• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moron harassing us while shooting....

Fabricator

Added "RECIPE" Moron harassing us while shooting....

A friend of mine and I went to my Dad's place to test a few .38spl and .40 S&W handloads last weekend. We also brought a few homemade binary target markers (like Tannerite) to test, as we had just dug up a formula and were eager to test it. He has 40 acres in rural Northeast GA with an area that is safe to shoot. This is chicken and cow country; but a subdivision was built (one of those "made by the mile; cut by the yard" manufactured communities) about two fields over from his place (guessing the nearest homes at 1/4 mile, with the balance much farther). As soon as we started shooting we hear someone with a powerful PA system/bullhorn yell: "Stop shooting now" in an authoritative voice, coming from off our left shoulder. Being aware that there was a remote chance there were DNR fellas was in the woods, I cupped my hands over my mouth and hollered back "who are you?" there was a long pause and a reply along the lines of "youre about to know"..... Satisfied that such an undignified response was not that of DNR or any LEO, we commenced shooting handguns once more. Bear in mind that this was slow-fire stuff through a chonograph. After putting up with as much of his continued yelling as we could stand; we decided to create a disturbance worthy of his complaints :lol:, we decided to test one of homemade "tannerite targets" with the Mosin-nagant that we brought along for the purpose..... We placed a 1lb target at about 75 yards and commenced to trying to hit it.... My friend connects on his 3d shot (not bad for a 5" x5" target offhand).... Listen for the response from our neighborhood heckeler after the target detonates... "Now you're just being an a$$hole..." We finished off two more targets without another peep from him! The rest of the afternoon's shooting was devoid of "Mr PA system"..... Weve been shooting there for 15 years, and this is the first event of its kind...

Fabricator

Last edited:

carry for myself

sounds like tin-can-man was trying to watch "glee" and didnt like the noise. should have wooped out a bullhorn of your own and told him which isle of walmart carries the earplugs :-D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Doesn't your county have a noise control ordinance that says such uses of bullhorns is not permitted?

I'd look into that and if there is a next tme I'd call the Sheriff and make a formal complaint.

But then everybody knows I am always trying to get folks to follow the rules and work within the system.:uhoh:

stay safe.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Doesn't your county have a noise control ordinance that says such uses of bullhorns is not permitted? I'd look into that and if there is a next tme I'd call the Sheriff and make a formal complaint. But then everybody knows I am always trying to get folks to follow the rules and work within the system.
I suggest caution before appealing to the law after admitting detonation of a regulated explosive. The components of Tannerite are individually and separately nearly unregulated, but mixed are quite regulated. In different proportions they make a fine propellant as for childhood rockets.

Fabricator

White county GA does not have a noise ordenance; not for "tannerite" nor for bullhorns. I'm all for being respectful, however; this development was specially re-zoned residential and is literally surrounded by active farms; it's nice blacktop streets are actually accessed by nearly 3/4 mile of gravel roads.... Expect to smell livestock, hear equipment and yes, at times gunfire... I sincerely found it humorous, and will not be contacting law enforcment. We will, however; be shooting again soon!

Fabricator

since9

Campaign Veteran
Couldn't find a stump that needed removal by dynamite, detonated by tannerite, itself exploded by a high-powered round from firearm, eh?

Last edited:

rodbender

We use to hunt near an east Texas town. There was a man that had 260 acres and raised about 10 hogs. The land was owned by his family since 1859. The hogs were penned about 300 yards from an extremely nice subdivision that bordered his property and was located there when the homes were built.

The HOA sued him to remove the hogpen because of the smell when the wind was blowing in a certain direction. After all appeals were done, he had won and the ruling said he could place the hogpen anywhere on his property he wished. UH-OH!!!! He moved it to border the subdivision and bought an additional 100 hogs. He also thought to install game cameras and the chairman of the HOA and his #2 went promptly to jail for shooting some of his hogs.

You really need to be careful who you mess with.

okboomer

There are also still many "public profanity" laws on the books in southern states, which he clearly violates with his a-hole comment :lol:

The problem with what you did is that BATFE is the regulatory agency for explosives ... are you SURE you were in compliance with all local, state, and fed ordinances and statutes in regards to the manufacture, transportation, and ignition of said tannerite?

On the other hand, a black powder cannon does not require any specific licenses, permits or variences in most places (IIRC, some town in KY or TN, maybe PA has an ordinance on the books about not firing a cannon on Sundays)

IMHO, you need to make more tannerite to test and invite a LEO FRIEND out to participate ... demonstrating your adherance to safety rules, of course :banana:

HKcarrier

There are also still many "public profanity" laws on the books in southern states, which he clearly violates with his a-hole comment :lol:

The problem with what you did is that BATFE is the regulatory agency for explosives ... are you SURE you were in compliance with all local, state, and fed ordinances and statutes in regards to the manufacture, transportation, and ignition of said tannerite?

On the other hand, a black powder cannon does not require any specific licenses, permits or variences in most places (IIRC, some town in KY or TN, maybe PA has an ordinance on the books about not firing a cannon on Sundays)

IMHO, you need to make more tannerite to test and invite a LEO FRIEND out to participate ... demonstrating your adherance to safety rules, of course :banana:

....and also find someone who has a cannon, or several people with cannons and invite them out to shoot... ;)

Baked on Grease

I suggest caution before appealing to the law after admitting detonation of a regulated explosive. The components of Tannerite are individually and separately nearly unregulated, but mixed are quite regulated. In different proportions they make a fine propellant as for childhood rockets.

You can buy tannerite for 25 bucks off the internet. Heck, I can buy 20 1/2 pound target cannisters for 75 bucks, and they don't alert feds or do a background check. It's a very stable explosive even when mixrd and takes quite a bit of force (impact) to detonate. I don't think it really even is regulated by feds, but might fall under local rules for use/handling of explosives.

Sent using tapatalk

Jack House

It is regulated by the feds. 1 once mixed is considered an explosive and is illegal to store, it's illegal to own more than 50lbs. And I am sure there are other regulations.

okboomer

It is regulated by the feds. 1 once mixed is considered an explosive and is illegal to store, it's illegal to own more than 50lbs. And I am sure there are other regulations.

Yep, as soon as it is classified as an explosive, there are definitely regulations about transportation. And, you better bet that if it crossed into any school zones, the fines will double or even triple

You can buy tannerite for 25 bucks off the internet. Heck, I can buy 20 1/2 pound target cannisters for 75 bucks, and they don't alert feds or do a background check. It's a very stable explosive even when mixrd and takes quite a bit of force (impact) to detonate. I don't think it really even is regulated by feds, but might fall under local rules for use/handling of explosives.

Really? Your cite is availability on the internet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Since people are arguing about the legality of tannerite, I'll ask the important question. Can someone cite an actual law or are we just blowing smoke?

Last edited:

carry for myself

right off the tanerite website

snip

"The federal government, not the state, governs the manufacture of explosives. They specifically exempt the need for an explosives manufacturing license in five separate statutes. In the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Publication 5400. Q&A section, question #48 expressly addresses that a license that a license is not needed for personal, non-commercial manufacture and use of binary explosives."