• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leesburg Airshow October 1st, 2011

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hey everyone,

Today there is an airshow at the Leesburg Executive Airport. I am here now getting ready to set up the VCDL table. The show is from 11am-4pm. It is free admittance and parking. I encourage all of you in the area to come OC for a little bit and perhaps drop a donation off at the VCDL table.

http://www.leesburgairshow.com

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Hey everyone,

Today there is an airshow at the Leesburg Executive Airport. I am here now getting ready to set up the VCDL table. The show is from 11am-4pm. It is free admittance and parking. I encourage all of you in the area to come OC for a little bit and perhaps drop a donation off at the VCDL table.

http://www.leesburgairshow.com

I will be there too.. I hope the weather holds!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, despite the horrible weather we were able to raise a little bit of money for VCDL. We gave out a bunch of "Guns save lives" stickers (thanks Ed). We also answered a lot of questions. I did not notice any negative reactions to our table or the fact that a couple of us were open carrying. Thanks to everyone that came to help!

Blk97F150

The family and I made it to the airshow today... for a short while anyway. It was MUCH colder up there then when we left the house! We were unprepared for the temps, so the kids didn't last very long.

I didn't see the VCDL tent until we were headed for the exit... but by then the kids were 'done', and it was raining pretty hard anyway, so we just kept going.

opencarrypalmtrees

wait don't we need to change the law first before we carry at the airport???

Guys what about this statue law? Doesn't this apply to the leesburg airport as well? We need the airport clause of this law. I wanted to go to the air show but I saw this law and i don't like to go to places that don't allow me to open carry my pistol : ) Anyway lets change this law. If i am wrong about the way to interpret this law, please reply to the thread. ty.

§ 18.2-287.01. Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or transport into any air carrier airport terminal in the Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind,

(ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon, and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any weapon possessed or transported in violation of this section shall be forfeited to the Commonwealth and disposed of as provided in subsection A of § 18.2-308.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, or conservation police officer, or conservator of the peace employed by the air carrier airport, nor shall the provisions of this section apply to any passenger of an airline who, to the extent otherwise permitted by law, transports a lawful firearm, weapon, or ammunition into or out of an air carrier airport terminal for the sole purposes, respectively, of (i) presenting such firearm, weapon, or ammunition to U.S. Customs agents in advance of an international flight, in order to comply with federal law, (ii) checking such firearm, weapon, or ammunition with his luggage, or (iii) retrieving such firearm, weapon, or ammunition from the baggage claim area.

Any other statute, rule, regulation, or ordinance specifically addressing the possession or transportation of weapons in any airport in the Commonwealth shall be invalid, and this section shall control.

altajava

From VCDL:

Virginia has 72 airports. Only 9 of these 72 airports are classified as "air carrier airports" and are thus affected by the gun ban in §18.2-287.01.

An email from the Office of the Governor, dated June 3, 2004, identified the following as the "air carrier airports" in Virginia:

Reagan National Arlington, VA
Charlottesville Regional Charlottesville, VA
Dulles InternationalChantilly, VA
Lynchburg Municipal Lynchburg, VA
Newport News . Williamsburg Regional Newport News, VA
Norfolk International Norfolk, VA
Richmond International Richmond, VA
Roanoke Regional Roanoke, VA
Shenandoah Valley Regional Staunton, VA