Thread: Oc at county fair

Oc at county fair

Wayne county fair. Can i OC?

mattwestm
    Not if they charge admission. The Pitt county fair charges admission, so I am unable to carry.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Not if admission is charged.

see section (a)

14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    (b) This section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
    (3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

So just to clarify, although admission is charged on a normal day at the fair, is it legal to oc during the day(s) admission is free? Assuming there are no gun busters and what not. Technically admission is not being "charged" for entry.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    I don't think I own a pair of boots high enough for that marshy thicket of interpretation.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brion View Post
    Wayne county fair. Can i OC?
    They do charge a separate admission fee.

Adult Admission: $6.00
    K-12 Student Admission: $3.00

http://waynefair.com/tickets/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Oliver View Post
    So just to clarify, although admission is charged on a normal day at the fair, is it legal to oc during the day(s) admission is free? Assuming there are no gun busters and what not. Technically admission is not being "charged" for entry.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    I think that walking a real thin line.

I know that at one of the Fairs here in Greensboro, I had to go put my knives back in the car. "No Weapons"

Quote Originally Posted by MidnighToker View Post
    I think that walking a real thin line.

I know that at one of the Fairs here in Greensboro, I had to go put my knives back in the car. "No Weapons"
    Knives? as in more than one? did u have throwing stars or a kitchen knife set? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustMylan View Post
    Knives? as in more than one? did u have throwing stars or a kitchen knife set? LOL.
    Lol...yeah, 2. Have a smaller plain edge clipped in my front pocket and a larger combo blade in a sheath at my back. Much prefer the plain edge, but every once in a while that serrated is needed, so....

Pitt County Fair

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Not if they charge admission. The Pitt county fair charges admission, so I am unable to carry.
    One of the food booths is operated by the Pitt County Law Enforcement Officers Association. Additionally, there are lots of Deputies scattered around the fairgrounds. I can tell you that there are lots of folks carrying during our fair. So if any problems arise, they are taken care of quickly, with a minimum of fuss.

If no admission you can try but I bet you run into a no weapons sign or are turned away at the gate. All completely legal ways to keep you from open carrying.

there were signs when i was there last year.

Do any of the vendors sell beer for consumption on the fairgrounds?

It would be really interesting, however, to get an official definition of "assembly" in NC. I take it to mean something more like a movie theater or music concert -- where everyone is generally doing and participating in the same activity during the same time period. I would really wonder if you could call a fair an "assembly" since you have everyone doing their own thing at their own time.

That said, however, if you get on a ride that charges...then they could get you that way...so stay outta the fun house! :-)
    Last edited by carolina guy; 09-19-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.