• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moron harassing us while shooting....

Verd

Campaign Veteran
A friend of mine and I went to my Dad's place to test a few .38spl and .40 S&W handloads last weekend. We also brought a few homemade binary target markers (like Tannerite) to test, as we had just dug up a formula and were eager to test it. He has 40 acres in rural Northeast GA with an area that is safe to shoot. This is chicken and cow country; but a subdivision was built (one of those "made by the mile; cut by the yard" manufactured communities) about two fields over from his place (guessing the nearest homes at 1/4 mile, with the balance much farther). As soon as we started shooting we hear someone with a powerful PA system/bullhorn yell: "Stop shooting now" in an authoritative voice, coming from off our left shoulder. Being aware that there was a remote chance there were DNR fellas was in the woods, I cupped my hands over my mouth and hollered back "who are you?" there was a long pause and a reply along the lines of "youre about to know"..... Satisfied that such an undignified response was not that of DNR or any LEO, we commenced shooting handguns once more. Bear in mind that this was slow-fire stuff through a chonograph. After putting up with as much of his continued yelling as we could stand; we decided to create a disturbance worthy of his complaints :lol:, we decided to test one of homemade "tannerite targets" with the Mosin-nagant that we brought along for the purpose..... We placed a 1lb target at about 75 yards and commenced to trying to hit it.... My friend connects on his 3d shot (not bad for a 5" x5" target offhand).... Listen for the response from our neighborhood heckeler after the target detonates... "Now you're just being an a$$hole..." We finished off two more targets without another peep from him! The rest of the afternoon's shooting was devoid of "Mr PA system"..... Weve been shooting there for 15 years, and this is the first event of its kind...

Fabricator

I freaking love this! And, any thoughts on posting or directing me where I can find out how to make my own Tannerite homemades?

Also, I am wanting to pick up a mosin-nagant, but am curious about the recoil... is it like a 12gauge, less than, or worse?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I freaking love this! And, any thoughts on posting or directing me where I can find out how to make my own Tannerite homemades?

Also, I am wanting to pick up a mosin-nagant, but am curious about the recoil... is it like a 12gauge, less than, or worse?

I find the recoil on my Mosin to be more than bearable, and I am skinny as a rail. In terms of a 12 gauge, I would say the feeling is similar but don't let it dissuade you. They are cheap to get and a blast to shoot.

Jack House

Google is your friend.

Posted using my HTC Evo

Fabricator

Sorry to have missed the "activity" on the thread... As far as a recipe.... Well, you asked:

Ratios are by weight

95% part "A" to 5% part "B" (1lb of "A" to 0.8oz of "B", note; 0.8oz = appx 350 grains)

Part "A" is just Ammonium Nitrate fretilizer (About $8 for a 50lb bag). It MUST be 34-0-0, not anything else. It does not need to be ground into powder; the "test" in the video was done with the regular spherical "prill" that most fertilizers come in. Be sure it is dry before "bagging/storing". I placed 5 lbs on cookie trays in a 200 degree oven for 30-45 minutes, then broke up the clumps in a bucket with a block of wood. I then bagged it in 1 gallon Ziplock freezer bags to keep it dry. Do not store or transport a/b mixed, and don't make/posess more than 50 lbs....

Part "B" is "deoxidized" aluminum powder. I suggest a minimum of 200 mesh. In my test, I used 600 mesh "dark pyrotechnic grade". A 2.5lb bag was $12 on Ebay with shipping....

To facilitate safe range mixing, I measured the desired amount of "A" (the test was a pound) at home into a 32 oz yogurt tub and drew a line at that level for reference; I wanted to volumetrically measure it in the field. I did the same with part "B" by measuring 350 grains into an old pill bottle, and cutting it off at the correct volume. Once at the shooting area, I poured the components together into a 1 gallon pail (in the correct ratio, of course), and stirred with a wooden spoon..... The mixed result was poured into a quart-sixed zipper bag, wrapped in cheap black tape, and summarily shot.... It seems that 2000fps was close to the minimum velocity needed to set it off. Be sure there's not a lot of loose gravel or debris nearby, and for goodness sakes, stay 100 yards away. If you are a lousy marksman, and make a 5lb pounder, get farther away.... My personal favorite is plastic snuff cans at 100 yards.... Try it with your old iron-sighted battle fifles if you feel lucky :D

Note: I am not advocating you folks actually DO this, as you could get killed :rolleyes:.... Read up on this stuff, and follow common sense guidelines with guns and regulated explosives; this may not be legal in YOUR state. The brand name stuff has titanuim dioxide as well (2.5% by weight), but I did not use it in my test. It can be also sensitized with other compounds as well and used with rimfire and other lower-velocity rounds, but I would highly recommend you use steel silhouettes instead with your .22's, and will not post how to sensitize this mixture. It is ill-advised to do without chemistry knowledge.... Stay safe and enjoy it responsibly.

Fabricator