenced shooting handguns once more. Bear in mind that this was slow-fire stuff through a chonograph. After putting up with as much of his continued yelling as we could stand; we decided to create a disturbance worthy of his complaints , we decided to test one of homemade "tannerite targets" with the Mosin-nagant that we brought along for the purpose..... We placed a 1lb target at about 75 yards and commenced to trying to hit it.... My friend connects on his 3d shot (not bad for a 5" x5" target offhand).... Listen for the response from our neighborhood heckeler after the target detonates... "Now you're just being an a$$hole..." We finished off two more targets without another peep from him! The rest of the afternoon's shooting was devoid of "Mr PA system"..... Weve been shooting there for 15 years, and this is the first event of its kind...



    Fabricator
    I freaking love this! And, any thoughts on posting or directing me where I can find out how to make my own Tannerite homemades?

    Also, I am wanting to pick up a mosin-nagant, but am curious about the recoil... is it like a 12gauge, less than, or worse?
    Last edited by Verd; 10-12-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    I freaking love this! And, any thoughts on posting or directing me where I can find out how to make my own Tannerite homemades?

    Also, I am wanting to pick up a mosin-nagant, but am curious about the recoil... is it like a 12gauge, less than, or worse?
    I find the recoil on my Mosin to be more than bearable, and I am skinny as a rail. In terms of a 12 gauge, I would say the feeling is similar but don't let it dissuade you. They are cheap to get and a blast to shoot.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran Verd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lampe, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I find the recoil on my Mosin to be more than bearable, and I am skinny as a rail. In terms of a 12 gauge, I would say the feeling is similar but don't let it dissuade you. They are cheap to get and a blast to shoot.
    Sweet! Thanks!
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

  24. #24
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    I freaking love this! And, any thoughts on posting or directing me where I can find out how to make my own Tannerite homemades?

    Also, I am wanting to pick up a mosin-nagant, but am curious about the recoil... is it like a 12gauge, less than, or worse?
    Google is your friend.

    Posted using my HTC Evo

  25. #25
    Regular Member Fabricator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hall County
    Posts
    65
    Sorry to have missed the "activity" on the thread... As far as a recipe.... Well, you asked:

    Ratios are by weight

    95% part "A" to 5% part "B" (1lb of "A" to 0.8oz of "B", note; 0.8oz = appx 350 grains)

    Part "A" is just Ammonium Nitrate fretilizer (About $8 for a 50lb bag). It MUST be 34-0-0, not anything else. It does not need to be ground into powder; the "test" in the video was done with the regular spherical "prill" that most fertilizers come in. Be sure it is dry before "bagging/storing". I placed 5 lbs on cookie trays in a 200 degree oven for 30-45 minutes, then broke up the clumps in a bucket with a block of wood. I then bagged it in 1 gallon Ziplock freezer bags to keep it dry. Do not store or transport a/b mixed, and don't make/posess more than 50 lbs....

    Part "B" is "deoxidized" aluminum powder. I suggest a minimum of 200 mesh. In my test, I used 600 mesh "dark pyrotechnic grade". A 2.5lb bag was $12 on Ebay with shipping....

    To facilitate safe range mixing, I measured the desired amount of "A" (the test was a pound) at home into a 32 oz yogurt tub and drew a line at that level for reference; I wanted to volumetrically measure it in the field. I did the same with part "B" by measuring 350 grains into an old pill bottle, and cutting it off at the correct volume. Once at the shooting area, I poured the components together into a 1 gallon pail (in the correct ratio, of course), and stirred with a wooden spoon..... The mixed result was poured into a quart-sixed zipper bag, wrapped in cheap black tape, and summarily shot.... It seems that 2000fps was close to the minimum velocity needed to set it off. Be sure there's not a lot of loose gravel or debris nearby, and for goodness sakes, stay 100 yards away. If you are a lousy marksman, and make a 5lb pounder, get farther away.... My personal favorite is plastic snuff cans at 100 yards.... Try it with your old iron-sighted battle fifles if you feel lucky

    Note: I am not advocating you folks actually DO this, as you could get killed .... Read up on this stuff, and follow common sense guidelines with guns and regulated explosives; this may not be legal in YOUR state. The brand name stuff has titanuim dioxide as well (2.5% by weight), but I did not use it in my test. It can be also sensitized with other compounds as well and used with rimfire and other lower-velocity rounds, but I would highly recommend you use steel silhouettes instead with your .22's, and will not post how to sensitize this mixture. It is ill-advised to do without chemistry knowledge.... Stay safe and enjoy it responsibly.

    Fabricator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •