• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOJ Considering Elimination of ATF

griffin

Multiple sources, including sources from ATF, DOJ and Congressional offices have said there is a white paper circulating within the Department of Justice, outlining the essential elimination of ATF. According to sources, the paper outlines the firing of at least 450 ATF agents in an effort to conduct damage control as Operation Fast and Furious gets uglier and as election day 2012 gets closer. ATF agents wouldn’t be reassigned to other positions, just simply let go. Current duties of ATF, including the enforcement of explosives and gun laws, would be transferred to other agencies, possibly the FBI and the DEA. According to a congressional source, there have been rumblings about the elimination of ATF for quite sometime, but the move would require major political capital to actually happen.

Sounds great right? Eliminating ATF? But there is more to this story.

http://townhall.com/columnists/kati...doj_considering_elimination_of_atf/page/full/

griffin

Last week, ATF offered 400 agents buy outs to avoid budget cuts and is expecting 250-275 agents to take the offer through Voluntary Early Retirement. These buyouts come at a convenient time for the Justice Department, which can eliminate ATF, then say it’s because of budget cuts, when really, it’s to cover their tracks.

fozzy71

Souns like someone at the DOJ has a MM card and a CPL.

orly?

...... Current duties of ATF, including the enforcement of explosives and gun laws, would be transferred to other agencies, possibly the FBI and the DEA. According to a congressional source, there have been rumblings about the elimination of ATF for quite sometime, but the move would require major political capital to actually happen.

http://townhall.com/columnists/kati...doj_considering_elimination_of_atf/page/full/

^

alphamale

Ronald Regan called for the elimination of the BATF when he campaigned for office.

Let's call our elected officials on this both State and Federal, I am all for getting rid of the ATF.

Multiple sources, including sources from ATF, DOJ and Congressional offices have said there is a white paper circulating within the Department of Justice, outlining the essential elimination of ATF. According to sources, the paper outlines the firing of at least 450 ATF agents in an effort to conduct damage control as Operation Fast and Furious gets uglier and as election day 2012 gets closer. ATF agents wouldn’t be reassigned to other positions, just simply let go. Current duties of ATF, including the enforcement of explosives and gun laws, would be transferred to other agencies, possibly the FBI and the DEA. According to a congressional source, there have been rumblings about the elimination of ATF for quite sometime, but the move would require major political capital to actually happen.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

309414-bh_cartman.jpg

PDinDetroit

PD your such a killjoy today :)

Did someone WE know tinkle in your corn flakes ?

Nope, just think the conversation belongs elsewhere (OCDO General Discussion). I think it is topic to be discussed, have not stated otherwise...

How many stickies does MI have? How much "extraneous information" does a newbie to OCDO have to weed through just to get to MI Specific Information? Simply a matter of organization...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Nope, just think the conversation belongs elsewhere (OCDO General Discussion). I think it is topic to be discussed, have not stated otherwise...

How many stickies does MI have? How much "extraneous information" does a newbie to OCDO have to weed through just to get to MI Specific Information? Simply a matter of organization...

I must say I concur regarding the # of stickies here. I really think those should be limited a bit more. Perhaps if the search function worked a bit better, it wouldn't be such an issue, but this is just conjecture. Probably more a problem based upon the success of this sub-forum; there is much more activity here some days than other state forums get over two months. My opinion as to "why" really is not a criticism of other state's forums, rather I believe it speaks to the knowledge here regarding Michigan firearm law compared to what often can be found on other Michigan-based websites, so...
Good job people, by making this popular we may be making it less user friendly. Note: the opinions I've expressed are based upon nothing more than letting my thoughts wander... and are about as useful as wandering thoughts can ever be...

WARCHILD

I must say I concur regarding the # of stickies here. I really think those should be limited a bit more. Perhaps if the search function worked a bit better, it wouldn't be such an issue, but this is just conjecture. Probably more a problem based upon the success of this sub-forum; there is much more activity here some days than other state forums get over two months. My opinion as to "why" really is not a criticism of other state's forums, rather I believe it speaks to the knowledge here regarding Michigan firearm law compared to what often can be found on other Michigan-based websites, so...
Good job people, by making this popular we may be making it less user friendly. Note: the opinions I've expressed are based upon nothing more than letting my thoughts wander... and are about as useful as wandering thoughts can ever be...

I think you're spot on Doc T.
Keep in mind, most of the time, your "wandering thoughts" contain more sensible applied logic than some of us (including me); who must squeeze a fair amount of grey matter to form a thought, express an opinion,
and hope the keyboard doesn't get it wrong typing it out and the intent be misunderstood. :uhoh:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Honestly the best place to find info related to firearm carry in Michigan is to go to http://www.firearmowners.com/

Yep, good spot to go also. Another great website regarding other state's laws is www.handgunlaw.us... covers Michigan laws pretty well too for such broad coverage. But, I still would give the discussions here, although in no way legal advice, a very high rating. I think this website has taught me more, directly and indirectly, about all of my constitutional rights than any other place on the net.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I don't think they mean that they wouldn't enforce federal firearm law; the DOJ would probably just have a group within the agency do so. So, I really don't think it means that much in the everyday affairs of gun owners. I could be wrong, though.